• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What should my first gun be?

HansUser

imported post

Hello,

So I've decided to purchase my own self-defense gun and apply for the Maine permit(since I'm 18)that way I can carry loaded legally.

I will be open carrying and concealed carrying in some cases. So looking for something good for both.

I may also note I'm looking for something priced well, I don't want to pay to much(college is expensive, not a ton of spare cash).

Does anyone have suggestions? I'll need a holster for my weapon to.

rocknsnow

imported post

Springfield XD9. That is what I would recommend. But if I were you I would go to a range such as Rangemasters in Springville and rent a few handguns and see what works for you. It is like 10 bucks and you can try as many handguns as you want. Also look at ksl.com under the classifieds. You can find great deals on hand guns there. Find something that fits the way you like it and shoot it a lot.

rocknsnow

imported post

Oh also the blackhawk serpa is a great holster for ocing. It has great retention and the paddle is really comfortable. The crossbreed supertuck is a wonder cc holster.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HansUser wrote:
Hello,

So I've decided to purchase my own self-defense gun and apply for the Maine permit(since I'm 18)that way I can carry loaded legally.

I will be open carrying and concealed carrying in some cases. So looking for something good for both.

I may also note I'm looking for something priced well, I don't want to pay to much(college is expensive, not a ton of spare cash).

Does anyone have suggestions? I'll need a holster for my weapon to.

Consider a revolver. Many reasonably priced revolvers are out there, especially pre-owned ones. They're simple, reliable and effective.

How much shooting of handguns have you done up to now?

mqondo

imported post

If I were you, I would do as rocknsnow said. A lot of people will have advice on which gun to get, because that particular gun will be comfortable for them. However, a gun which is comfy for them may not be for you. Go to your local gun shop, and handle them. It is very important to make sure that you get one that is comfy in your hand, and that you would like to shoot. As rocknsnow also said, the Blackhawk Serpa, and the Crossbreed Supertuck are great holsters. I actually use the Serpa for OC and CC both. If you are looking for a great OC holster, the Serpa is amazing. Just make sure that you get a gun that will fit in a Serpa. They make them for most guns, but some they don't. Try out Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Glock, Smith & Wesson (preferably either a revolver, or the M&P series), yada yada. There are a lot of great guns out there. Just make sure you get the one that is right for you.

GeneticsDave

imported post

I'm going to preface this post with the following disclaimer: These are the instructions I give to everyone who asks me, "What gun should I get?" It assumes that the buyer knows little about firearms. If that is not the case for you, please do not be insulted, but take the points for what they are worth.

Guns are like shoes. You need to consider the same things when buying a gun as when you buy shoes:

1. What will I be using it for?
2. What functionality should it have?
3. Is it comfortable?
4. Does it work well (reliability)?
5. Do I like the way it looks?

So, 1, what are you using it for? If self-defense, most guns out there are fine for everyday carry (as seen by the huge variety of guns actually carried by people).

2. What functionality should it have? Well, how many rounds would you like to have? What caliber would you prefer? Can you manipulate the slide or potential jams of a semi-auto or should you stick to a simpler design such as the revolver?

3. When you go to the gun store, have a list of requirement. I.E. I want a semi-auto in 9mm that holds at least 13 rounds. They can then let you hold all the guns that fit that requirement. If they are grumpy about doing so, go elsewhere. Narrow your search down to a few that you like the feel of most (be careful to check the gun for loaded status when they hand it to you and also don't point the muzzle at anyone - best take aim at the ceiling or floor).

4. Does it work well? Well, all guns have to work, at least some of the time. Some guns don't like certain types of ammo (semi-wad cutters, hollow points, etc) and will only feed round nose FMJ or the Glaser Safety Slugs. This is an issue for me on a self-defense gun. If you're only ever going to shoot this gun at the range, then a finicky gun is fine, but I want my self-defense guns to eat anything and everything and function flawlessly. I don't plan on dragging my firearms through sand, dirt, mud, sub-freezing temperatures, etc. so I don't go around saying everyone needs to carry a GLOCK or Springfield XD. However, these guns are engineered very well and CAN be tortured and still function. That kind of reliability says a lot in my opinion and makes me very comfortable with carrying those two brands.

5. Do I like the way it looks? While not essential, it is important. This is something that you will be looking at every day. If you OC, it will essentially become part of your wardrobe. If I were going to drop $500 on something that I wore around every day, you had better bet I would like the way it looks. I'm pretty easy going in this category, there are very few guns that I dislike the look of, so let's pick the numero uno ugly gun: Desert Eagle. This gun is enormous and can be found in the ever so ugly gold-plated edition. To me this gun screams "I'm compensating..." you know the rest. The cartridges it fires are the .357 Mag, .44 Mag and .50 A&E. Seriously, .50 caliber? Psh...

Anyways, after you have held a lot of guns and found the ones that fit your criteria, are comfortable and you like the looks of, go shoot them at a range (rentals mentioned above). You will soon narrow your selection down to one or two guns that you like the best. After that, it's simply a matter of shopping around to find the best price. Just call up all the gun stores and have a look on KSL. New is nice because you know that it has not been abused. As you get more familiar with guns, you may want to venture into the used market as you will know what to look for and how to recognize a gun that's in good shape.

Best of luck, please let us know if you need more help or advice. Also, please let us know what you settled on (and that means pics!!!).

HansUser

imported post

Thanks for the advice.

Consider a revolver. Many reasonably priced revolvers are out there, especially pre-owned ones. They're simple, reliable and effective.

How much shooting of handguns have you done up to now?

I've shot guns for several years but never owned one or considered owning one for self defense, just shooting with friends who go.

I am friends with people who have been shooting there entire life though who can help me learn anything I don't know(for example, how to maintain a certain model and so on).

b1ack5mith

imported post

ive owned 4 glocks... glock 23, glock 22, and 2 glock 17's... and my favorite would be a glock 17. alot of people put down the 9mm compared to the .40 glock 22... but i wouldnt want to get hit with either. the glock 22 holds 15 cartriges of .40 and the glock 17 holds 17 cartriges of 9mm... do the math! 2 extra shots can mean life or death. also, 9mm doesnt kick as much as a .45 or .357.

its really up to you, Large calibers such as .45 and .40 (the .40 is kind of borderline, I dont see much recoil difference in .40 and 9mm. the .357 has alot more recoil in my opinion) have better knockdown power, but less ammo. smaller calibers like 9mm, has a bit less knockdown power, has more ammo, BUT it WILL get the job done. The way I see it, if its good enough for the cops and the military, its good enough for me!

Don't rule out the .40 caliber, they have more energy than 9mm AND.45.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ive owned 4 glocks... glock 23, glock 22, and 2 glock 17's... and my favorite would be a glock 17. alot of people put down the 9mm compared to the .40 glock 22... but i wouldnt want to get hit with either. the glock 22 holds 15 cartriges of .40 and the glock 17 holds 17 cartriges of 9mm... do the math! 2 extra shots can mean life or death...

Are you serious, b5?

If you are, what is the support for the assertion? I'm curious

midnight61

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
Springfield XD9. That is what I would recommend. But if I were you I would go to a range such as Rangemasters in Springville and rent a few handguns and see what works for you. It is like 10 bucks and you can try as many handguns as you want. Also look at ksl.com under the classifieds. You can find great deals on hand guns there. Find something that fits the way you like it and shoot it a lot.
I have the XD9 sub-compact and it comes w/ 2 magazines, 13rd & 16rd w/ extended grip. I installed a pierce extension grip on the 13rd magazine. It should run you about $550 which is a bargain considering the quality you get from Springfield Armory.

I also got the Blackhawk Serpa holster. It's an excellent combination

b1ack5mith

imported post

HankT wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
ive owned 4 glocks... glock 23, glock 22, and 2 glock 17's... and my favorite would be a glock 17. alot of people put down the 9mm compared to the .40 glock 22... but i wouldnt want to get hit with either. the glock 22 holds 15 cartriges of .40 and the glock 17 holds 17 cartriges of 9mm... do the math! 2 extra shots can mean life or death...

Are you serious, b5?

Yes I am serious HankT. "2 extra shots CAN mean life or death..." keyword here HankT, CAN. I'm not sure if you know this, but when someone is in a life or death situation, there is something in your body called Adrenaline. When adrenaline is flowing through your veins, your motor skills are severely declined. This drastically effects the way you aim, and ofcourse, you WILL miss more often. You, HankT may or may not have ever experienced the effects of adrenaline, so I do not know how you would perform. However, me PERSONALLY, I would like the extra 2 shots, over a larger caliber.

Now, did this answer your question? Why would you ask if I was serious? Would I post something stating my opinion if I were not serious?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
HankT wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

Are you serious, b5?

Yes I am serious HankT. "2 extra shots CAN mean life or death..." keyword here HankT, CAN. I'm not sure if you know this, but when someone is in a life or death situation, there is something in your body called Adrenaline. When adrenaline is flowing through your veins, your motor skills are severely declined. This drastically effects the way you aim, and ofcourse, you WILL miss more often. You, HankT may or may not have ever experienced the effects of adrenaline, so I do not know how you would perform. However, me PERSONALLY, I would like the extra 2 shots, over a larger caliber.

Now, did this answer your question? Why would you ask if I was serious? Would I post something stating my opinion if I were not serious?

Well, b5, thanks for your answer.

But I don't really think you have supported your case for the G17 insofar as magazine capacity.

I know that 17 round is more than 15 rounds. I get that math part. But I don't see how that means your theory that the 2 rounds that the G17 has over the G22 has any significant or meaningful benefit. Sounds a bit simplistic.

You got any data or studies on gunfights that take 15, 16, and 17 shots respectively?

Also, what do you think about the GLOCK 34-round mags for the G17? Better still?

b1ack5mith

imported post

HankT wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
HankT wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

Are you serious, b5?

Well, b5, thanks for your answer.

But I don't really think you have supported your case for the G17 insofar as magazine capacity.

I know that 17 round is more than 15 rounds. I get that math part. But I don't see how that means your theory that the 2 rounds that the G17 has over the G22 has any significant or meaningful benefit. Sounds a bit simplistic.

You got any data or studies on gunfights that take 15, 16, and 17 shots respectively?

Also, what do you think about the GLOCK 34-round mags for the G17? Better still?
I don't think the average carrier would have a 34-round magazine. I don't understand what you are asking of me. I simply stated my preference, you came along and started asking "If I was serious". I think I have already answered your question. Yes, I was serious. 2 extra bullets can mean the difference in a life or death situation, and if you don't realize that, I dont know what to tell you. Do what you want, I stated what I preferred. If they made 17 round mags for the Glock 22, I would prefer the Glock 22 :D

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
If they made 17 round mags for the Glock 22, I would prefer the Glock 22 :D
I have two 17 round magazines for my .40 caliber GLOCK 35. :p

Glock35.jpg

mqondo

imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
rocknsnow wrote:
Oh also the blackhawk serpa is a great holster for ocing. It has great retention and the paddle is really comfortable. The crossbreed supertuck is a wonder cc holster.

Avoid the SERPA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ
Avoid the Serpa? This is quite possibly one of the lamest videos I've seen in quite a while. The possibility of something getting in to that mechanism and jamming it are probably 4,000,000 to 1. It may have happened to this guy, whoever he is, but I have never heard, or read about it anywhere else. Putting a button in there is not a good example. Who really has buttons in their glove box? Who keeps pebbles in their glove box? I think the possibility of this happening is so extremely remote. Who keeps their holsters in a place where they can jam something large enough to render the button useless? Ummm... only that guy. Somehow he was able to find the one place on the planet where he was able to jam something in to his holster. I trust mine every day, and always will.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
...lame. :X

My SERPA's have worked flawlessly for years. What kind of ninja sh!t am I going to do to get something stuck in the lock?

Even if it did happen, there is no need to "cut the gun out of the holster". Just remove the pin that the lock pivots on.

I have taken this pin out to see how the lock functions. Gun gets stuck? Remove pin, lock falls out, remove gun, buy new holster.

Until somebody can back up this "SERPA jam" claim with real world experience, STFU! :p

ScottyT

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
bbvk05 wrote:
...lame. :X

My SERPA's have worked flawlessly for years. What kind of ninja sh!t am I going to do to get something stuck in the lock?

Even if it did happen, there is no need to "cut the gun out of the holster". Just remove the pin that the lock pivots on.

I have taken this pin out to see how the lock functions. Gun gets stuck? Remove pin, lock falls out, remove gun, buy new holster.

Until somebody can back up this "SERPA jam" claim with real world experience, STFU! :p
Not to mention that Blackhawk has some of the best customer service I have EVER dealt with. I broke the paddle attachment on my SERPA (by accidentally shock loading it with my entire body weight) so I called them, explained that it was my fault and asked if I could buy a new paddle attachment. They sent me out a free attachment that I received in 2 days.

Love the products, love the company.