• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Don't Want To Open Carry

Kris

imported post

Zed Snardbody wrote:
I posted this mostly because as a converted anti, I feel like a lot of the time reading posts on here I have a different perspective and I wanted to share it.

As for making the point that I'm a liberal and an atheist, its acknowledging that I am a minority on this site. Again without debating the politics behind my my dirty leftedness, it just means I may look at open carry differently, but decided to like many of you, its my right, and I'm choosing to exercise it.
You're not alone. Although I can't say I was ever "anti," just agnostic about the whole thing. Being familar with rifles, handguns weren't a consideration. And yes, I've been mugged by a punk witha finger in his pocket, and it didn't change my attitude then.But a growing awareness of how crazy and irresponsiblethe world isbecoming may be the catalyst now.

-- Kris

Zed Snardbody

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
He lost me on the health care, why not get the government out of it.
How much cheaper would drugs be if you didn't have to pay a third party
for permission to buy them in the first place?  It is the government
that has caused the mess, and they don't want to fix it.

I guess he could move to antarctica.  Haven't heard of many crimes in that
neighborhood. 
I would bet you can't OC either, the trigger would freeze solid and not work.
Brandishing would be easily proven when your hand is still frozen to the grip
from when you were waiving it around.  CC what a laugh....  I know it is under
one of these layers, hold on a minute I'll rob you shortly.
Lastly..... OMG!, think of the penguins!:banghead:

You sir are an idiot....A penguin would kill you and everyone you love if you gave it half a chance. :p

darthmord

imported post

Zed, there are quite a few people who would gladly not carry if the world was a nice enough place to allow for such. I carry because the lives of my wife & children are that important to me. I'm rather attached to being alive as well.

I would love to live in a world where the only need one would have to carry would be to punch holes in clay & paper; a world where all other reasons to carry have vanished.

But until we as a race manage to achieve such a utopia, I'll carry.

Welcome to the ranks of those who care about our rights and fellow man.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Zed Snardbody wrote:
....A penguin would kill you and everyone you love if you gave it half a chance. :p
Penguins like sheep are a food source, are they not?

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Zed Snardbody wrote:
....A penguin would kill you and everyone you love if you gave it half a chance. :p

Yata hey
Seals and sharksseem to think so. I wonder if they taste like chicken. :)
Seals might, sharks don't. :)

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Zed Snardbody wrote:

Yata hey
Seals and sharksseem to think so. I wonder if they taste like chicken. :)
Seals might, sharks don't. :)

Yata hey

No. I mean, I wonder if the penguins taste like chicken? I know shark doesn't.

eh, penguin is probably all fat anyway, no real meat.

marine77

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Zed Snardbody wrote:
Thanks for the responses, especially the offers for lunch.

I posted this mostly because as a converted anti, I feel like a lot of the time reading posts on here I have a different perspective and I wanted to share it.

As for making the point that I'm a liberal and an atheist, its acknowledging that I am a minority on this site. Again without debating the politics behind my my dirty leftedness, it just means I may look at open carry differently, but decided to like many of you, its my right, and I'm choosing to exercise it.

Its probably a bit of a desire to do my little bit to reach out from the other side as well.
The better part of this community will little care how (OC or CC) nor why you carry, but will applaud you for accepting that personal responsibility.

The world is not a perfect place. It never has been, it never will be. We accept that and do the best we can with what we have and with the help of like minded people such as yourself, we shall strive to make it a better place to live.

Yata hey

This is my feeling about your carrying. We do applaud you for taking responsibilty,

and the world isn't a perfect or safe place, you either defend yourself or don't, no

misreading at all.

PointofView

imported post

You should check out my post on the general discussion forums. I think we are in the same league but anyone who has this for us or against us, black and white mentality cannot understand how beneficial it is to have such diversity on these forums.

jay75009

imported post

+1 to the OP......i get asked why i carry openly every day, and my reasonings are the same. because the world is a sick twisted place, and there are peoples out there that want to hurt innocent people. someone said to me "you should leave the gun home and rely on your police officers"..........yeah........the ones in the station 20 miles from my house.......riiight. very good post! very good! :)

protias

imported post

I would love to live in a world where there are no firearms. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad people out there, so I make it my duty to protect life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Dreamer

imported post

I sort of understand where the OP is coming from. My stepdaughter (24) is learning how to shoot, under my watchful eye. She is very interested in the different guns I have, and she seems to have taken to it like a duk to water. She enjoys shooting small-caliber rifle, small-caliber pistols (but she's not too keen on my .45 acp--it's just WAY too much gun for her) and we're going to go to the range soon and run through the drill with my 12ga pump shotgun (for home defense).

But she has NO interest right now in carrying--OC or CC. I've tried to talk her into getting her NC CHP--even offered to cover all her costs--but she's just not interested. I think a lot of her not wanting to carry is just unfamiliarity. She's a new shooter, and she grew up in CA and MD so she's got a LOT of anti-gun brainwashing to overcome. I don't think that she's afraid of guns anymore, but I DO think that she might feel that she isn't familiar enough (and skilled enough) to trust herself to safely carry yet. And in all honesty, I think that shows great wisdom on her part, considering her skill level and the fact that she's still working through 2 decades of anti-gun brainwashing from the media, the schools, and the cultures in the states where she grew up. We need to give the "newbies" time to get used to the idea of carrying, and give them the opportunity to train, familiarize and gain confidence in their own skills, abilities and ESPECIALLY knowledge of the law. Nothing wrong with that.

But slowly, I'm showing her that the GOOD GUYS carry too, by OCing most of the time when we go out on errands (and ALL the time at home), and introducing her to other people who carry. I think maybe by the end of the year I may bring her over to our side, but alas, come the end of December, she's moving back to MD to finish her Bachelor's degree. So even if I DO get her carrying before she moves, she won't be able to legally carry in MD because of their restrictive laws. And she's going to be living and going to school in Baltimore, which makes me wish even MORE that she could carry...

I think that a LOT of the hesitance to carry is simply lack of familiarity, confidence, and training with firearms. Most of the folks I know who ARE well-trained already have their CHPs, and regularly CC--a few of them also OC.

On the other hand, almost every single person I know who is adamantly against carrying is lacking in training, exposure, and familiarity with firearms.

People fear what they don't understand.

But mastery brings with it confidence...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I thought it was a good post, even if I disagree with many aspects of the speaker's politics (that's true for most of you too :p).

I also think maybe a few of you didn't bother to actually read it.

"I don't want to to carry a gun, but I do carry a gun because I know I have no other means of protection". Seems reasonable to me.

The author would prefer a violence-free world. But he recognizes he doesn't live in one. And in the world he does live in, he carries a gun.

Good for him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
I thought it was a good post, even if I disagree with many aspects of the speaker's politics (that's true for most of you too :p).

I also think maybe a few of you didn't bother to actually read it.

"I don't want to to carry a gun, but I do carry a gun because I know I have no other means of protection". Seems reasonable to me.

The author would prefer a violence-free world. But he recognizes he doesn't live in one. And in the world he does live in, he carries a gun.

Good for him.
Then there are those that have more guns n' gear than they have space for and are still sane, reasonable, people with productive lives and loving families. They carry for a variety of reasons, including that the world will never (has never) changed that much.

No one can provide the enhanced level of protection that you can provide for yourself - no one, unless you are maybe the POTUS.

Yata hey

okboomer

imported post

Close to needing a third gun safe --- just for the long guns :lol:

Thankfully, the gun safes I buy include a handgun box also :cool: