• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry a gun in Sterling/Potomac Falls, VA?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an attempted robbery and malicious wounding that occurred Sunday, October 25th in the parking lot of an elementary school.

Around 7 p.m. Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the area of Sugarland Run Elementary school where the victim of a stabbing had apparently gone to several homes seeking help.

The victim, a 23-year-old Sterling, VA man, told authorities he was riding his bike in the area when he was approached by an unknown subject who demanded cash. The victim refused to give the suspect money and was stabbed by the suspect.

The suspect was described as a tall Black male in his early twenties, wearing a black t-shirt, a gray hooded sweatshirt and black pants. The area was searched by multiple patrol units including a K-9 Unit. No suspect matching this description was located. The victim was airlifted to INOVA Fairfax Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

The incident was not related to any activities at the elementary school and authorities do not believe there is any threat to the students who attend the school.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Investigator M. McCaffrey of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers. If the information provided leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

- - - -

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating a bank robbery that occurred shortly after 9 a.m. Monday in Sterling, VA.

An unknown suspect entered the BB & T Bank located in the 20920 block of Davenport Drive and brandished a firearm. The suspect fled with an undisclosed amount of cash.

The suspect is believed to be an unknown male, approximately 6’ tall with a medium build. He was last seen wearing a black jacket, a mask, and black shoes and was carrying a walking cane. The mask is described as a Halloween style mask with large white teeth. He was last seen exiting the bank on foot.

Anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious persons in this area during the time of the robbery is asked to contact the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office. If you have any information regarding the possible identity of the suspect you are asked to contact Investigator S. Coderre of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers. If the information provided leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.=

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The suspect is believed to be an unknown male, approximately 6’ tall with a medium build.
So they are not sure he is unknown or not?:?

ATTENTION ALL BANK ROBBERS: At the request of The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, please either contact them before committing a bank robbery or contact them afterwards to claim responsibility for your specific bank robbery. The current numberr of persons who are believed to be unknown who have committed bank robbery/ies in Loudon County is causing confusion for The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office. Thank you for your cooperation.

stay safe.

skidmark

TexasNative

imported post

Fortunately, the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office's sworn staff is much more competent at their jobs than their public information section. I've gotten plenty a giggle over how they've worded their news releases over the years.

~ Boyd

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigation a reported home invasion style robbery that occurred early Friday morning in Sterling, VA.

Around 3:37 a.m. on October 30th two unknown masked men forced their way into a residence in the 1200 block of East Lee Road. Both of the subjects brandished a firearm and claimed to be law enforcement. Inside the subjects removed a safe and cash from the homeowners. The residents were not injured during the incident.

The suspects were described as being Black males and were wearing all dark clothing at the time of the robbery.

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a reported attempted armed robbery that occurred in the Sterling, VA area Tuesday night.

Around 8:30 p.m. a pizza deliveryman had just returned to his vehicle after delivering a pizza in the 21880 block of Railway Terrace when he was approached by two unknown suspects. One of the suspects brandished a firearm and demanded cash. The victim struggled with the suspect and the two suspects fled the scene without taking any money.

The suspect with the weapon was described as a being White male, 6’ tall, and weighing180 pounds. He was wearing a blue jean jacket, a white hoodie sweatshirt and a white scarf over his nose and mouth. The other suspect was also described as a White male and was wearing all dark clothing. The area was searched and no subjects matching this description were located.

Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact Investigator M. McCaffrey of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to call Loudoun Crime Solvers. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

Now I have something I was thinking about the other day. I was discussing with a friend some of the things kids get into today. And how does it seem like affluent areas have children that have allowances that parents could care less what they do with it.

I know a few kids back in Maryland where I lived got arrested after they robbed several couples walking down on the local promenade. But they were kids from upper middle class families and certainly could have been doing something much more productive with their time.

So what I am getting at, does that seem to happen down here as well? I live out in Haymarket and just about all these kids that go to Battlefield somehow think they are entitled and act with very little, if any, care to people in their surroundings or on the roads. I honestly thought two kids were going to follow me into Fosters the other day when I didnt make a left on yield green at a busy intersection that I didnt feel comfortable making. It seems like they just have no fear of the law or law abiding citizens...

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: A stabbing at a Sterling, Virginia restaurant and bar is under investigation by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office.

Loudoun Sheriff’s Deputies responded to Ned Devines located in the 21800 block of Towncenter Plaza around 1:30 a.m. Saturday for a victim suffering from apparent stab wounds. The victim, a 39-year-old Herndon, VA man, stated he was on the dance floor when he confronted a male who allegedly inappropriately touched his girlfriend. An altercation ensued and the victim was stabbed.

The victim was taken to INOVA Fairfax Hospital where he is expected to fully recover from his injuries. The suspect was described as a Black male, 5’7” tall, with a thin build.

Dreamer

imported post

ed wrote:
Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating a bank robbery that occurred shortly after 9 a.m. Monday in Sterling, VA.

An unknown suspect entered the BB & T Bank located in the 20920 block of Davenport Drive and brandished a firearm. The suspect fled with an undisclosed amount of cash.

This is OBVIOUSLY a made-up story, and a retouched picture. Everyone KNOWS that BB&T prohibits firearms on their property. That thing in that guy's hand CAN'T be a handgun. Maybe it was a pickle, because everyone knows that NOBODY--not even a bank robber--would ignore the prominently-displayed signs that BB&T has posted all over their parking lot and doors...

ed

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
This is OBVIOUSLY a made-up story, and a retouched picture. Everyone KNOWS that BB&T prohibits firearms on their property. That thing in that guy's hand CAN'T be a handgun. Maybe it was a pickle, because everyone knows that NOBODY--not even a bank robber--would ignore the prominently-displayed signs that BB&T has posted all over their parking lot and doors...
And EVERYTIME they get robbed (that I know of) I send them a postcard paraphrasing what you just said.

ed

imported post

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a bank robbery that occurred Saturday, December 5th in Sterling, Virginia.

Shortly after 9 a.m. an unknown suspect entered the Suntrust Bank in the 46340 block of Potomac Run Plaza. The suspect demanded cash. The suspect is described as a middle-aged male and was wearing all dark clothing and white tennis shoes. He was also wearing gloves and a mask. A surveillance video still of the suspect was released by Loudoun County Sheriff’s Investigators Saturday evening.

The suspect left in an unknown direction of travel with an undisclosed amount of cash.

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a
reported sexual assault that occurred during the early evening hours of December
11th in the area of East Church Road and Sugarland Road in Sterling, Virginia.

On December 13th Loudoun County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the Reston
Hospital for a report of a victim of a sexual assault who had arrived at the
emergency room. The 38-year-old Sterling, VA, victim reported that between 4
p.m. and 5 p.m. on December 11th she was walking in the area of the listed
location when she was approached from behind. The suspect grabbed her and
sexually assaulted her.

The suspect was described as a light skinned Black or Hispanic male in his 30’s,
5’9” tall, 200 pounds with a muscular build. He was reported to be wearing a
short-sleeve button up shirt with a company logo. The suspect was also described
as having a tattoo on the right side of his neck that was U shaped with
lettering underneath.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Investigator
M. McCaffrey of the Loudoun Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at
703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to call
Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and
indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a reported home invasion style armed robbery that occurred during the morning hours of January 5, 2010 in the Cascades area of Sterling, Virginia.

Shortly before 8 a.m. two suspects forced entry into a residence in the 47580 block of Watkins Island Square. A male victim was restrained, held at gunpoint, and assaulted. Items taken from the home included cash.

The suspects were described as two adult Black males. The men fled in an unknown direction.

The victim was taken to the Lansdowne Campus of INOVA Loudoun Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Anyone with any information regarding this case is asked to contact Investigator S. Coderre of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to call Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

ed

imported post

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a series of residential burglaries that occurred in the Potomac Falls area over the New Year’s Eve holiday.

Five homes in the area of Algonkian Parkway were burglarized between December 31st and January 1st between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. All of the residents of the homes were away at the time of the burglaries. Items taken from the homes included televisions, laptops, video game systems and a firearm.

The following locations were part of the series of burglaries where a home was entered by damaging either a rear window or door:

46470 block Hampshire Station Dr.
20450 block McGees Ferry Way
150 block Peyton Road
20400 block Quarterpath Trace Circle
30 block Nicholson Court

If you have any information regarding any of these burglaries you are asked to contact Investigator R. Bennett of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

Sent to Media Only, Neighborhood Watch, Serious Crimes - Sheriff (E-mail accounts) through Alert Loudoun

... powered by the Roam Secure Alert Network

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
ed wrote:

Funny. I ignore it every single time I go to the bank. Generally about 2 times a week. TWO THINGS NEVER HAPPENED:

a) The sticker provided no resistance whatsoever.
b) I didn't feel some irresistible need to shoot up the place.

Maybe my BB&T has a broken sticker. Maybe I got a broken gun cause I didn't get into a wild west shootout.. I think I'll send them an anonymous letter telling them to check their sticker.:celebrate

bohdi

imported post

I used to live in Sterling off N. Sterling Blvd for about two years - 2001 to 2003. While there two incidents stand out in my mind. The stabbing at the McyD's across from the HS on N. Sterling Blvd - that one got a helicopter. The other was the hostage/family dispute at the entrance to my coul de sac on Coventry Sq behind the barefoot pelican/Food Kitty by the water tower. Apparently they were havin a party of some sort, alcohol and arguing broke out. Someone grabbed a gun. Next thing I know Loudoun Co. has five cars there and is asking people to stay inside their homes. I was already leaving the area and was told not to come back for a few hours because one of the occupants had a gun.

I as quickly as I could after that, but the HOA there was truely atrocious and was a factor in me moving as well.