• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why carry a gun in Sterling/Potomac Falls, VA?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Armed Robbery of Convenience Store on Cascades Parkway

LCSO Investigates Armed Robbery of Convenience Store on Cascades Parkway on November 28th

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a reported armed robbery at the Spice Bazaar convenience store located at 21950 Cascades Parkway in Sterling, Virginia on November 28, 2010.

Around 6:30 p.m. two employees were inside the store when two unknown suspects wearing white hooded sweatshirts and carrying large knives entered the store. The suspects demanded cash from the cash register.

The first suspect was further described as being 6’ tall with a thin build. He was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt with an unknown print on the front and dark jeans. The second suspect was described as being 5’8” tall, 140 to 160 pounds and was wearing a white hooded sweatshirt with pockets, and dark jeans.

The area was searched although there was a thirty minute delay in the incident being reported to law enforcement by the business. No suspects were located.

If you have any information regarding this crime you are asked to contact Investigator K. Poland of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

Sent to Serious Crimes - E-mail accounts through Alert Loudoun

... powered by the Roam Secure Alert Network

Jonton

And just a couple days earlier, also hispanic and wearing a white hoodie. Would this be considered a Vehicle Invasion, since there were people in the car?

11/26/10
0715 hrs.
21100 block
Dulles Town Cir.
Sterling
Robbery: An unknown suspect entered an occupied vehicle parked in the parking lot of the Dulles Town Center and took a purse. The suspect fled on foot. The suspect was described as a light skinned, possibly Hispanic male, and was wearing a white hoodie style sweatshirt with blue jeans. He was further described as being 5’10” tall, 180 pounds and was possibly in his late teens to early twenties. He had closely cut black hair and was clean shaven. The area was searched and no suspect matching this description was located.

Jonton

12/27/10
0914 hrs.
47000 block
Community Plaza
Sterling
Robbery: An unknown masked suspect entered the Wachovia Bank, approached a teller and brandished a firearm. The suspect, described as a Black male, demanded cash. The suspect was described as being 6’ tall and was wearing a black jacket with a red shirt underneath.

ed

The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office is on the scene of a double shooting in the 1200 blk of E. Kennedy Rd., Sterling. One of the individuals who was shot has died of his injuries and the other is in critical condition. The weapons and everyone involved are accounted for. The entire scene was confined to this one house. There is no on-going danger to the public. Investigators are on the scene. The identity of the parties involved is being withheld until further information is obtained and others notified.

There will be a more detailed update later tonight.

Jonton

Score 1 for the good guys! This was a failed home invasion where 3 men entered the residence and attempted to rob the individuals inside, where 2 were shot. it is believed that one suspect is still at large.

More details as they come.

ed

Last night's shooting of two men during what appeared to be a botched home invasion robbery remains under investigation. The two alleged robbery suspects were shot by one of the occupants of the residence in the 1200 blk of E. Kennedy Dr. One, a 28-year-old Loudoun Co. man, was found in the residence when Sheriff's Deputies arrived. He was transported to Inova Loudoun Hospital at Lansdowne, where he was pronounced dead. The second subject fled the scene and was apparently driven to the same hospital, but was transferred to Inova Fairfax with a life-threatening gunshot wound.

The following is updated information regarding this incident:

The second wounded suspect is now listed in stable condition at Inova Fairfax Hospital. The identities of the two men who were shot will not be released until the next of kin have been located and notified. That process is on-going at this time.

There were 7 people inside the residence when the alleged home invasion occurred. All 7 have been identified and interviews have been conducted. The only injury to the occupants of the house was a bloody nose. That person was treated and released. No one else was injured.

The Sheriff's Office is still seeking the identity of the person who drove the second suspect to the hospital. Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff Office at 703-777-0445.

The Sheriff's Office will not publicly speculate on a motive at this time, but the incident is not believed to be gang-related.

Unless some breaking news occurs, the next update on this case will likely be released after 5PM.

Sent to E-mail accounts, Pagers, Cell phones through Alert Loudoun

Armed

Home Invasion - Loudoun County, bad guys lose!

Just saw this...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=VACUL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

STERLING, Va. (AP) -- The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office is investigating what appears to have been a botched home invasion robbery in Sterling that left one robbery suspect dead and another critically injured.

Sheriff's deputies were sent to the home for a 911 call Thursday evening. Occupants of the home told police that two men burst into their home and attempted to rob them. Seven people were home at the time.

Investigators say a person at the home shot two alleged robbery suspects.

Only one person at the home was injured with a bloody nose.

Officials say 28-year-old Anthony Devoure Miles of Manassas was found critically injured and was pronounced dead at a hospital. The second suspect was driven to the hospital by an unidentified person. Investigators are searching for that person.

ed

home invasion robbery and stabbing early yesterday morning

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the report of a home invasion robbery and stabbing early yesterday morning.

Deputies received a call on Tuesday morning, February 15th at approximately 3:15 AM from the victims, one of whom lived at the apartment in the 22300 block of Enterprise St. in Sterling. They reported that two male subjects, one white and one black, forced their way into the apartment and robbed the couple of some jewelry and a small amount of cash.

The robbers were armed with knives and one of the victims received two knife wounds in his leg. He was treated on the scene by rescue personnel, but declined to be transported to the hospital.

The suspects were described as 1) a black male of medium build, approximately 5’9” tall, with a moustache, wearing a black hoodie sweatshirt, blue jeans and a ski mask and 2) a white male of “hefty” build, approximately 5’9” tall, wearing all dark clothing and a ski mask.

The incident is under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact Inv. M. Bush at 703-777-0475.

Jonton

03/04/11
2235 hrs
46700 Graham Cove Sq.
Sterling
Robbery: While getting out of his vehicle victim was confronted by two unknown males. One of the unknown males had a handgun. The suspects removed his wallet and cell phone.

Jonton

03/07/11
2228 – 2231 hrs
22000 Shaw Rd.
Sterling
Robbery: Two unknown subjects attacked victim with a baseball bat. One subject then produced a handgun and robbed victim. Money was taken. Victim had no injuries.

ed

Attempted Robbery on Avondale Drive in Sterling Friday Night

LCSO Investigates Attempted Robbery on Avondale Drive in Sterling Friday Night

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an attempted robbery that occurred April 29, 2011 in Sterling.

Around 6:40 p.m. the victim, a 49-year-old Sterling man, was walking in the 300 block of Avondale Drive when he was approached by two masked men. The suspects assaulted him and one of the men discharged pepper spray during the assault. The suspects attempted to take the man’s wallet but were unsuccessful. The suspects fled the scene. The victim received minor injuries during the assault.

The case is under investigation by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division. If you have any information you are asked to contact Investigator M. McCaffrey at 703-777-0475. Those callers wishing to remain anonymous are asked to call Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

ed

May 22, 2011 robbery at the Target store in Sterling

LCSO Investigators Release Surveillance Video Stills of Robbery at Target in Potomac Run Plaza

Loudoun County, VA: Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Investigators released surveillance video stills from a May 22, 2011 robbery at the Target store in Sterling, Virginia.

Around 8 p.m. an unknown White male entered the store located in the Potomac Run Plaza and approached the display case in the electronics section of the store and asked to see an MP3 player. Once the case was opened the suspect attempted to grab several MP3 players.

The suspect then brandished what appeared to a knife and threatened the employee. The suspect then fled the store with several MP3 players. The suspect is described as a White male in his mid to late 20’s, approximately 5’10” to 6’ tall with a medium build. The subject was wearing a black Nike hoodie with the hood up.

The suspect is believed to have left the scene in a small to mid-size dark gray/blue car with a sunroof. The vehicle is possibly a Cadillac CTS (2005 model) and may be missing a front passenger side hubcap.

If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this suspect you are asked to contact Investigator M. McCaffrey at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.=

RaiderRey

LCSO Investigators Release Surveillance Video Stills of Robbery at Target in Potomac Run Plaza

Loudoun County, VA: Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Investigators released surveillance video stills from a May 22, 2011 robbery at the Target store in Sterling, Virginia.

Around 8 p.m. an unknown White male entered the store located in the Potomac Run Plaza and approached the display case in the electronics section of the store and asked to see an MP3 player. Once the case was opened the suspect attempted to grab several MP3 players.

The suspect then brandished what appeared to a knife and threatened the employee. The suspect then fled the store with several MP3 players. The suspect is described as a White male in his mid to late 20’s, approximately 5’10” to 6’ tall with a medium build. The subject was wearing a black Nike hoodie with the hood up.

The suspect is believed to have left the scene in a small to mid-size dark gray/blue car with a sunroof. The vehicle is possibly a Cadillac CTS (2005 model) and may be missing a front passenger side hubcap.

If you have any information regarding the possible identity of this suspect you are asked to contact Investigator M. McCaffrey at 703-777-0475. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous they are asked to contact Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.=

I was wondering how a CC or OC citizen should handle this situation. I don't want to assume which is why I am asking here.

So if one was witnessing this incident ...

Should you draw your firearm, instruct the suspect to drop the weapon, and then instruct the suspect to spread eagle on the floor? Then have someone call 911 and wait for Law Enforcement to arrive? But then when LE arrives they will probably disarm and detain me, etc. That part will probably suck.

Also, if the suspect makes a run for it, then as a citizen we can't pursue, correct?

I hope to never be in this situation, but would like to be educated on proper procedures.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ed

I was wondering how a CC or OC citizen should handle this situation. I don't want to assume which is why I am asking here.

So if one was witnessing this incident ...

Should you draw your firearm, instruct the suspect to drop the weapon, and then instruct the suspect to spread eagle on the floor? Then have someone call 911 and wait for Law Enforcement to arrive? But then when LE arrives they will probably disarm and detain me, etc. That part will probably suck.

Also, if the suspect makes a run for it, then as a citizen we can't pursue, correct?

I hope to never be in this situation, but would like to be educated on proper procedures.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
First.. I am not a lawyer.. and this is NOT legal advice.. I can't tell YOU what to do.. I can only tell you what I would do. I would be a good witness for the cops. Maybe take out my digital camera, take some pics/video of the guy and what car he got into. I may have yelled out "HEY!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!.. THE POLICE ARE OUT FRONT" something to throw him off. Two many variables. From what I read.. I would not have drawn.

Also sounds like you should attend one of user's legal defense seminar. Check the sticky at the top of the forum on 6/11

RaiderRey

First.. I am not a lawyer.. and this is NOT legal advice.. I can't tell YOU what to do.. I can only tell you what I would do. I would be a good witness for the cops. Maybe take out my digital camera, take some pics/video of the guy and what car he got into. I may have yelled out "HEY!! LEAVE HIM ALONE!.. THE POLICE ARE OUT FRONT" something to throw him off. Two many variables. From what I read.. I would not have drawn.

Also sounds like you should attend one of user's legal defense seminar. Check the sticky at the top of the forum on 6/11

Thanks ! I will check it out !

ed

Early Sunday Morning Malicious Wounding

LCSO Investigates Early Sunday Morning Malicious Wounding on Enterprise Street
in Sterling

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the
circumstances surrounding a malicious wounding that occurred on June 19, 2011 in
the Sterling, VA area.

Loudoun Sheriff’s Deputies were alerted around 4:45 a.m. by personnel at INOVA
Fairfax Hospital that a 17-year-old had arrived with injuries from an assault.

It was reported the victim was walking in the 100 block of Enterprise Street
around 2 a.m. with friends when he was confronted by several male subjects. One
of the subjects approached the 17-year-old and assaulted him. The suspect then
brandished a broken beer bottle and assaulted the victim causing serious
injuries. The victim was taken from the scene by friends to Reston Hospital but
later transferred to INOVA Fairfax Hospital.

The suspect in the case was described as a 6’2” Hispanic male who was wearing a
black polo shirt with gray and white stripes and blue jeans at the time of the
incident. He was further described as having a large scar around his left eye.
Further investigation revealed the suspect is believed to be driving a green
Toyota Tacoma pick-up truck.

The 17-year-old remains hospitalized with serious but non-life-threatening
injuries.

If you have any information regarding this incident or if you believe you know
the identity of the suspect you are asked to contact Investigator W. Promisel of
the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475.

Sent to E-mail accounts through Alert Loudoun

ed

Attempted Armed Robbery of McDonald’s on Pidgeon Hill Drive in Sterling

LCSO Investigates Attempted Armed Robbery of McDonald’s on Pidgeon Hill Drive in Sterling

Loudoun County, VA: The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is investigating an attempted armed robbery that occurred July 21, 2011 at a Sterling, Virginia McDonald’s.

Around 12:24 a.m. four unknown males entered the restaurant in the 20800 block of Pidgeon Hill Drive. The suspects had their faces covered. One of the males brandished a knife. As the suspects attempted to rob the restaurant, the employees were able to flee. The suspects fled the scene empty handed.

All four suspects were described as Hispanic males.

If you have any information regarding this attempted robbery, you are asked to contact Investigator M. Bush of the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division at 703-777-0475. If the callers wish to remain anonymous they are asked to call Loudoun Crime Solvers at 703-777-1919. If the information leads to an arrest and indictment, the caller could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

Sent to E-mail accounts through Alert Loudoun