• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Halloween costume ideas for open carry?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

11 or 12 years ago I dressed up as Wyatt Earp.I had (and still have) a long black oilskin duster, black leather vest, cowboy boots and hat. I had a western gun belt that I stuffed with a very hard to find realistic looking toy six gun. Then I went bar hopping. I had a couple people come up and ask if the gun was real. One of them actually said it didn't matter to them whether it was or not. I wonder if I can count that as an open carry experience?? :D

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

A friend wants to go as a old style western sheriff and needs a single six shooter rig (holster/belt). He is in the Lansing area and could travel a bit to pick it up.

Anyone have one in this surrounding area he could borrow?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Venator wrote:
A friend wants to go as a old style western sheriff and needs a single six shooter rig (holster/belt). He is in the Lansing area and could travel a bit to pick it up.

Uh... 'loaning operable firearms to someone you don't know ain't a real good idea.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Venator wrote:

Uh... 'loaning operable firearms to someone you don't know ain't a real good idea.
I think he just means the leather, not the iron.

Michigander

imported post

A Buscadero belt and holster can be had for under a hundred dollars if he shops around. Good thing to have anyway if he's got a SAA type gun.

Venator

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Venator wrote:

I think he just means the leather, not the iron.
Just the holster rig, no firearm.

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
A Buscadero belt and holster can be had for under a hundred dollars if he shops around. Good thing to have anyway if he's got a SAA type gun.
He needs it soon and can't drive far to buy one. He's still looking. I may have to take him to Cabela's.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
He needs it soon and can't drive far to buy one. He's still looking. I may have to take him to Cabela's.
I'm at Ft. Worth Cabela's right now. Close enough for ya?:)

Venator

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Yeah, I'll be waiting outside my house, I'll start drinking beer until you get there.

WARCHILD

imported post

Brian: There's a place a little closer to you, Tom's Western Store in Ovid. They have all kinds of that stuff, I used to buy my Steton's there. Can't say for sure about drop leg holsters though. Might be worth a call...?

Tom's Western Store
(989) 834-5446
8982 E M-21
Ovid, MI

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
Michigander wrote:
Yeah, I'll be waiting outside my house, I'll start drinking beer until you get there.
I'll be there Saturday afternoon. Better buy a keg. Or two. Or three... save me one, k?

Venator

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Brian: There's a place a little closer to you, Tom's Western Store in Ovid. They have all kinds of that stuff, I used to buy my Steton's there. Can't say for sure about drop leg holsters though. Might be worth a call...?

Tom's Western Store
(989) 834-5446
8982 E M-21
Ovid, MI
This was checked out, but those rigs are fancy and over $200. He want's something in the $75-90 range.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Cabelas. Triple K gunleather. Drop leg thru the beltbuscadero's weren't invented 'til 1928. What you see in the movies is WRONG. He needs a gun belt and a dubble loop Mexican holster... sometimes called a Santa Fe rig. Pistols were worn cross draw... no tie downs. 'Slapping leather was the act of holding the holster down with the weak hand while pullin' the pistol with the other (standing). Drawin' a 7" barreled Colt strong side will put the gun butt in yer armpit before the thing clears leather. There were no pants belts either... not until 1922 when belt loops were invented. John Wyane had it all wrong.

Michigander

imported post

Something like this, Sonora?

hl_1860.jpg

Kinda pricey, 300-470 bucks. But definitely nice looking.