Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry in Wal Mart

Post imported post

I was just talking to a local State Trooper and a Local LEO. I work with a former ST and have had a few discussions about OC with him(he's totally for it). I decided to ask this ST about his opinion on OC. He seemed reluctant, to say one way or the other. The LEO cockily stated OC was fine if you wanted to be drawn on a few times. The ST then related how a K9 officer in full uniform went into a Wal Mart to buy a bag of dog food for his dog. Upon entering he was told he couldn't be in there with an OC gun. He stated that yes he could. They then said the only way he could was if he was accompanied by an employee. He told them "great someone to talk to, go get'em".

My question is does anyone know Wal Mart's corporate policy on OC? I have seen other posts here that stated it usually went along with the local regs. I would also like any opinions on how someone should handle a situation like this.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Post imported post

I OC in my local WalMart and other stores and have never had a problem. That may seem strange here in the People's Republic of Kalifonia.

I grew up in Missouri and get there every June for the annual family reunion. I'll be OCing if it's legal in Newton County.

Post imported post

I oc at most wal-marts, the one where I live in in a OC legal area but the store manager has a stick up his but about OC, he told me over the phone that he talked to his LEGAL department and they told him he was allowed to ask some to leave, basicly he could not ban it but if I was seen OCing I would be asked to leave, so I hide it in plan sight if my wife drags me there, I dont like going there anyways.

Post imported post

ComSec wrote:
    I oc at most wal-marts, the one where I live in in a OC legal area but the store manager has a stick up his but about OC, he told me over the phone that he talked to his LEGAL department and they told him he was allowed to ask some to leave, basicly he could not ban it but if I was seen OCing I would be asked to leave, so I hide it in plan sight if my wife drags me there, I dont like going there anyways.
    Which one? I'll be in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit next June and plan to OC.

Post imported post

the lees summit wal-mart on 291

Post imported post

I work at Wal-Mart in Washington, MO. I've asked about this policy sense I've seen countless people with open carry. I've asked my manager and they said we dont have a policy regarding CCW or OP. As long as its in the holster it's fine.

Post imported post

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Post imported post

Reepin_Ruether wrote:
    I work at Wal-Mart in Washington, MO. I've asked about this policy sense I've seen countless people with open carry. I've asked my manager and they said we dont have a policy regarding CCW or OP. As long as its in the holster it's fine.
    I live in West Plains, MO and that's pretty much the policy in that Wal-mart. My son worked security there a few years ago when some of the younger "associates" got upset over a man open carrying in the store. They called the manager who basically said, "He's legal. He has a right to have it. If he's not causing any trouble either ignore him or wait on him when/if he needs help."

Post imported post

As near as I can tell from some research I've done, is WalMart's policy regarding firearms is pretty much "If it's legal, it's ok".

Post imported post

It just really saddens me that Wal-Mart would throw such a fit about customers ocing. Hell they sell us the ammo, they sell us the cleaning supplies for the weapon! Yet to some that work there, its offensive for us to be seen with the weapon they supply those items for, which if I may add could someday save their butts from a serious incident if ever it were to occur. How many criminals would truly walk into a wal-mart store ocing? I doubt many, as most Missourians that carry are responsible adults who know how to handle a firearm properly.

Post imported post

I had a issue with the Lees Summit Wallmart a few months ago.....If a manager gives you ANY flack,ask for Brandon,he is head of security and all the managers answer to him.He knows its legal to carry now ,and is aware ofWallmarts Coorporate posisition on firearms and told me that He appreciated my business and I was welcome to open carry in Wallmart anytime I wanted.He is a decent guy and did his homework on the subject after our first encounter,the story is somewhere in the archives here....
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Post imported post

Missouri > Stopped today open carrying in Lees Summit Wallmart (22 replies - 18

Posted: Wed Jun 17th, 2009 04:39 pm

Edit

Just got off the phone with the head of security at the Lees Summit [highlight= #ffff88]Wallmart.He told me he did some checking,with coorporate,and with the local codes......and told me I was exactly correct :celebrate.He told me that now that he knows the correct info on open carrying,he is going to inform all the other managers about it.He told me that he hoped I would continue to shop at [highlight= #ffff88]Wallmart,and could open carry there anytime.99
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Post imported post

The Store Manager was very straight forward with me he said he ordered all his managers to ask OCers to leave

Post imported post

I know the night assistant manager....he is pro gun....he told me that Brandon who is head of security,trumps what the managers say as far as security goes.....next time ask to speakto Brandon head of security.

Post imported post

Well I got to go shopping tonight Ill try again. Wish I could carry my G19 and not my Sig 226 LOL

Post imported post

I tried to call Brandon today,but he had left for the day.I will call him tomorrow and ask him what the deal is with that particular manager.

Post imported post

well no problems tonight but I ended up carrying the G19 easier to hide in plain sight, im off to the gun show in OP anyone else going

Post imported post

I talked to an assistant manager today from wallmart.He has never been told anythink like asking oc,ers to leave.He talked to a couple of other mamagers and they have never been told that either.He thinks the manager in question is probably a guy named Joel.But he still answers to. Brandon who is their loss preventuon/secutiry.mamager.

Post imported post

Has anyone OC'd in either one of the jefferson city walmarts? Or know any one who has?

Post imported post

themasterofmachines wrote:
    Has anyone OC'd in either one of the jefferson city walmarts? Or know any one who has?
    I open carry in the WW in JC all the time. I usually have a shirt kinda hanging down, so don't know if anyone has ever noticed. I open carry pretty much everywhere in JC. Have not had any problems yet.

Post imported post

The Wal Mart on Missouri Boulevard in Jefferson City,

About 2 weeks ago I asked the employees at customer service what the store's policy was in regards to open carry.

I was told that the store policty says not allowed and that they would ask someone to leave if they saw a firearm visible. They also told me their policy for selling firearms was that they would walk you to the door and then hand control over to you as you were preparing to leave the premises.

I told them that since its legal to open carry in Jefferson City, it might be in people's best interest if they put up a sign in the doorway notifying the public of this. That way there would be no confusion for those of us who may autmotically assume that our rights carry over onto their property.

This wasn't the store manager I talked to but an employee. I asked if I could speak with the manager present in the store and after repeated calls from the customer service employee and about 20 minutes passing and no manager coming up front, I decided to go about my business in the store. I wasn't carrying at the time.

I have carried my sidearm one time into House of Bargains in Apache Flats and had seen one other customer carrying one openly that day.The employeesin the sporting goods section are veryhelpful with their customer service dealing with firearms andseem to be very supportive of pro gun issues. I will do more of my business there for sure from now on.

Post imported post

it might be in people's best interest if they put up a sign in the doorway notifying the public of this.

Maybe in your opinion.

In my opinion, I'm not so sure advocating that a business take a stance against something I believe in is such a great idea.

What? You don't have a legal sign preventing me from carrying here?

Well, why don't you get one? Please! Oh, please ban me!

Nah. If a business doesn't prohibit me from a lawful activity, I really don't think encouraging them to do so is "in my best interest" at all.

Nope. Not me. If I don't see a gun buster sign, I sure as heck won't ask them to put one up.

Post imported post

My opinion is if its something that they are going to kick people out of their store for, and/or call law enforcement aboutbecause their policy is to ban people who carry, then they should have that marked.

Nah. If a business doesn't prohibit me from a lawful activity, I really don't think encouraging them to do so is "in my best interest" at all.
    You either misunderstood what I was saying or twistedinto something else to try and make a seperate point.

I am not advocating that they ban law abiding citizens in the least bit. They've already stated to me that they are prohibiting OC inside that store.When smoking was allowed in public places as well as private business, stores thatprohibit it usually had a sign up on their door. The same goes for pets.

I also respect the point you are trying to tie in with my commentsthat it isn't a good idea to mention signage. I will never mention that again in a place of business because Inow understand there is a harmwhen doing that even if it may appear innoculous on the surface. I do think a business should offer that courtesy if they are going to be ruffled by a citizen who practices OC but will definitely keep that opinion to myself in the future.

edited to add some clarity.

Post imported post

MK wrote:
    My opinion is if its something that they are going to kick people out of their store for, and/or call law enforcement aboutbecause their policy is to ban people who carry, then they should have that marked.

You either misunderstood what I was saying or twistedinto something else to try and make a seperate point.

I am not advocating that they ban law abiding citizens in the least bit. They've already stated to me that they are prohibiting OC inside that store.When smoking was allowed in public places as well as private business, stores thatprohibit it usually had a sign up on their door. The same goes for pets.

I also respect the point you are trying to tie in with my commentsthat it isn't a good idea to mention signage. I will never mention that again in a place of business because Inow understand there is a harmwhen doing that even if it may appear innoculous on the surface. I do think a business should offer that courtesy if they are going to be ruffled by a citizen who practices OC but will definitely keep that opinion to myself in the future.

edited to add some clarity.
    Welcome to the forum MK. If you look around on this and some other threads both on this forum and the main OPENCARRY you will see that the official Wal Mart policy is to follow state and local law. So if it's legal to OC in your jurisdiction corp. policy would be that it's legal in that store. With that said I believe a manager can ask anyone to leave for any reason. If you are wanting to OC in the store and are then asked to leave, I would comply. You might also ask for a copy of the corp. policy so they can show you were it states "no OC".
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Post imported post

Oh, I agree with you MK. If an employee asks me to leave, I will peacefully comply. While following a businesses policy is my responsibility, I believe the responsibility to inform me of it lies with the business.

If they keep a certain policy "out of sight" they can't very well expect me to follow it. When it regards my right to protect myself, not following it keeps me safe.

Making sure that they inform me removes my "excuse" for not knowing the policy, hence: remaining armed in their establishment.

Just a bad idea all around to suggest they post a sign. If they want me to do my part and follow their policy, it's their responsibility to post, not mine to remind them to so.

BTW: as noted above Wal-Mart corporate policy is to follow state law. Open carry is legal here in Missouri, so Wal-Mart's policy is to allow OC. Any Wal-Mart employee saying anything dfferent is blowing smoke.

1) Inform them that you are leaving their store peacefully since they are ejecting you.

2) Ask them to provide you with written proof of store policy.

3) Get their full name and job title.

4) Inform them that you will be notifying corporate headquarters and filing a formal complaint against them specifically for ejecting youcontrary tostore policy.

5) Follow through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast