• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Wal Mart

MK

imported post

The Wal Mart on Missouri Boulevard in Jefferson City,

About 2 weeks ago I asked the employees at customer service what the store's policy was in regards to open carry.

I was told that the store policty says not allowed and that they would ask someone to leave if they saw a firearm visible. They also told me their policy for selling firearms was that they would walk you to the door and then hand control over to you as you were preparing to leave the premises.

I told them that since its legal to open carry in Jefferson City, it might be in people's best interest if they put up a sign in the doorway notifying the public of this. That way there would be no confusion for those of us who may autmotically assume that our rights carry over onto their property.

This wasn't the store manager I talked to but an employee. I asked if I could speak with the manager present in the store and after repeated calls from the customer service employee and about 20 minutes passing and no manager coming up front, I decided to go about my business in the store. I wasn't carrying at the time.

I have carried my sidearm one time into House of Bargains in Apache Flats and had seen one other customer carrying one openly that day.The employeesin the sporting goods section are veryhelpful with their customer service dealing with firearms andseem to be very supportive of pro gun issues. I will do more of my business there for sure from now on.

Superlite27

imported post

it might be in people's best interest if they put up a sign in the doorway notifying the public of this.

Maybe in your opinion.

In my opinion, I'm not so sure advocating that a business take a stance against something I believe in is such a great idea.

What? You don't have a legal sign preventing me from carrying here?

Well, why don't you get one? Please! Oh, please ban me!

Nah. If a business doesn't prohibit me from a lawful activity, I really don't think encouraging them to do so is "in my best interest" at all.

Nope. Not me. If I don't see a gun buster sign, I sure as heck won't ask them to put one up.

MK

imported post

My opinion is if its something that they are going to kick people out of their store for, and/or call law enforcement aboutbecause their policy is to ban people who carry, then they should have that marked.

Nah. If a business doesn't prohibit me from a lawful activity, I really don't think encouraging them to do so is "in my best interest" at all.
You either misunderstood what I was saying or twistedinto something else to try and make a seperate point.

I am not advocating that they ban law abiding citizens in the least bit. They've already stated to me that they are prohibiting OC inside that store.When smoking was allowed in public places as well as private business, stores thatprohibit it usually had a sign up on their door. The same goes for pets.

I also respect the point you are trying to tie in with my commentsthat it isn't a good idea to mention signage. I will never mention that again in a place of business because Inow understand there is a harmwhen doing that even if it may appear innoculous on the surface. I do think a business should offer that courtesy if they are going to be ruffled by a citizen who practices OC but will definitely keep that opinion to myself in the future.

edited to add some clarity.

SavageOne

imported post

MK wrote:
My opinion is if its something that they are going to kick people out of their store for, and/or call law enforcement aboutbecause their policy is to ban people who carry, then they should have that marked.

You either misunderstood what I was saying or twistedinto something else to try and make a seperate point.

I am not advocating that they ban law abiding citizens in the least bit. They've already stated to me that they are prohibiting OC inside that store.When smoking was allowed in public places as well as private business, stores thatprohibit it usually had a sign up on their door. The same goes for pets.

I also respect the point you are trying to tie in with my commentsthat it isn't a good idea to mention signage. I will never mention that again in a place of business because Inow understand there is a harmwhen doing that even if it may appear innoculous on the surface. I do think a business should offer that courtesy if they are going to be ruffled by a citizen who practices OC but will definitely keep that opinion to myself in the future.

edited to add some clarity.
Welcome to the forum MK. If you look around on this and some other threads both on this forum and the main OPENCARRY you will see that the official Wal Mart policy is to follow state and local law. So if it's legal to OC in your jurisdiction corp. policy would be that it's legal in that store. With that said I believe a manager can ask anyone to leave for any reason. If you are wanting to OC in the store and are then asked to leave, I would comply. You might also ask for a copy of the corp. policy so they can show you were it states "no OC".

Superlite27

imported post

Oh, I agree with you MK. If an employee asks me to leave, I will peacefully comply. While following a businesses policy is my responsibility, I believe the responsibility to inform me of it lies with the business.

If they keep a certain policy "out of sight" they can't very well expect me to follow it. When it regards my right to protect myself, not following it keeps me safe.

Making sure that they inform me removes my "excuse" for not knowing the policy, hence: remaining armed in their establishment.

Just a bad idea all around to suggest they post a sign. If they want me to do my part and follow their policy, it's their responsibility to post, not mine to remind them to so.

BTW: as noted above Wal-Mart corporate policy is to follow state law. Open carry is legal here in Missouri, so Wal-Mart's policy is to allow OC. Any Wal-Mart employee saying anything dfferent is blowing smoke.

1) Inform them that you are leaving their store peacefully since they are ejecting you.

2) Ask them to provide you with written proof of store policy.

3) Get their full name and job title.

4) Inform them that you will be notifying corporate headquarters and filing a formal complaint against them specifically for ejecting youcontrary tostore policy.

5) Follow through.

Festus_Hagen

imported post

MK wrote:
The Wal Mart on Missouri Boulevard in Jefferson City,

About 2 weeks ago I asked the employees at customer service what the store's policy was in regards to open carry.  

I was told that the store policty says not allowed and that they would ask someone to leave if they saw a firearm visible.   They also told me their policy for selling firearms was that they would walk you to the door and then hand control over to you as you were preparing to leave the premises.

I told them that since its legal to open carry in Jefferson City, it might be in people's best interest if they put up a sign in the doorway notifying the public of this.   That way there would be no confusion for those of us who may autmotically assume that our rights carry over onto their property.

This wasn't the store manager I talked to but an employee.   I asked if I could speak with the manager present in the store and after repeated calls from the customer service employee and about 20 minutes passing and no manager coming up front, I decided to go about my business in the store.   I wasn't carrying at the time.

I have carried my sidearm one time into House of Bargains in Apache Flats and had seen one other customer carrying one openly that day.   The employees in the sporting goods section are very helpful with their customer service dealing with firearms and seem to be very supportive of pro gun issues.   I will do more of my business there for sure from now on. 
I've done it in that one as well as the one on 54 Hwy. Like I said, I always have a button down shirt not buttoned on, but my wife is always telling me it's showing anyway. I tell her I don't care, she's just letting me know. I choose to not attract more attention than needed, but not really trying to hide it either. I do have a CCW also, so I can't get arrested for having it concealed if the law wanted to see it that way.

Not sure who it was you talked to, but I have had good experiences with the lady in sporting goods, as I see her all the time, as well as other employees. I just act like myself, and I think that kinda sets peoples mind at ease if the person with the gun is acting normal. They may also just think I'm a cop too, who knows ...lol.

I'd email the corporate office and let them know OUR laws, and what you were told. Also tell them what was stated about "corporate policy is to follow state law. "

Let us know what happens. :)