• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Wal Mart

SavageOne

imported post

I was just talking to a local State Trooper and a Local LEO. I work with a former ST and have had a few discussions about OC with him(he's totally for it). I decided to ask this ST about his opinion on OC. He seemed reluctant, to say one way or the other. The LEO cockily stated OC was fine if you wanted to be drawn on a few times. The ST then related how a K9 officer in full uniform went into a Wal Mart to buy a bag of dog food for his dog. Upon entering he was told he couldn't be in there with an OC gun. He stated that yes he could. They then said the only way he could was if he was accompanied by an employee. He told them "great someone to talk to, go get'em".

My question is does anyone know Wal Mart's corporate policy on OC? I have seen other posts here that stated it usually went along with the local regs. I would also like any opinions on how someone should handle a situation like this.

yelohamr

imported post

I OC in my local WalMart and other stores and have never had a problem. That may seem strange here in the People's Republic of Kalifonia.

I grew up in Missouri and get there every June for the annual family reunion. I'll be OCing if it's legal in Newton County.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I oc at most wal-marts, the one where I live in in a OC legal area but the store manager has a stick up his but about OC, he told me over the phone that he talked to his LEGAL department and they told him he was allowed to ask some to leave, basicly he could not ban it but if I was seen OCing I would be asked to leave, so I hide it in plan sight if my wife drags me there, I dont like going there anyways.

yelohamr

imported post

ComSec wrote:
I oc at most wal-marts, the one where I live in in a OC legal area but the store manager has a stick up his but about OC, he told me over the phone that he talked to his LEGAL department and they told him he was allowed to ask some to leave, basicly he could not ban it but if I was seen OCing I would be asked to leave, so I hide it in plan sight if my wife drags me there, I dont like going there anyways.
Which one? I'll be in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit next June and plan to OC.

Reepin_Ruether

imported post

I work at Wal-Mart in Washington, MO. I've asked about this policy sense I've seen countless people with open carry. I've asked my manager and they said we dont have a policy regarding CCW or OP. As long as its in the holster it's fine.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Reepin_Ruether wrote:
I work at Wal-Mart in Washington, MO. I've asked about this policy sense I've seen countless people with open carry. I've asked my manager and they said we dont have a policy regarding CCW or OP. As long as its in the holster it's fine.
I live in West Plains, MO and that's pretty much the policy in that Wal-mart. My son worked security there a few years ago when some of the younger "associates" got upset over a man open carrying in the store. They called the manager who basically said, "He's legal. He has a right to have it. If he's not causing any trouble either ignore him or wait on him when/if he needs help."

357SigFan

imported post

As near as I can tell from some research I've done, is WalMart's policy regarding firearms is pretty much "If it's legal, it's ok".

Kcguy

imported post

It just really saddens me that Wal-Mart would throw such a fit about customers ocing. Hell they sell us the ammo, they sell us the cleaning supplies for the weapon! Yet to some that work there, its offensive for us to be seen with the weapon they supply those items for, which if I may add could someday save their butts from a serious incident if ever it were to occur. How many criminals would truly walk into a wal-mart store ocing? I doubt many, as most Missourians that carry are responsible adults who know how to handle a firearm properly.

Richieg150

imported post

I had a issue with the Lees Summit Wallmart a few months ago.....If a manager gives you ANY flack,ask for Brandon,he is head of security and all the managers answer to him.He knows its legal to carry now ,and is aware ofWallmarts Coorporate posisition on firearms and told me that He appreciated my business and I was welcome to open carry in Wallmart anytime I wanted.He is a decent guy and did his homework on the subject after our first encounter,the story is somewhere in the archives here....

Richieg150

imported post

Missouri > Stopped today open carrying in Lees Summit Wallmart (22 replies - 18

Posted: Wed Jun 17th, 2009 04:39 pm

Edit

Just got off the phone with the head of security at the Lees Summit [highlight= #ffff88]Wallmart.He told me he did some checking,with coorporate,and with the local codes......and told me I was exactly correct :celebrate.He told me that now that he knows the correct info on open carrying,he is going to inform all the other managers about it.He told me that he hoped I would continue to shop at [highlight= #ffff88]Wallmart,and could open carry there anytime.99

Richieg150

imported post

I know the night assistant manager....he is pro gun....he told me that Brandon who is head of security,trumps what the managers say as far as security goes.....next time ask to speakto Brandon head of security.

Richieg150

imported post

I tried to call Brandon today,but he had left for the day.I will call him tomorrow and ask him what the deal is with that particular manager.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

well no problems tonight but I ended up carrying the G19 easier to hide in plain sight, im off to the gun show in OP anyone else going

Richieg150

imported post

I talked to an assistant manager today from wallmart.He has never been told anythink like asking oc,ers to leave.He talked to a couple of other mamagers and they have never been told that either.He thinks the manager in question is probably a guy named Joel.But he still answers to. Brandon who is their loss preventuon/secutiry.mamager.

Festus_Hagen

imported post

themasterofmachines wrote:
Has anyone OC'd in either one of the jefferson city walmarts? Or know any one who has?
I open carry in the WW in JC all the time. I usually have a shirt kinda hanging down, so don't know if anyone has ever noticed. I open carry pretty much everywhere in JC. Have not had any problems yet.