• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC here.

vin_w88

imported post

Hey OC,

I just turned 21 a few months ago, and have recently purchased my first pistol, a new Ruger P95, and have a holster and ammo for it. I was slightly disappointed when I learned that Wisconsin doesn't allow concealed carry, but was interested when I heard about open carry. What are the basic rules that I would need to know, say if I were to go out for a walk at night with my dog and would decide to OC? I know about the restaurant, bar and the school zoning laws. Looking for support and guidance. Hope I came to the right place. Thanks much.

-V

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vin_w88 wrote:
Hey OC,

I just turned 21 a few months ago, and have recently purchased my first pistol, a new Ruger P95, and have a holster and ammo for it. I was slightly disappointed when I learned that Wisconsin doesn't allow concealed carry, but was interested when I heard about open carry. What are the basic rules that I would need to know, say if I were to go out for a walk at night with my dog and would decide to OC? I know about the restaurant, bar and the school zoning laws. Looking for support and guidance. Hope I came to the right place. Thanks much.

-V

First, WELCOME to the forum! Glad to have yet another OC supporter/activist.

Having said that, there are basically five places (cars, bars, government buildings, state parks, 1000ft of school property {unless on private property}). Otherwise we can carry everywhere in Wisconsin.

Walking the dog is GREAT! I posted a pamphlet on bluev8s10 thread is covers things very well. Many of us carry the pamphlet so we can hand them out to others who might ask questions of us.

With Winter coming on, your greatest risk is accidental concealment. Be very careful not to cover your defensive device in any way. Make sure it is always visible. Don't be drinking, don't go looking for any trouble, and read the "don't talk to police" type threads here.

By now, EVERY LEO in the state should know open carry is legal, but there are a few out there who have the wrong attitude, but don't let that deter you. NEVER willingly surrender your firearm to LEO. If they want it, they will take it, don't resist, just don't cooperate.

There were two (2) HUGE OC events up in your area (Glenwood City, and Hudson). Might want to check out those threads and PM some of the locals who can give you more info.

Lastly, remember, other than putting it in the case, it should remain holstered at ALL times when you are out in public. Somebody wants to see it, turn and show them your holstered firearm. NEVER remove it from the holster in public unless it is to case it, or you actually NEED it.

Again, WELCOME and carry on!

vin_w88

imported post

Hey bnh,

Thanks for the advice. I live in a small town and most of the local PD force are friends of mine, and my whole family. I don't foresee having any problems with them, but there are a few deputy sheriffs and state-troopers that could be a potential problem.