• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to carry Daggers?

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

I want to carry a Dagger. I have been looking into it and I really cant find anything that says I cant in the RCW's.

Only thing I have been able to find is:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

Code:
RCW 9.41.250 
 (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon
Furtive:
1. taken, done, used, etc., surreptitiously or by stealth; secret: a furtive glance.
2. sly; shifty: a furtive manner.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/furtively

Intent:
1. something that is intended; purpose; design; intention: The original intent of the committee was to raise funds.
2. the act or fact of intending, as to do something: criminal intent.
3. Law. the state of a person's mind that directs his or her actions toward a specific object.
4. meaning or significance.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/intent

Does "intent to conceal" mean To conceal or just have the intention to conceal it while carrying it? If It is already concealed before I leave home does that fall under intent? Or will this have to be an open carry object?

I understood it that I cant for example carry a dagger in my hand so nobody can see it and then hide it in my pocket.

Also I was not able to find any RCW that says anything about the length of the blade.

If anybody has any information that I am missing I would appreciate it.
I Also would like to read others opinions about carrying a dagger.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

where do you want to carry it? every city and county has its own laws.

in seattle any fixed blade is a no/no

Daath 474

imported post

I used to carry a dagger when I was a kid. It was about three or four inches long, and I kept it in a sheath with a clip on my pocket. The handle was some nice polished wood or something and it was given to me by my dad.

I carried it everywhere I went.

There was a night when my buddies and I got pulled over by about three or four cops since we were walking down the highway (the side, I mean). During the questioning they noticed my dagger and asked about it. I showed it to them and one tried to say it was illegal, but then another officer quickly corrected him. She told him that I was legally allowed to have it.

So if I was a kid, probably not even eighteen or so and they let me off with having it. I'm pretty sure that carrying a dagger is acceptable for anyone. There may however be some law about the length of the blade. You'll want to check that out.

Aaron1124

imported post

It really depends on the city. The state of Washington itself does not restrict the open carry of a fixed bladed dagger. However, many cities, including Seattle and Everett, restrict fixed blades, or blades over a certain length. Check with your municipal codes for the cities you're planning on carrying it.

antispam540

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
It really depends on the city. The state of Washington itself does not restrict the open carry of a fixed bladed dagger. However, many cities, including Seattle and Everett, restrict fixed blades, or blades over a certain length. Check with your municipal codes for the cities you're planning on carrying it.
This sounds like something else that could use pre-emption...

Commodore76

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
This sounds like something else that could use pre-emption...

Agreed. I can OC an OlyArms OA-98 with a 30 rnd mag, but not a three and a half inch knife? Is that there one of them "feel good" laws?

Every time you touch a knife with a four or moreinchblade, an angel looses his wings. So sad. Save an angel, carry a gun.

Hey, we were lookin for a motto...

1245A Defender

imported post

my best friend gave me a "beautifull" PUMA sheath knife with a2 1/2" blade "wore it at dinos". its legal everywhere as long as its OCd, but if i put it in my pocket, im sure to be breaking the law.:cry:

thing is i wear it at 9:30 "im left handed"and its bound to be covered by my shirt or coat:banghead: im not furtive so i should be OK.:lol:

its funny"legal wise" that in most of washington you can carry a sword "as long as its openly carried", or a battle axe, or a chain saw:what:, but not a "razor":banghead:.

Aaron1124

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
my best friend gave me a "beautifull" PUMA sheath knife with a2 1/2" blade "wore it at dinos". its legal everywhere as long as its OCd, but if i put it in my pocket, im sure to be breaking the law.:cry:

thing is i wear it at 9:30 "im left handed"and its bound to be covered by my shirt or coat:banghead: im not furtive so i should be OK.:lol:

its funny"legal wise" that in most of washington you can carry a sword "as long as its openly carried", or a battle axe, or a chain saw:what:, but not a "razor":banghead:.
Where does the law say anything about a razor?