• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Britain deploys permanently armed police in London

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
saveyourself wrote:
It upsets me when our second line of defence (the police) are the only ones who get the nice hardware. It's not as if they're on the scene when it matters. I say, completely disarm the police:lol: then see who want's the people armed again.

UK for Open Carry:celebrate

Like they say, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

UKOC, I like it. I fear it won't happen in my lifetime, but I like it. I was reading Dracula by Bram Stoker the other day and the men in the story in England were mostly armed with pistols as a matter of daily habit. 'Twas barely a hundred years ago...
Once upon a time, it was a common occurrence for citizens to be armed within the confines of London, where the police have been disarmed by tradition since the 19th century.

Imagine that! Gaggles of armed Brits, nary an armed cop to be found, and somehow their society wasn't in ruins.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Let me second the welcome to the open carry site! It is very nice to have a person of your experience and perspective on the site. I look forward to your continued participation and insight.

I also recommend the scholarly work by Joyce Lee Malcom. It is perhaps the best history and explanation of how England came to be where it is now.

I would also recommend "Firearms Control" by Colin Greenwood, written in 1972. Here is a review:

"This was a landmark reference when it first appeared over three decades ago. Now retired senior police officer Greenwood won a study award at Cambridge University (UK) to study firearm-armed violence in England and Wales. He came to the arguably startling conclusion that violence with firearms was much lower before any controls existed, particularly before the 1920 legislation was passed. He also notes that this legislation was intended to curb revolutionary fervour, not control crime. Later laws particularly those passed in the 1960s and 1970s seemed to have little effect upon reducing violence with firearms. "

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
marshaul wrote:
saveyourself wrote:
Understandable :(

but, things might change!
I hope, for the sake of the broader future of European liberty.
I suspect the cradle of future European liberty is more likely to be in Prague.
I was saying something similar the other day.

However, the influence of Britain is not to be ignored.

old dog

imported post

To saveyourself, marshaul et al.:

Let me begin with a caveat. I'm a huge fan of Winston Churchill and have read numerous accounts of his life and career so I can't point to which one I read this in. But . . . in the Battle of Sidney Street in which anarchists fired on police one writer claimed the first police on the scene borrowed revolvers from citizens.

Has anyone else seen this or is it merely urban legend? If true it would be a devastating irony. (Might this earn a historian an ASB caution in the brave, new England of only approved facts?).

I note today that being photographed with a knife, even in your home, can bring the police around. Does it occur to anyone that your police, not to mention local councils, are out of control?

I wonder if the nation that did so much to create Western civilization can ever be revived.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, I have no citation to support the veracity of that story.

But I suspect it's true. The wikipedia article reports that the first police to respond were unarmed, and it was the shooting of a couple of those officers which led to the massive armed police response and "siege".

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if one or more of the surviving officers from that initial encounter armed themselves with borrowed guns before the reinforcements arrived.

saveyourself

Swansea which is in Wales not England, , United Ki
imported post

I have also read the story of Sydney Street - somewhere? I don't think it is disputed that the police borrowed pistols from members of the public. IIRC the Anarchists where burned to death in a building they hid in.

I understand it was possible to have a firearm for defence as recently as 1953. As someone mentioned, the rot set in earlythe 20thC when the rulers of the day feared The People venting their spleen!

All the wrong reasons for gun control in my opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

old dog wrote:
To saveyourself, marshaul et al.:

Let me begin with a caveat. I'm a huge fan of Winston Churchill and have read numerous accounts of his life and career so I can't point to which one I read this in. But . . . in the Battle of Sidney Street in which anarchists fired on police one writer claimed the first police on the scene borrowed revolvers from citizens.

Has anyone else seen this or is it merely urban legend? If true it would be a devastating irony. (Might this earn a historian an ASB caution in the brave, new England of only approved facts?).

I note today that being photographed with a knife, even in your home, can bring the police around. Does it occur to anyone that your police, not to mention local councils, are out of control?

I wonder if the nation that did so much to create Western civilization can ever be revived.
A picture being worth a thousand words -
churchill.gif

Yata hey

old dog

imported post

One of my favorite photos, grapeshot. It captures the man perfectly.

saveyourself,
You're right about the fight. Mr. Churchill was home secretary at the time and rushed to the scene. After the fire broke out and the felons continued to shoot, Churchill ordered the fire brigade to stand down and let it burn rather than risk firemen's lives. I shudder to imagine the calumny he would be subjected to today.

Allow me another anecdote. In 1940, when Nazi invasion seemed imminent the Churchills were discussing the peril over dinner and he was telling all that they must be prepared to fight. His daughter-in-law Pamela (later Harriman) told him she didn't know about guns and couldn't even shoot.

He is reported to have glared at her over his glasses and said "You can go to the kitchen and take up a carving knife." This is the spirit that created and sustained England.

And then there's today.

old dog

imported post

save,
My two sons, in their 40s now were shooting since just past toddler stage. By 8 they were using my 1911 .45 to good effect. I gave one of my granddaughters a Ruger target pistol for her 13th Christmas. She is off to university this fall to become a Navy officer and later a doctor. I'm not very proud of her at all.

I wish I could introduce your girls to real shooting. I'll bet they would like the Beretta 9mm. It's heavy enough so recoil is negligible even for little ones.

saveyourself

Swansea which is in Wales not England, , United Ki
imported post

I've had a bit of a cunning plan!

My wife want's to take the children to Disneyland (Paris). I have heard from guys at work who have been there since the last time we went, it is so expensive thatit is probably cheaper to use the one in Florida. :cool:I understand Florida has quite a few ranges, not too far from Disneyland !! Where a Gentleman may enjoy an afternoons pistol practice:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I wonder if they have an age limit?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

saveyourself wrote:
I've had a bit of a cunning plan!

My wife want's to take the children to Disneyland (Paris). I have heard from guys at work who have been there since the last time we went, it is so expensive thatit is probably cheaper to use the one in Florida. :cool:I understand Florida has quite a few ranges, not too far from Disneyland !! Where a Gentleman may enjoy an afternoons pistol practice

I wonder if they have an age limit?
Most ranges will likely work with you, subject to some variables.

My son was shooting at several ranges he was 8 yrs old.

Should this become a real possibility, pose your questions in the Florida section. You surely will get good response.

Yata hey