• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there a former Marine here?

Squeak

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Only the DI's are called sir (and Brig Wardens)
My DI was called DRILL SGT. NOT sir. But then, you called them whatever they wanted, or else!

Nitrox314

imported post

Sergeant of Marines here 2001-2009

The whole "Former Marine" has alot to do withhow society sees us also. When a former Navy man does something either amazing or despicable the news reports that 'A Man' has done this and they may mention he had served in the Navy at one time. Only with the Marines do they go with the title "Former Marine". Doesn't matter reserve or not.

Of course with the two Wars going, its a little more maleable that it was before. The news eats up on former military doing horrendous things, so you might see that as a headline regardless right now.

You can take the man out of the Marine Corps but you can never take the Marine Corps out of the man. Ooh Rah! Another thing some of these civy's might not know about Marines is thatMarines arethe newSpartans). If you ask a army admin guy to man a post or take patrol you will have to send him to training because he only ever shot his gun in boot. Or ask aNavy Electronic Technician to move onto the front lines or secure the permiter, they will look at you like your stupid. Ask ANY Marine to do any of these things and they will do it with precision and confidence because EVERY Marine is trained. The other services test with paper and book for early promotions based on their skill in their field. Every Marine tests with Rifle, Muscle, Loyalty, Sweat and Blood for their promotion. Its based on how good a Marine you are. Grunts or Admin or even Motor Transport must perform with the rifle and pass the physical tests all the same. That is the Core of the Corps.

"Daxos: I see I was wrong to expect Sparta's commitment to at least match our own.
King Leonidas: Doesn't it?
[points to Arcadian soldier behind Daxos]
King Leonidas: You there, what is your profession?
Free Greek-Potter: I am a potter... sir.
King Leonidas: [points to another soldier] And you, Arcadian, what is your profession?
Free Greek-Sculptor: Sculptor, sir.
King Leonidas: Sculptor.
[turns to a third soldier]
King Leonidas: You?
Free Greek-Blacksmith: Blacksmith.
King Leonidas: [turns back shouting] Spartans! What is your profession?
Spartans: HA-OOH! HA-OOH! HA-OOH!
King Leonidas: [turning to Daxos] You see, old friend? I brought more soldiers than you did."