• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laguna Beach / Orange County - Open Carry Meet

oc4ever

imported post

coolusername2007, after being the original person suggesting Laguna, sorry I was not able to make it. I knew that it would be a good choice, since their PD is low key normally. Nick's does have very good food.

Can you tell me who you called at LBPD, and the reaction you received when you told them what was going to happen on Saturday? Laguna's LEO's tend to be very tolerant, considering the town's varied lifestyles. I can't believe not even any contact by the local LEO's with a dozen folks with guns just hanging around downtown's crowded tourist area. This shows they don't want the hassle OF screwing with armed citizens obeying the law, just the way it should be. Was their any reaction from other tourist? Where did you guys walk around?

Orange County's UOC history was rewritten with your meeting. You all should be proud with the example set. I can only hope that other Orange County cities LEO's learn from Laguna's lowkey non-confrontational example, and take a hands off approach to UOC. Wishful thinking, I know, but this a good example of how not all LEO's have it in for OC'ers. Good job Laguna PD!!

greengum

imported post

There were a couple reactions. One was Wewd, Alexis and I got seperated from the group. We were walking back into town when a gentleman informed Wewd that he hoped he was a police officer. Wewd responded with "No, I am an American."

Another was the town crazy guy walked past all of us and was saying something to the effect of "f*&king police, you will never get me!"

The crazy part was nobody approached and and asked what we were doing or why we had guns. I also think (as well as others) that Nick's was tipped off because it was almost as if they expected us to be armed.

I still say we should have taken a basketball with us. They had a couple of courts with a bunch of players. I would have like to played a game, but instead of shirts vs skins it would be Armed Vs. Unarmed.

greengum

imported post

O and I forgot. I think I won the "noob of the day" award when talking to the group about speed loaders and speed strips. Wewd asked me what I was carrying. I responded with "bullets".

demnogis

imported post

Grats on the OC event everyone! I wanted to come but couldn't... I was working on a client's car for pretty much all day. One of those things where everything that could be unexpected happened -- Murphy's Law applies to mechanic work apparently.

Nopal

imported post

greengum wrote:
There were a couple reactions. One was Wewd, Alexis and I got seperated from the group. We were walking back into town when a gentleman informed Wewd that he hoped he was a police officer. Wewd responded with "No, I am an American."

Another was the town crazy guy walked past all of us and was saying something to the effect of "f*&king police, you will never get me!"

The crazy part was nobody approached and and asked what we were doing or why we had guns. I also think (as well as others) that Nick's was tipped off because it was almost as if they expected us to be armed.

I still say we should have taken a basketball with us. They had a couple of courts with a bunch of players. I would have like to played a game, but instead of shirts vs skins it would be Armed Vs. Unarmed.

The basketball game would've been fun but you need good retention on those holsters.

Just a minor point. One woman did approach us and asked us why we had guns. I just repplied that it was our rightbutshe kept walking, and pulled her cell phone out shortly thereafter.

I have a feeling (and hope) that if she did call the cops, theyexplained to her that there was nothing illegal about what we were doing.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Nopal wrote:
Just a minor point. One woman did approach us and asked us why we had guns. I just repplied that it was our rightbutshe kept walking, and pulled her cell phone out shortly thereafter.

I have a feeling (and hope) that if she did call the cops, theyexplained to her that there was nothing illegal about what we were doing.
Should have handed her a brochure!

A ECNALG

imported post

greengum wrote:
I also think (as well as others) that Nick's was tipped off because it was almost as if they expected us to be armed.
Indeed, they were.

While waiting for everyone to arrive, I poked my nose inside the restaurant just to take a quick look and confirm that I was indeed the first to arrive. I mentioned to the hostess thatI would be with a group of about a dozen and would like to put my name in for a table that could accomodate us.

As this was happening, a fella who I could have taken for an UOC'er approached and asked how I was doing. Turned out that he was one of the twomanagers. I asked him "do you know anything about a group of UOC'ers meeting here this morning?" He said "I heard a little bit about it, but not much." His reaction was little more than what I would have expected if I had insteadasked himif a group from Knight of Columbus was expected.

The thing that struck me immediately though was that he knew exactly what I meant by "UOC'ers," as I did notutter the words"unloaded open carriers."

So, if none of us let the kitty out of the burlap, then we can probably take a wild guess at who did, and how and where they obtained such information.

oc4ever

imported post

It would be interesting to know how many people called the police that day regarding people with guns, and what the 911 operator told them.

demnogis

imported post

All of laguna's pd services are handled by the orange county's sheriff. I wonder if we can check the dispatch/call logs for that day...

oc4ever wrote:
It would be interesting to know how many people called the police that day regarding people with guns, and what the 911 operator told them.

oc4ever

imported post

Laguna is their own police department. The sheriff has the rest of southern Orange County except them

coolusername2007

imported post

Interesting. Have you been to previous years' shows? What are the crowds like, big or small? At first thought, Iam somewhat hesitant if overly crowded.I like my personal space especially if armed. But am open to comments for consideration.

chewy352

imported post

I have never been but I do expect large crowds.

I think that If I really carry for defense of my family then why wouldn't I carry there as I expect to attend with a group or just my family and I. I do feel that we would be better off with a meet as we have power and safety in numbers.

BTW ifanyone hasa boat we can watch from the boat therefore avoiding the crowd altogether.