• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PM system is screwy...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

So I made a list of about 10 local 'activists' that I was sending a PM to, in reference to a highway litter clean up..... seperated user name by commas, did everythign 'right'...

As of about 2 mins ago I've had about 8 people THAT I DID NOT SEND THE MESSAGE TO accusing me of spam, saying I've sent it to them 3 times, and they're all over the country, almost at random....

W T F.

To all those that got a PM from me, If you're outside of the Seattle-Tacoma area, just ignore it..... It's NOT spam, but you weren't the intended target

gunner

imported post

not to worry john, i wasn't complaining, and i do wish you good luck/success with your event.

"gunner"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
So I made a list of about 10 local 'activists' that I was sending a PM to, in reference to a highway litter clean up..... seperated user name by commas, did everythign 'right'...

As of about 2 mins ago I've had about 8 people THAT I DID NOT SEND THE MESSAGE TO accusing me of spam, saying I've sent it to them 3 times, and they're all over the country, almost at random....

W T F.

To all those that got a PM from me, If you're outside of the Seattle-Tacoma area, just ignore it..... It's NOT spam, but you weren't the intended target
I got three PMs from TW, too.

The PM system has a bug in it evident when you're sending a PM to certain addresses that have commas/numbers in them. Like to:

2, 4, 5 A defender

It's flaky. That may be what happened.

nova

imported post

I thought it was spam too but after clicking on the facebook link I saw that it was an open carry litter pick-up event.

No worries. :)

virginiatuck

imported post

I received three of them as well.

Just by reading the message, it looks like you're trying to sell domain names. So it's understandable that people thought it was spam.

It's a start...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=162054242882&ref=nf

.org domains are available.... Just got to get hosting and stuff...
I checked the sender's past posts, to see whether a user's account was hijacked or if there was some other explanation; I found this thread.

I cautiously opened the link on a "throw-away" computer and realized what it was immediately.

4armed Architect

imported post

HankT wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
"Snip..."
The PM system has a bug in it evident when you're sending a PM to certain addresses that have commas/numbers in them. Like to:

2, 4, 5 A defender

It's flaky. ...Snip
HankT is correct. I regularly get PMs that were meant for others, especially 2, 4, 5 A defender. The combinations of numbers and commas seems to be a problem (commas may be the bigger part of the problem since the PM system uses commas to delineate the various recipients). Not only is it flaky, it's is annoying. So boys and girls keep the commas out of your names. I may have to change mine to eliminate the number contained in it.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Me too

HankT wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

W T F.

I got three PMs from TW, too.

2, 4, 5 A defender

It's flaky. That may be what happened.

gunner

imported post

side note: i haven't been too active here until recently, though my membership goes back a couple of years, but i'm seeing a group ofwell manneredgentlemen, and i'll try to be more active to enjoy your company in the future.

"gunner"