Thread: Well, that changes things

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I was working on an event with the local Parks and Rec guys and was in the office with the maintenance folks when one just started staring slack jawed at me because he had noticed my sidearm when I took my overshirt off because I was hot.

After a quick explanation of why I was carrying my "cocked" gun (1911), the older of the two just simply shook his head and stated "Well, that changes things... If you got out of line, I was going to smack you around a bit. Now, I guess I need to sneak up behind you with a 2x4 and make it count."

My response, "Good luck!"

Later that day, another of the maintenance guys freaked out and nearly ran screaming from the room, but seemed to pull himself together and didn't address it any further after he regained composure... "[stepping back about 10 ft] MY GOD, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN?" A short, calm discussion later, he really didn't seem to be afraid anymore

All in all, a very educational weekend. There were 4 people that learned a bit about the laws and I even had a short discussion w/ the dept. director and she didn't have any concerns.

Post imported post

Good for you.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Wow what it's like to live life being afraid of inanimate objects?

Post imported post

As well as thinking being 10 more feet away from a holstered handgun will make you "safe." Or maybe "safer."

~ Boyd

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    As well as thinking being 10 more feet away from a holstered handgun will make you "safe." Or maybe "safer."

~ Boyd
    LOL...that reminds me, last night I rode my motorcycle over to the nearest 7-11 to make my donation to the VA Lottery. After I backed into my parking spot and was taking off my helmet, goggles, and gloves while sitting on my bike, some guy was walking by and said "That's a nice bike!"Then he noticed my 1911 on my hip, took a half step back side stepped by while saying "...and that's a nice gun."

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd
    Given some of the shooting I see at my local range... 10 or so feet would dramatically improve someone's odds of surviving being shot at.

Take my wife for example. She can hit the target well (8-10 rings on target)... with the rounds that hit the target. But approx 1/3 of the rounds miss entirely.

But her shell casings... Doesn't matter where I stand. I get pelted with them every time she fires a round. She's deadly accurate with casings. Bullets, not so much. :P

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Given some of the shooting I see at my local range... 10 or so feet would dramatically improve someone's odds of surviving being shot at.

Take my wife for example. She can hit the target well (8-10 rings on target)... with the rounds that hit the target. But approx 1/3 of the rounds miss entirely.

But her shell casings... Doesn't matter where I stand. I get pelted with them every time she fires a round. She's deadly accurate with casings. Bullets, not so much. :P
    She must be missing the target because she has to adjust to send the casing at you
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
    I was working on an event with the local Parks and Rec guys and was in the office with the maintenance folks when one just started staring slack jawed at me because he had noticed my sidearm when I took my overshirt off because I was hot.

After a quick explanation of why I was carrying my "cocked" gun (1911), the older of the two just simply shook his head and stated "Well, that changes things... If you got out of line, I was going to smack you around a bit. Now, I guess I need to sneak up behind you with a 2x4 and make it count."

My response, "Good luck!"

Later that day, another of the maintenance guys freaked out and nearly ran screaming from the room, but seemed to pull himself together and didn't address it any further after he regained composure... "[stepping back about 10 ft] MY GOD, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN?" A short, calm discussion later, he really didn't seem to be afraid anymore

All in all, a very educational weekend. There were 4 people that learned a bit about the laws and I even had a short discussion w/ the dept. director and she didn't have any concerns.
    Hopefully you gave them all some Open Carry cards.. if not.. shoot me an email with your address and I will send you a stack
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

You have to remember that in the social and economic demographic your Parks and Rec people likely belong to, a gun means a thug. The idea of legal open carry would never occur to them. The process advances one person at a time. Always be willing, as you were, to explain it. Good job!
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

that would apply to 2/3 of them... the other 1/3 are just good ole boys...

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    LOL...that reminds me, last night I rode my motorcycle over to the nearest 7-11 to make my donation to the VA Lottery. After I backed into my parking spot and was taking off my helmet, goggles, and gloves while sitting on my bike, some guy was walking by and said "That's a nice bike!"Then he noticed my 1911 on my hip, took a half step back side stepped by while saying "...and that's a nice gun."
    Now THIS one made me laugh out loud!!! take it easy riding out there!
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Post imported post

ed i would love some open carry cards . the people at work ask all the time.about oc ing.e-mail me please

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Wow what it's like to live life being afraid of inanimate objects?
    LMAO dude. Seriously!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
    that would apply to 2/3 of them... the other 1/3 are just good ole boys...
    Some Parks and Rec employees are finely attuned. At a recent event in Henrico, I had a number of them ask me for GSL stickers.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.