• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well, that changes things

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was working on an event with the local Parks and Rec guys and was in the office with the maintenance folks when one just started staring slack jawed at me because he had noticed my sidearm when I took my overshirt off because I was hot.

After a quick explanation of why I was carrying my "cocked" gun (1911), the older of the two just simply shook his head and stated "Well, that changes things... If you got out of line, I was going to smack you around a bit. Now, I guess I need to sneak up behind you with a 2x4 and make it count."

My response, "Good luck!"

Later that day, another of the maintenance guys freaked out and nearly ran screaming from the room, but seemed to pull himself together and didn't address it any further after he regained composure... "[stepping back about 10 ft] MY GOD, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN?" A short, calm discussion later, he really didn't seem to be afraid anymore

All in all, a very educational weekend. There were 4 people that learned a bit about the laws and I even had a short discussion w/ the dept. director and she didn't have any concerns.

TexasNative

imported post

As well as thinking being 10 more feet away from a holstered handgun will make you "safe." Or maybe "safer."

~ Boyd

fully_armed_biker

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
As well as thinking being 10 more feet away from a holstered handgun will make you "safe." Or maybe "safer."

~ Boyd
LOL...that reminds me, last night I rode my motorcycle over to the nearest 7-11 to make my donation to the VA Lottery. After I backed into my parking spot and was taking off my helmet, goggles, and gloves while sitting on my bike, some guy was walking by and said "That's a nice bike!"Then he noticed my 1911 on my hip, took a half step back side stepped by while saying "...and that's a nice gun.":D

darthmord

imported post

TexasNative wrote:

~ Boyd

Given some of the shooting I see at my local range... 10 or so feet would dramatically improve someone's odds of surviving being shot at.

Take my wife for example. She can hit the target well (8-10 rings on target)... with the rounds that hit the target. But approx 1/3 of the rounds miss entirely.

But her shell casings... Doesn't matter where I stand. I get pelted with them every time she fires a round. She's deadly accurate with casings. Bullets, not so much. :p

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

darthmord wrote:
Given some of the shooting I see at my local range... 10 or so feet would dramatically improve someone's odds of surviving being shot at.

Take my wife for example. She can hit the target well (8-10 rings on target)... with the rounds that hit the target. But approx 1/3 of the rounds miss entirely.

But her shell casings... Doesn't matter where I stand. I get pelted with them every time she fires a round. She's deadly accurate with casings. Bullets, not so much. :p

She must be missing the target because she has to adjust to send the casing at you :)

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
I was working on an event with the local Parks and Rec guys and was in the office with the maintenance folks when one just started staring slack jawed at me because he had noticed my sidearm when I took my overshirt off because I was hot.

After a quick explanation of why I was carrying my "cocked" gun (1911), the older of the two just simply shook his head and stated "Well, that changes things... If you got out of line, I was going to smack you around a bit. Now, I guess I need to sneak up behind you with a 2x4 and make it count."

My response, "Good luck!"

Later that day, another of the maintenance guys freaked out and nearly ran screaming from the room, but seemed to pull himself together and didn't address it any further after he regained composure... "[stepping back about 10 ft] MY GOD, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN?" A short, calm discussion later, he really didn't seem to be afraid anymore

All in all, a very educational weekend. There were 4 people that learned a bit about the laws and I even had a short discussion w/ the dept. director and she didn't have any concerns.
Hopefully you gave them all some Open Carry cards.. if not.. shoot me an email with your address and I will send you a stack

The Wolfhound

imported post

You have to remember that in the social and economic demographic your Parks and Rec people likely belong to, a gun means a thug. The idea of legal open carry would never occur to them. The process advances one person at a time. Always be willing, as you were, to explain it. Good job!

vt800c

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
LOL...that reminds me, last night I rode my motorcycle over to the nearest 7-11 to make my donation to the VA Lottery. After I backed into my parking spot and was taking off my helmet, goggles, and gloves while sitting on my bike, some guy was walking by and said "That's a nice bike!"Then he noticed my 1911 on my hip, took a half step back side stepped by while saying "...and that's a nice gun.":D

Now THIS one made me laugh out loud!!! take it easy riding out there!:monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
that would apply to 2/3 of them... the other 1/3 are just good ole boys...
Some Parks and Rec employees are finely attuned. At a recent event in Henrico, I had a number of them ask me for GSL stickers.

Yata hey