• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Training

smokey

imported post

Greetings,

Long time lurker first post. I am looking for some assistance with a paper that i am writing for english 101 about open carry. Sorry if this has been discused before i could not find anything that was paticularly helpfull in my browsing.

My question is this, how many of you attend handgun training courses and how often?

Thanks

Smokey

brianstone1985

imported post

I cant tell you that I have not had a registered "Hand Gun Training Course" I grew up hunting/shooting on my parents property and nearly every day was a training day. I did go to an actual shooting challenge once though.

oldkim

imported post

So, this varies from the extremes. Meaning zero courses to lots of them.

First, Washington Statedoes not require any form of "training" to own a firearm. So long as your record is "clean" and you meet the miminal age and general requirement to own a firearm.

Some states do require a "course" to obtain a concealed firearm license or permit - but again Washington is not one of them. To apply for a concealed pistol license (CPL) you just have to meet the requirements and pay the fee ($55.25).

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconceal.html

For those that do attend some type of training course it's rare that they will attend frequently. On a regular basis - meaning at least once a year.

It's kind of like asking how often do you attend a driver safety course after you get your driver's license? I mean you may have to take it the first time to get your license. But apply that to firearms - you don't have to take a course to begin with.

What I am trying to tell you is that (in my opinion) the vast majority of people do not attend any "training course." Most of what people learn is on their own, via the internet (books and videos)or personal experiences from friends andfamily.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

17 Years of military qualifications, 30 + years of hunting,its funny but i may not be qualified to carry a weapon according to some of the local liberal hippies.

Batousaii

imported post

Pro marksman at age 11 with Boy scouts, self studied Massad Ayoobtechniquessince mid teenager, and later as a U.S. Army Infantry Sergeant. Always took interest in CIA/FBI techniques, as well as old school western and whatevers in between. I have shot countless thousands of rounds as a civilian under many various scenarios, from long distance paper punching, to milk jug golfing with a shotgun, skeet, fast and slow pistol routines, assault rifle maneuvers, stress shoots etc. I been an active firearms enthusiast for as long as i can remember... In fact, only until the last few years, and mostly due to the price of ammo have I not been shooting as much. I think by now i got Bicycle syndrome and cold easily and instinctively deploy my arm in a defensive manner with effectiveness... I always enjoy learning different styles from different era's.

Preferred weapon: Currently .45 Auto 1911 or Single Action .45 Vaquero wheel gun (looks like a peacemaker)

FMCDH

imported post

This is a question that would pretty much require each individual to answer for their own situation. That being said, nearly everyone I know who carries has some sort of NRA or military training in their past.

Myself...

I have had 4 formal combat/safety courses in the 13 years I have been carrying a handgun from a variety ofinstructors to include NRA, FBI and through the military. The last time I did a "formal"coursewas about 4 years ago as part of military qualifications.

I haveno formalhunting experience.

I go to the rangeabout once a month on my own dime and my own time.About 80% of myvisits are concentrated on handgun fundamentals and self defense drilling.

Hope that helps.

heresolong

imported post

smokey wrote:
My question is this, how many of you attend handgun training courses and how often?

Thanks

Smokey
Perhaps it would be helpful if you told us either the specific point you are going to try to make or the topic of your paper.

As was mentioned previously, there is no requirement to have a training course to own a firearm so you probably won't see any sort of trend based on the limited data you will collect here.

For myself I have never been through what some might consider a "handgun training course". I shot pellet target rifles as a child, was on the NROTC rifle team at UW, was in the military and did a basic qualification, am a certified JROTC air rifle instructor, and have shot in a variety of competitions over the years. I read extensively to improve my shooting and my firearms handling, and I try to get to the range a couple times a month although that is split between rifle and pistol depending on my mood. I routinely practice "unloaded" pistol drawing using Massad Ayoob's 8 step technique in order to ensure that I could get my gun out of the holster in a timely manner if it was needed. I have received shooting pointers from my friend who is an Iraq veteran who was an Airborne Ranger and attended Sniper School.

None of these qualifies as a "course" but I would consider myself a fair shot and well versed in the fundamentals of shooting and firearms safety.

David.Car

imported post

Both parents were military. Began shooting at young age with them and in boyscouts. Completed basic firearm safety, and some marskmanship courses. Run multiple real life scenario drills each time I go to the range.

gsx1138

imported post

I've been to an eight hour safety course that basically told me everything I already knew. I downloaded a few Todd Jarrett video's and watched those a few time with dry fire practice. I do plan on taking a more intensive handgun coarse with more practical shooting techniques involved.

I'd also like to learn how to use my AR more effectively. I can't find anyone who teaches not only defensive rifle classes but small unit tactics. Then there's the whole money thing.

smokey

imported post

Sorry I suppose I should have been a bit more specific. The point I am trying to establish was that even without the gov pay-check most civilians are better trained than many of our local LEO's. I seem to remember reading somewhere that most PD's only require a twice a year test to ensure that officers have sufficient skill with their weapon.

Lots of good info still, definatly useable.

Thanks
smokey

David.Car

imported post

The point that always comes up when discussing LEO shooting and civilians shooting is that many LEO only have a gun because it is part of the job. Many only have their duty guns, and really aren't all that into it.

Perfect example, while talking with a couple deputies, before they went on duty,at the fair this year, one all of a sudden turned to the other and said he had to run home because he had forgotten his firearm. No I am not saying this is common but it is evidence that they are out there.

Now citizen gun ownerson the other hand have a tendency to love shooting. We do it recreationally as well as to be prepared to protect our families. Since we love shooting, we tend to do it as often as we can afford to.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

GSX1138, you should try watching "nutnfancy" videos on youtube, he has a lot of good videos about different weapons and tactics. Does drills with his buddies (LEOs and just plain civilians).