• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member intro

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Just figured I'd say hello to everyone before I actually started posting.I'm new to open carry and guns, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. :)

ODA 226

imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
Just figured I'd say hello to everyone before I actually started posting.I'm new to open carry and guns, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. :)
Where did you get your name Mike_Hawke?

Bull Frog

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:
Just figured I'd say hello to everyone before I actually started posting. I'm new to open carry and guns, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. :)

Let me guess - a mother or father? Or perhaps a screen name, self imposed?

What does it matter? :celebrate

Wangmuf

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

Mike Hawke = old-school "call a random business and have them ask for mike hawk" name. "My cock to the register, please, My cock has a phone call on line 3."

Bull Frog

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:
Just figured I'd say hello to everyone before I actually started posting. I'm new to open carry and guns, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here. :)

Mike Hawke = old-school "call a random business and have them ask for mike hawk" name. "My cock to the register, please, My cock has a phone call on line 3."

Oh. I see, said the blind man to the lady with the wooden leg. :?

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

Oh. I see, said the blind man to the lady with the wooden leg. :?
At least he didn't pick the screen name...."Mike_Hunt." LOL!!!!:D

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

As mentioned above, I always thought that was "Mike Hunt." :lol:

Thank you all for the greeting.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:

I'm just a little bit curious as to your location. Your tag says you're in Puerto Rico but firearms ownership there is severely restricted and open carry most certainly isn't allowed except for police and military (as far as I know), and if you fit into either of those categories you don't have the same worries as the rest of us.

If you're just originally from Puerto Rico and now live someplace else, where might that be?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

I'm just a little bit curious as to your location. Your tag says you're in Puerto Rico but firearms ownership there is severely restricted and open carry most certainly isn't allowed except for police and military (as far as I know), and if you fit into either of those categories you don't have the same worries as the rest of us.

If you're just originally from Puerto Rico and now live someplace else, where might that be?

Ah, much likethe actuality of thename, Puerto Rico is not my real location. I believe that anonymity in speech is an important right in a free society, especially when dealing with controversial issues. I'm not one of those tinfoil hatters, but I do feel that anonymity is important. My ideas on this are summed up best by this explanation give on an increasinglypopular financial news site:

our method: pseudonymous speech...

anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. it thus exemplifies the purpose behind the bill of rights, and of the first amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation-- and their ideas from suppression-- at the hand of an intolerant society.

...responsibly used.

the right to remain anonymous may be abused when it shields fraudulent conduct. but political speech by its nature will sometimes have unpalatable consequences, and, in general, our society accords greater weight to the value of free speech than to the dangers of its misuse.

- mcintyre v. ohio elections commission 514 u.s. 334 (1995) justice stevens writing for the majority

though often maligned (typically by those frustrated by an inability to engage in ad hominem attacks) anonymous speech has a long and storied history in the united states. used by the likes of mark twain (aka samuel langhorne clemens) to criticize common ignorance, and perhaps most famously by alexander hamilton, james madison and john jay (aka publius) to write the federalist papers, we think ourselves in good company in using one or another nom de plume. particularly in light of an emerging trend against vocalizing public dissent in the united states, we believe in the critical importance of anonymity and its role in dissident speech. like the economist magazine, we also believe that keeping authorship anonymous moves the focus of discussion to the content of speech and away from the speaker- as it should be. we believe not only that you should be comfortable with anonymous speech in such an environment, but that you should be suspicious of any speech that isn't.

ODA 226

imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

Real funny you gob shites! :lol:

The reason I asked is because a real guy named Myke Hawke is a former Special Forces teammate of mine and a friend. He lives in England now and not PR. Thought it might be the same guy or one of his many fans from around the world.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

Real funny you gob @#$%es! :lol:

The reason I asked is because a real guy named Myke Hawke is a former Special Forces teammate of mine and a friend. He lives in England now and not PR. Thought it might be the same guy or one of his many fans from around the world.

Negative. 'Tis merely a screen name.

I bet he got made fun of in high school though. :lol:

ODA 226

imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Mike_Hawke wrote:

Real funny you gob @#$%es! :lol:

Negative. 'Tis merely a screen name.

I bet he got made fun of in high school though. :lol:
No...In High School his name was Mike Penny...