Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when was the last time that you were stopped by the police while OC in virginia

Post imported post

hello

when was the last time you were stopped by a LEO while OC in Virginia

and what was the outcome

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
    when was the last time you were stopped by a LEO while OC in Virginia

and what was the outcome
    August of last year.. detailed here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...mp;forum_id=54
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Never.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Never, and I assume you are referring to a traffic stop.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Never, and I assume you are referring to a traffic stop.
    I thought he meant any interaction with a LEO while OC. traffic, sidewalk, park, anything.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Ah, the good old days.

When we had to carry voice recorders and sterile carry.

When Danbus would get arrested and we would have to go to Norfolk to protest overflowing the city council chambers with open carriers.

Now the issue is to stay vigilant. Gun grabbers are an illogicalbut crafty lot.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

yes you were right

stopped by a LEO while walking,driving,etc....any situation

Post imported post

Stopped on a bicycle a couple months ago. It was not a positive interaction is all you need to know

Post imported post

Hopped a curb to do a u-turn while stuck in traffic (from a VERY LARGE funeral procession) when I had a hospital/doctor appointment an hour and a half away. Pistol was sitting on front seat as I had taken it out since it was digging into my ribs, wallet was right next to it. I didn't inform the state trooper that it was there, he didn't say anything about it being there, and he didn't draw down on me when I reached for my wallet that was right next to it.

It was a non-event and when I explained why I jumped the curb to take a different route he let me go and told me to be safe.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Stopped on a bicycle a couple months ago. It was not a positive interaction is all you need to know
    OK.

But, are you doing anything about it?
    I decided not to pursue it. It would have been too much financially and timely.

Post imported post

I did find a great VCDL attorney that would have taken the case on a contingency basis. The problem for me was that even with him taking contingency, I would still be paying somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for everything. I am not exactly rich nor have a ton of time on my hands being a college kid.:?

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Ah, the good old days.

When we had to carry voice recorders and sterile carry.
    For me the good old days were when I was in Arizona and didn't have to carry a voice recorder and worry about unlawful stops. Not to mention helping others who have faced police abuse.

I can't wait to go back to AZ, once I'm done with school. Life is too short for this ****.

I envy your ease of OCing.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    .....he has represented me in 8 police misconduct lawsuits on a contingency basis.
    You have been involved in 8 separate police misconduct lawsuits?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    .....he has represented me in 8 police misconduct lawsuits on a contingency basis.
    You have been involved in 8 separate police misconduct lawsuits?
    I'd assume he doesn't present retired LEO identification when he has an "incident".

Post imported post

all of my LEO encounters were voluntary on my behalf (small chit chat) and have all been positive. That said, I still carry a voice recorder just in case I come across one of the 'bad' ones that seem to be in the minority. I have never been detained or pulled over for that matter.

Post imported post

only time i've ever seen a cop while walking around open carrying was while attending a gun show. at the small manassas show (at the fairgrounds) a cop saw me and didn't say anything. same happened at the fredericksburg, dale city, and chantilly shows in years past.

i did get pulled over for dead tags in fairfax. i was open carrying as was a friend of mine who was sitting in the passenger seat. the vehicle i was driving was my mothers and i wasn't aware of the expired license plates so he let me go with a written warning. he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it. the cop didn't say a word about the gun i was wearing or the rifle cases that were visible in the cargo area of the SUV. when he looked in the back area,i think he was just looking for people more than anything else. just the two of us were in the vehicle and both of us were buckled up.

Post imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
    he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it.
    wow. I know there is no duty to inform but I personally would never "reach" for anything while a LEO was present while carrying without informing him and discussing my intentions first. He could have been distracted with traffic, things going on at home, etc.. re glances at you, sees you reaching and gun on your hip.. you just painted the picture of an Oops.

Why would you not just tell him your intent and that you (and your friend) are OC so that there are no surprises for anyone?

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Never
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    Never
    You could OC a rocket launcher and the cops would still overlook you. I think the most that you would get out of an officer would be, "What is that? That is cool!":P

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    Never
    You could OC a rocket launcher and the cops would still overlook you. I think the most that you would get out of an officer would be, "What is that? That is cool!":P
    +1

You're right. ODA just has that "Officer Presence" about him that radiates "THOU SHALT NOT FLUCK WITH ME" aura...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

I did have an OC encounter with a local deputy that wasn't familiar with the law. He insisted on seeing my CHP, even after I repeatedly told him I didn't need a CHP to OC. I declined to persue it oficially. I spoke to some friends and the deputy was well-educated by his co-workers and superiors. I've seen this deputy since the original incident and I was OCing. He was polite and even smiled & waved when I saw him. Win-win situation... No trouble and he got an education.

EDIT: I was walking in downtown Yorktown on the waterfront. The deputy was a "courthouse" guy not a traffic/street guy. He was on a "detail" for the extra $$$.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Not been stopped by law enforcement since I started carrying.

Post imported post

About a year and a half ago I got pulled over and receiveda verbal warning for speed. I drove into a speed trap and the officer stepped into the road and directed me to pull over. He walked up to my window, showed me his radar gun hadclocked me at 7 over, and told me to watch my speed. That was it. I had to look down and make sure my gun was still sitting on the seat next to me, because he either didn't see it or didn't care at all.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Flowmaster wrote:
    he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it.
    wow. I know there is no duty to inform but I personally would never "reach" for anything while a LEO was present while carrying without informing him and discussing my intentions first. He could have been distracted with traffic, things going on at home, etc.. re glances at you, sees you reaching and gun on your hip.. you just painted the picture of an Oops.

Why would you not just tell him your intent and that you (and your friend) are OC so that there are no surprises for anyone?

Ed
    he asked for my license and registration and i said ok, let me get that out of my wallet. then i reached for my wallet. i'm not required to tell him so i didn't.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I did find a great VCDL attorney that would have taken the case on a contingency basis. The problem for me was that even with him taking contingency, I would still be paying somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for everything. :?
    WTF??? That's not a true contingency basis if they wanted $2,000 to $3,000 up front. My attorney takes my case(s), gets an award (or settlement), take his office expenses out, take his agreed upon percentage out, and sends me the rest. And I have been extremely pleased with his services and fees.

I guess I should clarify this a little though. My cases were not "good". They were "extremely good!" Win - win cases.

The only thing I even remotely disliked about my cases was the settlement phases. after their fighting tooth and nail for years in each case, the settlements let the defendants continue to claim no wrongdoing, and forbids me from saying how much they had to pay me in each case.

Even on a contingency basis, the client is still (at least technically) responsible for costs (court fees, expert witness fees, etc.).

Here is a good explanation (this is just something I found online - this is not my law firm and I am not a trial attorney):

Another aspect of the contingency fee agreement in personal injury cases is the repayment of "costs." "Costs" refer to those expenses which the personal injury attorney or someone will have to pay in order to pursue the injury claim. This is not money for the attorney’s time. Rather, the costs are to pay for things like the medical records, medical consultations with the injured person’s doctors, witness fees for the doctors to testify, expert witness fees for professionals necessary to prove certain aspects of the liability or damages, and fees to courts and court reporters. Normally, the personal injury victim is not in a position to pay these costs out of their own pocket. Typically, the person who has been hurt in an accident is struggling to pay their own bills while they may be out of work or incurring unexpected medical bills. So, the law allows a personal injury attorney to advance these costs on behalf of the client. This means that the lawyer will pay for these things to pursue the personal injury case expecting to get paid back after the case is finished. Our firm does this on all of our personal injury cases and gets it costs advanced back from the client upon successful completion of the case.

If the injured person does not make a recovery sufficient to pay back the costs, typically the law firm ends up writing off those as a non-recoverable loss. Technically, under the ethics law applicable to personal injury cases, the client remains responsible for unrecovered costs. However, as a practical matter, our law firm never sues anyone for these costs and does not expect to be paid back under most circumstances because the client usually cannot afford to pay back those costs in the event that their personal injury case is lost. The way cost recovery works also creates incentives for me, as the personal injury lawyer, to make sure that we try to win the case as we have the risk of having to eat the costs if we are not successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast