• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

when was the last time that you were stopped by the police while OC in virginia

MSC 45ACP

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
You could OC a rocket launcher and the cops would still overlook you. I think the most that you would get out of an officer would be, "What is that? That is cool!":p

+1

You're right. ODA just has that "Officer Presence" about him that radiates "THOU SHALT NOT FLUCK WITH ME" aura... :cool:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I did have an OC encounter with a local deputy that wasn't familiar with the law. He insisted on seeing my CHP, even after I repeatedly told him I didn't need a CHP to OC. I declined to persue it oficially. I spoke to some friends and the deputy was well-educated by his co-workers and superiors. I've seen this deputy since the original incident and I was OCing. He was polite and even smiled & waved when I saw him. Win-win situation... No trouble and he got an education. :)

EDIT: I was walking in downtown Yorktown on the waterfront. The deputy was a "courthouse" guy not a traffic/street guy. He was on a "detail" for the extra $$$.

VApatriot

imported post

About a year and a half ago I got pulled over and receiveda verbal warning for speed. I drove into a speed trap and the officer stepped into the road and directed me to pull over. He walked up to my window, showed me his radar gun hadclocked me at 7 over, and told me to watch my speed. That was it. I had to look down and make sure my gun was still sitting on the seat next to me, because he either didn't see it or didn't care at all.

Flowmaster

imported post

ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:
he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it.
wow. I know there is no duty to inform but I personally would never "reach" for anything while a LEO was present while carrying without informing him and discussing my intentions first. He could have been distracted with traffic, things going on at home, etc.. re glances at you, sees you reaching and gun on your hip.. you just painted the picture of an Oops.

Why would you not just tell him your intent and that you (and your friend) are OC so that there are no surprises for anyone?

Ed
he asked for my license and registration and i said ok, let me get that out of my wallet. then i reached for my wallet. i'm not required to tell him so i didn't.

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I did find a great VCDL attorney that would have taken the case on a contingency basis. The problem for me was that even with him taking contingency, I would still be paying somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for everything. :?

WTF??? That's not a true contingency basis if they wanted $2,000 to $3,000 up front. My attorney takes my case(s), gets an award (or settlement), take his office expenses out, take his agreed upon percentage out, and sends me the rest. And I have been extremely pleased with his services and fees.

I guess I should clarify this a little though. My cases were not "good". They were "extremely good!" Win - win cases.

The only thing I even remotely disliked about my cases was the settlement phases. after their fighting tooth and nail for years in each case, the settlements let the defendants continue to claim no wrongdoing, and forbids me from saying how much they had to pay me in each case.

Even on a contingency basis, the client is still (at least technically) responsible for costs (court fees, expert witness fees, etc.).

Here is a good explanation (this is just something I found online - this is not my law firm and I am not a trial attorney):

Another aspect of the contingency fee agreement in personal injury cases is the repayment of "costs." "Costs" refer to those expenses which the personal injury attorney or someone will have to pay in order to pursue the injury claim. This is not money for the attorney’s time. Rather, the costs are to pay for things like the medical records, medical consultations with the injured person’s doctors, witness fees for the doctors to testify, expert witness fees for professionals necessary to prove certain aspects of the liability or damages, and fees to courts and court reporters. Normally, the personal injury victim is not in a position to pay these costs out of their own pocket. Typically, the person who has been hurt in an accident is struggling to pay their own bills while they may be out of work or incurring unexpected medical bills. So, the law allows a personal injury attorney to advance these costs on behalf of the client. This means that the lawyer will pay for these things to pursue the personal injury case expecting to get paid back after the case is finished. Our firm does this on all of our personal injury cases and gets it costs advanced back from the client upon successful completion of the case.

If the injured person does not make a recovery sufficient to pay back the costs, typically the law firm ends up writing off those as a non-recoverable loss. Technically, under the ethics law applicable to personal injury cases, the client remains responsible for unrecovered costs. However, as a practical matter, our law firm never sues anyone for these costs and does not expect to be paid back under most circumstances because the client usually cannot afford to pay back those costs in the event that their personal injury case is lost. The way cost recovery works also creates incentives for me, as the personal injury lawyer, to make sure that we try to win the case as we have the risk of having to eat the costs if we are not successful.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:
he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it.
wow. I know there is no duty to inform but I personally would never "reach" for anything while a LEO was present while carrying without informing him and discussing my intentions first. He could have been distracted with traffic, things going on at home, etc.. re glances at you, sees you reaching and gun on your hip.. you just painted the picture of an Oops.

Why would you not just tell him your intent and that you (and your friend) are OC so that there are no surprises for anyone?

Ed
he asked for my license and registration and i said ok, let me get that out of my wallet. then i reached for my wallet. i'm not required to tell him so i didn't.
you dont get it. you can still be RIGHT and be injured or dead. We just disagree.

crazydude6030

imported post

ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:
ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:

Ed
you dont get it. you can still be RIGHT and be injured or dead. We just disagree.

Hold up.... He was OC'ing so the cop would have had to been able to see the gun right? Else wouldn't that be CC'ing? So maybe the officer saw the gun and thus wasn't alarmed?

rebfan

imported post

A bit off the main topic.... I had a State trooper walk past me this past Saturday while I was standing outside of G&A in Manassas. He walked up on my strong side, and had to have saw I was oc'ing. Not a word was said.

nemo

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I have an excellent attorney.

I would be glad to know the name of your excellent attorney. I am not now involved in a case, but want to have the name of a lawyer in preparation for any needed event. TIA.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:
ed wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:

Ed

Hold up.... He was OC'ing so the cop would have had to been able to see the gun right?
I don't know what the cop could see... so I err on the side of safety.. and restate the obvious. "Hi officer, before I reach for my wallet in my back pocket, I just wanted to tell you that I am carrying a loaded firearm on my right hip". That statement does a few things.. It helps ensure I will come home to see Brookie, it "tags" my voice recorder with that statement so that if the cop says he was surprised or that he could not see it, etc., according to some cops (most I have asked) they REALLY appreciated the consideration.. so much in fact that you might get off the speed thing with a warning.

Your mileage may vary.

wylde007

imported post

ed wrote:
Hi officer, before I reach for my wallet in my back pocket, I just wanted to tell you that I am carrying a loaded firearm on my right hip
A little verbose for my taste, but does the job.

Your second statement about the voice recorder is a good point. It says you gave specific and reasonable issue of "warning" (for lack of a better term) that you were carrying.

bohdi

imported post

I haven't been stopped by a LEO for OC, I've been stopped for doing other silly things and reminded that thou shall not i.e. school busses with flashing lights and signs. The guy reminded me that I needed to inform when pulled over. I told him I didn't have said weapon so I didn't need to inform. He was polite, courtious, and professional. I think I need to follow up with a letter to the station though recommending they review the "shall notify" issue. I didn't feel like arguing it on the spot at the time.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More than 3 years of regular OC, and have never had any interaction with LEO's except to smile and nod. Then again, I don't appear to be the dangerous type at all. (Of course, those who know me have commented on my subtle but slightly demented grin when OC'ing. Imagine Jack Nicholson with a holstered gun. :shock::uhoh: )

lax

imported post

Never been stopped for OC.
It is a real PITA though to plan out where I'll be each day so I don't cross a magical line that turns me into a felon.