• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

when was the last time that you were stopped by the police while OC in virginia

Thundar

imported post

Ah, the good old days.

When we had to carry voice recorders and sterile carry.

When Danbus would get arrested and we would have to go to Norfolk to protest overflowing the city council chambers with open carriers.

Now the issue is to stay vigilant. Gun grabbers are an illogicalbut crafty lot.

Sheriff

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Stopped on a bicycle a couple months ago. It was not a positive interaction is all you need to know:(

OK.

But, are you doing anything about it?

curtiswr

imported post

Hopped a curb to do a u-turn while stuck in traffic (from a VERY LARGE funeral procession) when I had a hospital/doctor appointment an hour and a half away. Pistol was sitting on front seat as I had taken it out since it was digging into my ribs, wallet was right next to it. I didn't inform the state trooper that it was there, he didn't say anything about it being there, and he didn't draw down on me when I reached for my wallet that was right next to it.

It was a non-event and when I explained why I jumped the curb to take a different route he let me go and told me to be safe.

Sheriff

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I decided not to pursue it. It would have been too much financially and timely.

Not necessarily true. If you have a good case of official police misconduct, it's not that hard to find an attorney to represent you on a contingency basis.

I have an excellent attorney. After my being a sworn deputy sheriff for almost 3 decades, and never once imagining my having to sue cops, he has represented me in 8 police misconduct lawsuits on a contingency basis. And so far, 7 of them have settled out of court after the defendantscouldn't have them dismissed asfrivolous lawsuits. An 8th is still pending. Will probably go to a jury in 2010.

I wish more people knew that attorneys still accept good cases on a contingency basis. :cuss:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I did find a great VCDL attorney that would have taken the case on a contingency basis. The problem for me was that even with him taking contingency, I would still be paying somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for everything. I am not exactly rich nor have a ton of time on my hands being a college kid.:?

Michigander

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Ah, the good old days.

When we had to carry voice recorders and sterile carry.
For me the good old days were when I was in Arizona and didn't have to carry a voice recorder and worry about unlawful stops. Not to mention helping others who have faced police abuse.

I can't wait to go back to AZ, once I'm done with school. Life is too short for this shit. :cuss:

I envy your ease of OCing. :uhoh:

Sheriff

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I did find a great VCDL attorney that would have taken the case on a contingency basis. The problem for me was that even with him taking contingency, I would still be paying somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for everything. :?

WTF??? That's not a true contingency basis if they wanted $2,000 to $3,000 up front. My attorney takes my case(s), gets an award (or settlement), take his office expenses out, take his agreed upon percentage out, and sends me the rest. And I have been extremely pleased with his services and fees.

I guess I should clarify this a little though. My cases were not "good". They were "extremely good!" Win - win cases.

The only thing I even remotely disliked about my cases was the settlement phases. after their fighting tooth and nail for years in each case, the settlements let the defendants continue to claim no wrongdoing, and forbids me from saying how much they had to pay me in each case.

nova

imported post

all of my LEO encounters were voluntary on my behalf (small chit chat) and have all been positive. That said, I still carry a voice recorder just in case I come across one of the 'bad' ones that seem to be in the minority. I have never been detained or pulled over for that matter. :D

Flowmaster

imported post

only time i've ever seen a cop while walking around open carrying was while attending a gun show. at the small manassas show (at the fairgrounds) a cop saw me and didn't say anything. same happened at the fredericksburg, dale city, and chantilly shows in years past.

i did get pulled over for dead tags in fairfax. i was open carrying as was a friend of mine who was sitting in the passenger seat. the vehicle i was driving was my mothers and i wasn't aware of the expired license plates so he let me go with a written warning. he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it. the cop didn't say a word about the gun i was wearing or the rifle cases that were visible in the cargo area of the SUV. when he looked in the back area,i think he was just looking for people more than anything else. just the two of us were in the vehicle and both of us were buckled up.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
he had to have seen my gun. i'm left handed so i keep my wallet in my left back pocket and i had to sort of lift myself up out of my seat to get to my wallet. when i did so, i basically pointed my left hip out the window, just to make sure he saw it.
wow. I know there is no duty to inform but I personally would never "reach" for anything while a LEO was present while carrying without informing him and discussing my intentions first. He could have been distracted with traffic, things going on at home, etc.. re glances at you, sees you reaching and gun on your hip.. you just painted the picture of an Oops.

Why would you not just tell him your intent and that you (and your friend) are OC so that there are no surprises for anyone?

Ed