• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a place to shoot in the Montgomery area

possumbarnes

imported post

I live in Millbrook and have purchased 2 guns for carrying about two months ago. One for me and one for my wife. I grew up around guns, but she is sort of apprehensive with hers. I'm looking for a place to take her plinking and get her very comfortable with her gun. I'd also like to get myself comfortable with mine and how it shoots.

Does anyone know of a place you can shoot for free on the north side of Montgomery? Maybe someone that has some land that has set up their own little shooting range that wouldn't mind accommodating us, or an actual range that is open to the public and not too expensive that isn't 40 miles away or more?

I sort of stumbled onto this site while searching for shooting ranges, so I thought I'd just sit down and ask.

Possum

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Welcome to OpenCarry! I'm up in Birmingham, so I don't know of any ranges in the Montgomery area, but we have a few up here that might be worth a look if you're ever in town. There's the FOP range off 20-59, and ATI downtown. You can google either to get more info. Good luck and stay safe.

surfacewarrior

imported post

hey possum, wait till after deer season and i will shoot with you and the missus on my property north of Prattville. I have a little set-up that works for me and several friends,0-200 yds. but it goes right over my food plots,thats the wait.

surfacewarrior

possumbarnes

imported post

I appreciate the offer, Surfacewarrior. I'll try to get in touch with you after the season's over with. For now, the only two places I've found are Tri-County shooting range in Montgomery, which is a tiny little hole in the wall that charges $15 every time you go, or the Coosa Cty WMA target range in Coosa county, which is about 35 miles away but free.

arolfsen

imported post

we just drove to auburn to shoot at the range there. we were the only folks there on a sunday. there is also the lower wetumpka road gun club. $15 a day and a one time $35 registration fee if your not already a member. central alabama gun club in the shorter area. $125 a year and a $100 first time registration fee. nice thing about thier place is you can go whenever you want and stay as long as you want.

surfacewarrior

imported post

hey possum, deer season is over, if you still need place to shoot, let me know, i sawed down two trees tis weekend with my ak, and myfriend sighted in his ar, let me know.

surfacewarrior