• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Writing a paper on Gun Control, need sources

Trent

imported post

So I am talking with another student about how the liberal government is slowly taking away gun rights until there is nothing left, and my prof. comes over and demands I show sources for my claims. I tell him I am happy to.

I decided to write a paper showing the proof of my statements, and I don't believe I have enough to make a decent paper. If anyone on here has some links to youtube videos, articles, or news reports I could use, I would be beyond grateful.

Also, and info about how the Second Amendment is vital to the security of the US would help too. This report will be read in front of hundreds of students, and so I think it would be well worth the effort.

Much thanks to any and all help.

Phssthpok

imported post

If you have the time I suggest you read the book "Unintended Consequences". It does a fairly good job of presenting the chronology of gun-rights loss beginning with the first major laws in the 30's.

FMCDH

imported post

You need to read "America Fights Back" by Dave Workman & Alan Gottlieb.

Enlightening book to say the least.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Trent wrote:
So I am talking with another student about how the liberal government is slowly taking away gun rights until there is nothing left, and my prof. comes over and demands I show sources for my claims. I tell him I am happy to.
What claims did you make?

Trent

imported post

HankT wrote:
Trent wrote:
Nothing over the top at all. I talked briefly about how liberal parties like the Brady Campaign are dead set on getting rid of America's guns even though doing so violates the second amendment. Also that such organizations have used illegitimate tactics to convince the public of their viewpoint (like when the BC labeled semi-auto rifles as "assault rifles", and that hollow point bullets are "cop killers")

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Trent wrote:
HankT wrote:
Trent wrote:
Nothing over the top at all. I talked briefly about how liberal parties like the Brady Campaign are dead set on getting rid of America's guns even though doing so violates the second amendment. Also that such organizations have used illegitimate tactics to convince the public of their viewpoint (like when the BC labeled semi-auto rifles as "assault rifles", and that hollow point bullets are "cop killers")
What is your source for the statement that the Brady Bunch is "dead set on getting rid of America's guns even though doing so violates the second amendment?"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One of the most concise and inclusive sources on the second amendment is the 'Second Amendment Primer'. Included in the book is an incredible paper called 'The Embarrassing Second Amendment'. This is an absolute must.

Tawnos

imported post

HankT wrote:
Trent wrote:
HankT wrote:
Trent wrote:
What is your source for the statement that the Brady Bunch is "dead set on getting rid of America's guns even though doing so violates the second amendment?"
While I can't claim to speak for him, the highest "scorecard" state for the BC is California. That's a state where ownership and legal transfer of a firearm has an expiration date based on a book of their arbitrary standards, where the color of a gun can cause it to lose certification, where not paying a fee every 5 years and recording with the government what guns you own can result in prison time, where only the politically connected are issued concealed weapons permits, where private citizens may not engage in the transaction of their firearms without federal and state approval, where guns are banned solely on their cosmetic appearance, where a gun stolen from you and used in a crime can result in charges against you, and many other things. That is the closest state to their ideal state of being, and it's insane.

Not only that, but taking this quote from their mission statement:
Second, there are certain classes of weapons that should be out of bounds for private ownership. They include Saturday-night specials, which are used almost exclusively for crime, military-style assault weapons like Uzis and AK-47s, and .50-caliber sniper rifles, which serve no ordinary sporting purpose.
It's clear they do not believe any firearms that are not strictly for sporting purposes should be banned. That is obviously in contrast to the second amendment, which provides a military-based reasoning for the people to keep and bear arms. Even if they don't want to ban all guns, those they do want to ban are in stark contrast to those which would be useful within the framework they claim the second amendment follows - for the militia.

heresolong

imported post

HankT wrote:
Actually they have made this statement on numerous occasions, including filing supporting documents in court for the Washington, DC complete gun ban.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Trent wrote:

I decided to write a paper showing the proof of my statements, and I don't believe I have enough to make a decent paper. If anyone on here has some links to youtube videos, articles, or news reports I could use, I would be beyond grateful.

Also, and info about how the Second Amendment is vital to the security of the US would help too. This report will be read in front of hundreds of students, and so I think it would be well worth the effort.

This is an excellent paper on gun control and may be helpful

http://lawreview.law.wfu.edu/documents/issue.43.837.pdf

Commodore76

imported post

Trent wrote:

Author John Lott JR "More Guns, Less Crime"

FBI Unified Crime Report

CDC studies on guns.

Fraternal Order of Police studies 2000 - current

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

heresolong wrote:
HankT wrote:
Actually they have made this statement on numerous occasions, including filing supporting documents in court for the Washington, DC complete gun ban.
Can you provide a cite?

Tawnos

imported post

HankT wrote:
heresolong wrote:
HankT wrote:
Can you provide a cite?
http://www.nraila.org/heller/conamicusbriefs/07-290_amicus_brady_center.pdf
Contrary to the lower court’s view, guaranteeing a
right to keep and bear arms to “the people” does not
imply that the right extends to private purposes unrelated
to militia service.

The Second Amendment guarantees individuals the
right to be armed only as participants in an organized
militia that serves the security needs of the States.

The lower court argued that guaranteeing a right
to keep weapons for private purposes such as hunting
and self-defense was “the best way to ensure that the
militia could serve when called.” Pet. App. 33a. This
assertion defies common sense and is, once again, historically
inaccurate. Guaranteeing a right to possess
guns for private purposes is neither necessary nor sufficient
as a means for arming state militias. It is not
necessary, since the Constitution gave Congress the
power to require the possession of guns for militia purposes,
nor is it sufficient, because it makes the effective
arming of the militia dependent on the uncertain
choices of private citizens about whether to arm themselves
and what arms to possess.

The arming of the militia
was a matter of government command, not individual
choice.6

While the lower court thought it self-evident that
the word “keep” injects a private, non-militia purpose
into the Amendment, there is no historical or textual
basis to believe that while the right to “bear Arms” is
military, the right to “keep and bear Arms” is not.

Shall I continue?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tawnos wrote:
HankT wrote:
heresolong wrote:
HankT wrote:
Can you provide a cite?
http://www.nraila.org/heller/conamicusbriefs/07-290_amicus_brady_center.pdf
Contrary to the lower court’s view, guaranteeing a
right to keep and bear arms to “the people” does not
imply that the right extends to private purposes unrelated
to militia service.

The Second Amendment guarantees individuals the
right to be armed only as participants in an organized
militia that serves the security needs of the States.

The lower court argued that guaranteeing a right
to keep weapons for private purposes such as hunting
and self-defense was “the best way to ensure that the
militia could serve when called.” Pet. App. 33a. This
assertion defies common sense and is, once again, historically
inaccurate. Guaranteeing a right to possess
guns for private purposes is neither necessary nor sufficient
as a means for arming state militias. It is not
necessary, since the Constitution gave Congress the
power to require the possession of guns for militia purposes,
nor is it sufficient, because it makes the effective
arming of the militia dependent on the uncertain
choices of private citizens about whether to arm themselves
and what arms to possess.

The arming of the militia
was a matter of government command, not individual
choice.6

While the lower court thought it self-evident that
the word “keep” injects a private, non-militia purpose
into the Amendment, there is no historical or textual
basis to believe that while the right to “bear Arms” is
military, the right to “keep and bear Arms” is not.

Shall I continue?

Yes.

Please get to the part where it says that the Brady-ites are "dead set on getting rid of America's guns even though doing so violates the second amendment."