• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U of M

conservative85

imported post

I saw a piece on ABC about the Legislature and the fact that they may change the law to enable the carry of fire arms on campus. The piece used U of M flint campus as the example. Now I am all for this, as far as I am concerned it is legal now based on the Constitution. What caught my attention was the people interviewed.

First was a cop...well you could call him that, I saw a glorified security cop. The interview said he has been keeping campus safe for the last 30 years. Well I know for a fact that that campus has had some problems in just the last few months, so it is not safe. It may be safer than the downtown area but not safe. One cop cannot keep the whole campus safe, and from his appearance I'd say he couldn't run the length of my .45 barrel with out passing out.

Second they interviewed people who were anti. One guy said I don't think college kids should bring guns to school. (um why?) The next guy said it would allow bad guys to bring a gun where it don't belong, what if they get a bad grade? what happens then?. These two people are the reason not every one should be in college.

The third and last guy interviewed was a college administrator who said " There are some in the legislature who feel that we shouldn't be able to govern our selves, and that we should be regulated under the law like the rest of the state, I don't think we should" (para phrasing)

I wonder if people who appear to be educated are really just elitist (Idiot Wind)
ever hear of fair & equal treatment under the law. I mean colleges recieve tax money from the people of Michigan, so the college should have to follow the same rules we have to abide buy.

DanM

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
What you have here is the interviewing of FUDDS :lol:

Fudds, maybe. If they are gun owners who only see their narrow use of guns or type of guns as "correct",have no expansive concept of the RKBA, and are willing to sell out everyone else, not realizing the obvious danger of thatto their own gun rights eventually. That's a Fudd.

But I didn't see anything to indicate these are such people. They may be just pure non-gun-owning hoplophobes.

autosurgeon

imported post

You could be right.... but maybe it is just my definition of a fudd is different.... :lol: You see I used to call these people idiots but I was told that was too strong:cuss: so now I call all idiots fudds... or fuddy duddys :lol:

I was not aware there was an actual firearms rights definition for a fudd

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
You could be right.... but maybe it is just my definition of a fudd is different.... :lol: You see I used to call these people idiots but I was told that was too strong:cuss: so now I call all idiots fudds... or fuddy duddys :lol:

I was not aware there was an actual firearms rights definition for a fudd
From Elmer Fudd fame, Ssshhhh I'm going wabbit hunting. Generally a fudd is a gun owner that only thinks the 2A deals with hunting and as long ashe can hunt thenhe doesn't care about gun control laws.

T Vance

imported post

pmcqueen37 wrote:
I love the statistics that this reporter used to support his/her claims....oh I forgot, there were no statistics. Probably because the statistics would have shown that other colleges that have allowed CC on their campuses that gun related violence has NOT gone up.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Our local news wluk tv did a similar story with comments allowed on their site and also with a poll. Poll was about 50/50 but most of the comments were for it, I was fairly impressed with out communities response. They took my comments (obviously for it, duh) and read them on air. The few people I know in town who are somehow not aware I am a "gun nut" said they were impressed with my forwardness on the issue.

So many hide behind the anonymity of the internet, I choose to use my real name and location on news related posts. Of course, they only read the comments on air if your real name was used, so mine get used a lot, lol.

In the end, I was impressed they aired pro guns on campus comments. I won't say our local media isn't ever biased, but it was nice to hear our cause was furthered locally here in the U.P. of Michigan.

Michigander

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
I saw a piece on ABC about the Legislature and the fact that they may change the law to enable the carry of fire arms on campus.

Not to pick nits, but the law allowscollege carryright now, and as far as I'm concerned, schools are preempted from stopping legal licensed OC based on the preemption of the state constitution. You could take it further than that and say unlicensed 18 year olds with no criminal records should be able to OC as well, but just looking at the facts as they are now, licensed college OC is 100%legal.

Colleges simply need to be told once and for all that gun rights are off limits. Hopefully that gets done here.

Haman J.T.

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Our local news wluk tv did a similar story with comments allowed on their site and also with a poll. Poll was about 50/50 but most of the comments were for it, I was fairly impressed with out communities response. They took my comments (obviously for it, duh) and read them on air. The few people I know in town who are somehow not aware I am a "gun nut" said they were impressed with my forwardness on the issue.

So many hide behind the anonymity of the internet, I choose to use my real name and location on news related posts. Of course, they only read the comments on air if your real name was used, so mine get used a lot, lol.

In the end, I was impressed they aired pro guns on campus comments. I won't say our local media isn't ever biased, but it was nice to hear our cause was furthered locally here in the U.P. of Michigan.
There's an article at MCRGO about it,and the poll there was at 72% pro.

Venator

imported post

Mike wrote:
we are tracking open carry as not being unlawful now on college campuses, which means no permit if on foot. Most states do not criminalize college carry, see http://www.opencarry.org/college.html (AZ & MN pending change to green status)

Well it seems it's just the opposite from what you post on your map. The State allows concealed carryon college campuses EXCEPT in dorms and classrooms. BUT the question is do colleges fall under preemption? They are not listed in the statute as local units of government, so some argue that the college can prohibit firearms (Which most do) and can write citations up to misdemeanors which they do.

Michigan State University has revised it's policy and allows concealed carry holders to carry concealed on campus but must follow state law (No dorms or classrooms). The University of Michigan has come out and said they will arrest anyone that has a firearm on their campus.

There is a bill proposed to address this and would include colleges under the preemption law. If successful then OC or CC (with license) would be allowed on campuses, but the college could prohibit students and staff from possession while on campus.

So you may want to change the college map for Michigan.

Michigander

imported post

The revised bill would allow institutions to ban concealed pistol license holders from carrying a gun in all enclosed areas on campuses, such as museums and student unions. Those with permits could carry firearms on roads, sidewalks, green space and other open spaces.

I carry concealed on college campuses frequently, other than when I'm in a class room. The law allows that. If the above is accurate, this bill will essentially change nothing, other than allowing me to OC outside on a colleges property without fear of academic penalty if it's a school I go to. Which is pretty much worthless.

It does not make sense why the law makers would consult with school people about this. School administrators know how to run schools, they don't typically specialize in guns or gun laws. It would seem our reps are letting us down big time.

conservative85

imported post

The reason the Legislature is getting involved I suppose is because there is a Michigan Law that allows college campi to make their own laws & regulations.

Now as far as I am concerned as far as colleges go they have... to quote a Moron (Al Gore: "“no controlling legal authority.”) I mean even if they do stop me what are they gonna do put me in college jail? Best case scenario they tell me to leave, or try trespass charges.

apjonas

imported post

You should remember that certain institutions - UM, MSU and Wayne State, if I recall correctly are constitutional entities with powers far beyond mere mortal schools like Eastern/Central/Western Michigan U. It would take a (state) constitutional amendment to change this. Legislation won't do it.

Venator

imported post

apjonas wrote:
You should remember that certain institutions - UM, MSU and Wayne State, if I recall correctly are constitutional entities with powers far beyond mere mortal schools like Eastern/Central/Western Michigan U. It would take a (state) constitutional amendment to change this. Legislation won't do it.
This argument may have merit, but there is also a counter to it which is being worked on by many lawyers. MSU has already caved in because they don'tthink theycould win in court. So I think if the legislature includes colleges in preemption the other two will have even less chance in court.