• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident Permits

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I'll leave that one to someone from MI. In an interesting twist, as an Illinois resident with a FOID card, I can open carry in Michigan but not in my own state. As a Wisconsin resident you can open carry in your state but since WI has no permit/license for purchase or possession you can not OC in Michigan.

lechwe

imported post

Michigan honors other states permits but the permit holder must be a resident of the state they hold the permit for. An Ohio resident with an Ohio permit is recognized but an Ohio resident with a Utah non res permit is not.

Does that make sense?

protias

imported post

lechwe wrote:
Michigan honors other states permits but the permit holder must be a resident of the state they hold the permit for. An Ohio resident with an Ohio permit is recognized but an Ohio resident with a Utah non res permit is not.

Does that make sense?
Yes, but doesn't answer the root of my question. WI does not have a permit system, so in order for me to carry in many other states, I have a Utah non-resident permit. I understand that MI does not honor non-resident permits, but I want to know why it is setup that way. After all, the CCW course should all be pretty similar.

lechwe

imported post

protias wrote:
Yes, but doesn't answer the root of my question. WI does not have a permit system, so in order for me to carry in many other states, I have a Utah non-resident permit. I understand that MI does not honor non-resident permits, but I want to know why it is setup that way. After all, the CCW course should all be pretty similar.

I can't answer that part of your question. It may have something to do with the required training but I don't know. There are a couple other states like MI that don't recognize non-rez permits.

Sorry

Michigander

imported post

protias wrote:
I understand that MI does not honor non-resident permits, but I want to know why it is setup that way. After all, the CCW course should all be pretty similar.
Most of Michigan's gun laws that have been around for a while were started because of KKK influence in the legislature.

With Michigans gun laws, as with all gun laws that infringe on the rights of good people, they either don't make sense, or were put into law by people consumed with hatred, or those controlled by such people. Anti gun measures are not, and cannot be put in place for a good reason.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

protias wrote:
lechwe wrote:

Does that make sense?
I'm not 100% sure and I have nothing to cite, but IMO, itmay be the same reason why we now haveCDL's. It would eliminate (mostly) the possiblity of alicense/permit holder whowas suspended/revoked to obtain another license/permit from another state to carry here.

M

McX

imported post

SO they don't accept FLA. non-res. CC? We have OC in WIsconsin, if you don't mind peeling cops off of you. Not an enlightened society here yet.

Michigander

imported post

McX wrote:
SO they don't accept FLA. non-res. CC? We have OC in WIsconsin, if you don't mind peeling cops off of you. Not an enlightened society here yet.

My record in Michigan is 7 cops for lawful, warrantless and suspicionless OCing on my own. So I'd say we're still close to Wisconsin for bad police encounters. But I'd like to think that the situation is improving by the day.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

McX wrote:

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
Lots of deleted stuff pertaining to a michigan resident.go here for the entire statute.http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(utyiik452hnel0n1kgr5pijt))/mileg.aspx?page=home

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

(10) The licensing authority may require a person claiming active duty status with the United States armed forces to provide proof of 1 or both of the following:

(a) The person's home of record.

(b) Permanent active duty assignment in this state.

(11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing that pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(e) The owner of the pistol is physically present.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

(13) The licensing authority shall provide a basic pistol safety brochure to each applicant for a license under this section before the applicant answers the basic pistol safety review questionnaire. A basic pistol safety brochure shall contain, but is not limited to providing, information on all of the following subjects:

(a) Rules for safe handling and use of pistols.

(b) Safe storage of pistols.

(c) Nomenclature and description of various types of pistols.

(d) The responsibilities of owning a pistol.

(14) The basic pistol safety brochure shall be supplied in addition to the safety pamphlet required by section 9b.

(15) The basic pistol safety brochure required in subsection (13) shall be produced by a national nonprofit membership organization that provides voluntary pistol safety programs that include training individuals in the safe handling and use of pistols.

(16) A person who forges any matter on an application for a license under this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(17) A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (4).

History: 1927, Act 372, Eff. Sept. 5, 1927 ;-- CL 1929, 16750 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 333, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1931 ;-- Am. 1941, Act 112, Imd. Eff. May 21, 1941 ;-- Am. 1943, Act 51, Imd. Eff. Mar. 30, 1943 ;-- CL 1948, 28.422 ;-- Am. 1949, Act 170, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 259, Eff. Sept. 27, 1957 ;-- Am. 1964, Act 216, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 1967, Act 158, Eff. Nov. 2, 1967 ;-- Am. 1968, Act 301, Eff. Nov. 15, 1968 ;-- Am. 1972, Act 15, Imd. Eff. Feb. 19, 1972 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 161, Eff. Aug. 1, 1986 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 320, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 219, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 220, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 338, Eff. Apr. 1, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 101, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2004 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 195, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 406, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 2009
Constitutionality: The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Michigander wrote:
McX wrote:

My record in Michigan is 7 cops for lawful, warrantless and suspicionless OCing on my own. So I'd say we're still close to Wisconsin for bad police encounters. But I'd like to think that the situation is improving by the day.
That was a fun day, wasn't it? As crappy as it is to be surrounded by 7 unfriendlies, the result was sweeping changes in their awareness and handling of open carry. A fantastic result that indicates that you are right, things are improving, and it is largely due to this crowd.

protias

imported post

Venator wrote:
McX wrote:

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
Lots of deleted stuff pertaining to a michigan resident.go here for the entire statute.http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(utyiik452hnel0n1kgr5pijt))/mileg.aspx?page=home

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

(10) The licensing authority may require a person claiming active duty status with the United States armed forces to provide proof of 1 or both of the following:

(11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

(13) The licensing authority shall provide a basic pistol safety brochure to each applicant for a license under this section before the applicant answers the basic pistol safety review questionnaire. A basic pistol safety brochure shall contain, but is not limited to providing, information on all of the following subjects:

(14) The basic pistol safety brochure shall be supplied in addition to the safety pamphlet required by section 9b.

(15) The basic pistol safety brochure required in subsection (13) shall be produced by a national nonprofit membership organization that provides voluntary pistol safety programs that include training individuals in the safe handling and use of pistols.

(16) A person who forges any matter on an application for a license under this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(17) A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (4).

History: 1927, Act 372, Eff. Sept. 5, 1927 ;-- CL 1929, 16750 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 333, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1931 ;-- Am. 1941, Act 112, Imd. Eff. May 21, 1941 ;-- Am. 1943, Act 51, Imd. Eff. Mar. 30, 1943 ;-- CL 1948, 28.422 ;-- Am. 1949, Act 170, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 259, Eff. Sept. 27, 1957 ;-- Am. 1964, Act 216, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 1967, Act 158, Eff. Nov. 2, 1967 ;-- Am. 1968, Act 301, Eff. Nov. 15, 1968 ;-- Am. 1972, Act 15, Imd. Eff. Feb. 19, 1972 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 161, Eff. Aug. 1, 1986 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 320, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 219, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 220, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 338, Eff. Apr. 1, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 101, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2004 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 195, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 406, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 2009
Constitutionality: The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.

So then I would be able to carry?

Venator

imported post

protias wrote:
Venator wrote:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol. Do you have any of these in Wisconsin? if so that's one.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a). Do you have the License on your person in Michigan? If so that's two

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports. Proof of ownership? if so that'sthree.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a. Not commiting any crimes while carrying? If no then that's 4.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state. Staying less than 180? If so that five.

If you meet ALL the requirments of a) throughe) above, then yes.

protias

imported post

Venator wrote:
protias wrote:
Venator wrote:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol. Do you have any of these in Wisconsin? if so that's one.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a). Do you have the License on your person in Michigan? If so that's two

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports. Proof of ownership? if so that'sthree.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a. Not commiting any crimes while carrying? If no then that's 4.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state. Staying less than 180? If so that five.

We do not register our firearms in WI, not sure if you guys there do or not, so I'm not sure about A. For B, I take it you just need to have a CCW permit on you, correct? Then C, do I need to have my receipt of purchase, or do they just run the serial, or how do police there react to firearms? I've only been perusing through the Michigan threads and haven't been real active, so I've seen both good and bad encounters.

Venator

imported post

protias wrote:
Venator wrote:
protias wrote:
Venator wrote:

We do not register our firearms in WI, not sure if you guys there do or not, so I'm not sure about A. For B, I take it you just need to have a CCW permit on you, correct? Then C, do I need to have my receipt of purchase, or do they just run the serial, or how do police there react to firearms? I've only been perusing through the Michigan threads and haven't been real active, so I've seen both good and bad encounters.

From past discussions with residents of Wisconsin it was concluded they COULD NOT bring a handgun to Michigan and carry it.

You don't have a registration (License) for the handgun issued by your state, you don't have a valid CPL (It has to be from your own state.) so right there you don't qualify.

This is a real violation of federal law and a suit should be brought against the state of Michigan, or the law is changed, until then you are out of luck.

protias

imported post

Thank you for the clarification Venator. If I had the money, I would first fix our laws in WI, then try to do something for those IL people. In all actuality, a suit brought to the federal government would fix all our laws, but we know how so many people pander to "feelings" instead of rights.