Thread: Un-Register.....?

Post imported post

One of my Marine Buds was talking about coming out here and selling me some of his "collection", but of course they are all registered to him in California. Can he simply Un-Regester the firearms? I dont want to regester anything in my name...If I buy these must I have the registration transfered?? Ive heard conflicting info from the gunshops so I wanted to see what the popular oppinion was.

Post imported post

IANAL but generally, all firearms sales across state lines must go through a FFL holder (interstate sales) The requirements for private (intrastate sales) vary from state to state. Also, the requirements may be different if we're talking handguns or rifles. Since there is no registration in AZ, if your friend moves to AZ (becomes an AZ resident), taking his "collection" with him, and then sells them to you, you'll be fine.

Post imported post

INAL, Before I became a resident of AZ, I spent 5 months in a house I owned in AZ and 7 months in NY. While in AZ I purchased a handgun, took it to NY on my next trip and had it put on my NY CCW at the County Office.

When I moved to AZ and became a resident I took all my handguns that were on my NY CCW and brought them to AZ. I did not un-register them, nor did I report them as being in AZ.

Of course this was all before I lost all my firearms when the Titanic sunk.

:celebrate

Post imported post

Yeah... 'gotta do the xfer thru an FFL for any out-of-staters.'Might cost a buck or so for the middle-man paperwork, but you'll be 'legal'. Most any gunshop will do that.Dunno if you're still in the Corps or not... but is AZ your present home of record? If not... there may be a problem. IANAL

Post imported post

Now this "Transfer" - would that simply mean the posession of.....or does that include all that REGESTERED BS? That is what Im trying to avoid, my name linked to some evil roster of guns....

Post imported post

Mahan0331 wrote:
    Now this "Transfer" - would that simply mean the posession of.....or does that include all that REGESTERED BS? That is what Im trying to avoid, my name linked to some evil roster of guns....
    Where do you live?

If the guns aren't in evil California, they aren't regulated by any evil law of evil California. Including evil California's evil registration scheme.

(evil)
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Your friend can sell them to you and then fill out a CA DOJ form stating he is no longer in possession of the firearms. That will take them out of his name.

Post imported post

...well he will need to fill out the No Longer In Possession form w California - and you must give a name and address of who the firearm was sold to

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

- and Isnt that then"Regerstering" the firearmin my name? Ist that a nation wide List...not just a CA list? I dont think Im understanding how gun registration works.

Post imported post

Mahan0331 wrote:
    I dont think Im understanding how gun registration works.
    Who does?

I don't now CA law. But once the gun goes to an Out Of State FFL, CA law no longer applies. It seems that you are asking how to own guns that come from CA, without endangering the unfortunate seller who is subject to the evils of CA, and without getting yourself tied into the same evils.

I'd say handle it like a sale. You'll still be on the 4473 of your Local Gun Dealer. But, if your friend in CA sells them to a dealer in AZ, and then you buy them from the dealer (which, I believe is how the State to State transfer is made to look anyway), then he reports the Out Of State FFL as the new owner (if reporting the new owner is required), not you. Then, you just fill out the 4473 and they're yours.

An interesting premise for CA trying to extend it's authority beyond it's state lines into the lives of citizens of other states.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

OK - I think I got it. Thanks guys