• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brother got a gun pulled on him today for..

Tony Santiago

imported post

My brother is a contractor for Qwest. He basically goes around and collects customers products who are very delinquent on their bill. He gets a cut for every piece of Qwest equipment that he brings back. I think it's $10.00 per box, and $20.00 per satellite or something like that. Anyway, he went to this one guys house today, and went on his front patio to disconnect and take his satellite, and suddenly the home owner comes out with a M1 Garand and told him to get the hell out of there if he knows what's best. He left.. and told the company. I'm not sure what is going to happen from here on out.

Hammer

imported post

Seems like a fairly high risk job to me.
Basically, you go on someone's private property, don't announce who you are or your purpose for being there, have no sworn deputy or "peacekeeper" there, and start disassembling and taking something someone else at least thinks is their own.
I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten a gun pulled on him a lot more.
Worst of it is, someone may decide to use their gun. In that case, $10 or $20 will seem a paltry pay for risking your life.

I should add that I'm not trying to say who's right or wrong, just that it doesn't seem like any amount of Quest equipment is worth dying for.....

Logan80

imported post

I work for a propane company that leases tanks and fills on site. I have to "repo" tanks fairly often due to delinquent accounts. I've had people be pretty upset, but none that took it THAT far. It seems that most of the repos are at bank owned houses lately, the owners have already lost them and moved on.

Bobarino

imported post

i used to work for Washington Natural Gas (before it became PSE) on the street crew. digging ditches, jackhammering up the streets to fix leaks etc. i sprained my ankle and got put on light duty for a week. i got stuck with painting meters on peoples' houses. they ran out of company vehicles so i had to use my own car. my area was west of Pacific ave between 72nd and 38th in Tacoma as well as Salishan. i never had a homeowner come out and greet me with a gun but several of the residents called the cops on me thinking i was a burgler. i got held at gunpoint by Tacoma's finest a few times until they verfied ID and called my boss and so on. it's quite disconerting when stuff like that happens. can't say that i blame the people that called and they were all handled very professionally. however, i don't ever want to look down the business end of a gun again.

Bobby

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Bobarino wrote:
i used to work for Washington Natural Gas (before it became PSE) on the street crew. digging ditches, jackhammering up the streets to fix leaks etc. i sprained my ankle and got put on light duty for a week. i got stuck with painting meters on peoples' houses. they ran out of company vehicles so i had to use my own car. my area was west of Pacific ave between 72nd and 38th in Tacoma as well as Salishan. i never had a homeowner come out and greet me with a gun but several of the residents called the cops on me thinking i was a burgler. i got held at gunpoint by Tacoma's finest a few times until they verfied ID and called my boss and so on. it's quite disconerting when stuff like that happens. can't say that i blame the people that called and they were all handled very professionally. however, i don't ever want to look down the business end of a gun again.

Bobby
Yeah, let's draw down on a guy with either a paint can in one hand and a brush in the other, or a can of spraypaint.

Tacoma's finest examples of how NOT to use guns.

PolskiG

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
home owner comes out with a M1 Garand and told him to get the hell out of there if he knows what's best. .He left.. and told the company.
I would of done the same thing if someone was on my property doingthat, of course i never had anything repo'd since I only use cash to buy things. As for your brother, hes a wuss for telling the company, he should of been like, "damn I better not mess with that guy again" and moved on.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

He didn't happen to say, "Get off my lawn" did he? :)
m1gunr
m1gunr
m1gunr

Aaron1124

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
and suddenly the home owner comes out with a M1 Garand and told him to get the hell out of there if he knows what's best.
I certainly would not have handled the situation that way. It would have to be a .45 in my hand. The only rifle I have is a 10/22 thanks to the STBX-wife.
LOL

David.Car

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Tony Santiago wrote:
and suddenly the home owner comes out with a M1 Garand and told him to get the hell out of there if he knows what's best.
I certainly would not have handled the situation that way. It would have to be a .45 in my hand. The only rifle I have is a 10/22 thanks to the STBX-wife.
LOL
It's not funny!

It is a SWEEEEET 10/22, though. Kidd two stage trigger set to 1.5lbs first stage and 8 oz. second stage, smooth as melted butter!

Gawd I hope she isn't reading this, she'll want to claim it too.
You are absolutely correct. Only having one rifle is not funny! That is serious. You have got to get on that and correct the situation :p

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
My brother is a contractor for Qwest. He basically goes around and collects customers products who are very delinquent on their bill. He gets a cut for every piece of Qwest equipment that he brings back. I think it's $10.00 per box, and $20.00 per satellite or something like that. Anyway, he went to this one guys house today, and went on his front patio to disconnect and take his satellite, and suddenly the home owner comes out with a M1 Garand and told him to get the hell out of there if he knows what's best. He left.. and told the company. I'm not sure what is going to happen from here on out.

Does your brother wear clothing indicating he works for Qwest?

Picture ID?

If he does, I gotta question the behavior of the goof with the Garand....