• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho people w/ WA CCP going through Utah, Nevada and AZ.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

We are Idaho residents and have Washington License to Carry Concealed Pistol. We will be pulling our travel trailer through Utah/Nevada (I84 & I15) and wintering in Arizona, most likely around the Quartzsite area. I understand that Utah and Arizona both honor Washington CCP's and Nevada will honor it if you are passing through. Is this correct?

Anything we need to be aware of regarding OC or CC? Any communities that are less hospitable to OC than others? While traveling, we usually have a loaded gun with extra ammo in the non-locking center console, any problem with that in these states? Do we have to inform the officer if we are pulled over in any of these states?

I know that OC is usually a NO NO on Reservations, any other areas that we need to know about? In Idaho we can carry anywhere but Federal Facilities, Jails, K-12 Schools and Courthouses, what would be different in these states?

I am posting this on the boards of all three states to get the best response.

Anybody living along our loosely planned route that would like a visit from a couple of fellow OCers? We're towing a 29 foot travel trailer and taking our sweet time getting anywhere.:)

LoveMyCountry
http://www.reachtheworld.net

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Utah honors a permit from any State, so you are good there.

The permit allows you to keep your firearms loaded in or out of your vehicle as well.

You do not need to inform law enforcement in Utah.

Utah is open carry friendly. I can't recall any specific cities or towns that harass more than others.

Utah is fully pre-empted, so no need to worry about local ordinances.

Your permit also exempts you from Utah's "Gun Free School Zones", so carry on! :celebrate

Your out of State permit will not exempt you from the Federal K-12 "Gun Free School Zones, so be aware of that.

"No Guns" signs carry no legal weight in Utah, and there are very few places that are off limits.

Federal buildings, secured areas of courthouses, jails, mental facilities... the places you probably aren't going anyways.

LDS houses of worship are also off limits, but other churches should be OK. Just look for signs.

I live just one minute from I-15 in Utah County, so feel free to stop by and buy me a burger. ;)

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just wanted to add that Midvale City recently cited two people who were OC'ing for carrying a loaded weapon in public. One had a permit exempting him from the loaded in public law and one was carrying "Utah unloaded" exempting him from the loaded in public law.
So beware if you OC in Midvale City until this is resolved. (I won't stop OC'ing, but just in case you don't want to deal with an out of state hassle).

Feel free to PM me if you plan on stopping around Midvale, Cottonwood Heights area.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Will do! I am trying to figure out how to get to the 5th of November OC dinner at Fudruckers (?) in Sandy as it sounds like a fun time. We will be leaving Bruneau Dunes State Park near Mountain Home, ID on the 3rd so it will be a bit of a drive and finding places to park for the night is always fun. Walmart parking lot here we come.:p

LoveMyCountry
www.reachtheworld.net

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Wow! We hit SLC I-15 with construction during rush-hour while towing a travel trailer. Aaagh! We spent the night in a church parking lot one block from the freeway - not what this small town boy is used to.

Anybody have about fifty feet of curb we could park at till Friday AM?

Back on topic. We got in town just in time to go and serve at the Rescue Mission downtown. We were really blessed to serve there (especially our eight year old daughter) and totally spaced the fact that we were unarmed until I was helping to take out the trash when a psycho (from outside the Mission) decided that he wanted to fight. Fortunately he went for the big guy from the Mission instead of me. The situation resolved itself with just words but it reminded me that badguys don't wait for you to get ready and literally appear out of nowhere.

LoveMyCountry
www.reachtheworld.net

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Anybody have about fifty feet of curb we could park at till Friday AM?
What area of Salt Lake County are you looking to stay in? You still coming to Fuddruckers tomorrow night?

Hope to see you there! :celebrate

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Don't have clue. We would like to go to the Living Planet aquarium and the OC dinner, other than that we know nothing about the area. I do know that our little girl is going through kid-withdrawl and may take hostages if she doesn't get somebody to play with. :)

If anybody would like to play host to our weary travelers (we ask nothing but friendly conversation and a place to park) please let us know.

Rich, Ashlee and Hannah Lindquist
Cell 208-597-3995

LoveMyCountry
www.reachtheworld.net

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
If anybody would like to play host to our weary travelers (we ask nothing but friendly conversation and a place to park) please let us know.
Our driveway is your driveway. See you tonight!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
Our driveway is your driveway.  See you tonight! 

We want to give a big THANK YOU to Sgt. Jensen, packingmama and their little ones for making us feel so welcome! You brought us not just into your driveway, but into your home and family as well. Thank you for being our brand new " old friends".

LoveMyCountry

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
We want to give a big THANK YOU to Sgt. Jensen, packingmama and their little ones for making us feel so welcome! You brought us not just into your driveway, but into your home and family as well. Thank you for being our brand new " old friends".

LoveMyCountry
It was our pleasure. Thanks for stopping by on your journey, and make sure to look us up on your way back next year.

Drive safe, and have a great adventure! :celebrate

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:

LoveMyCountry
It was our pleasure. Thanks for stopping by on your journey, and make sure to look us up on your way back next year.

Drive safe, and have a great adventure! :celebrate
Your sure welcome, it was good to get to know you. Ditto SGT post above! :D