• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clawson Civil Emergencies Ordinance

PDinDetroit

imported post

It appears that the City of Clawson has a similar "Civil Emergencies Ordinance" like Royal Oak, except with a NO Carry Twist in the Sample Declaration. I have highlighted the areas in BOLD TEXT that appear to be an issue. I welcome input for a day or so prior to sending anything to the City Government.

ARTICLE III. CIVIL EMERGENCIES
Sec. 26-74. Orders restricting certain activities. The mayor or his lawful designee, proclaiming a civil emergency in the interest of public safety and welfare, may also make any of the following orders:
(7) The discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing or giving away of any firearms, ammunition, explosives or other dangerous weapons of any character whatsoever;
(8) The closing of any or all establishments or portions of establishments, the chief activity of which is the sale, distribution, dispensing or giving away of firearms, ammunition, explosives or other dangerous weapons;
Sec. 26-77. Sample proclamation. The following is a sample proclamation for use under this article: PROCLAMATION I, ________________, Mayor of the City of Clawson, do hereby proclaim that a state of civil emergency exists within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson because of the rioting, disturbances, and the destruction of both public and private property which have occurred in our adjacent communities, and which lawless activity has suddenly and rapidly increased to the extent that it appears that a riot is imminent within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson, evidenced by the public disorder which occurred at ________ hour _________.m., Eastern Standard Time, on the ________ day of _________, A.D. 20________, at the Municipal Park of the City of Clawson. I designate all of the public parks and public streets in the City of Clawson to be in the area affected.
Pursuant to the powers granted to me under the Charter of the City of Clawson, section 4.05, as conservator of the peace, and the Code of Ordinances of the City of Clawson, section 26-71 et seq., I hereby proclaim the following orders, rules, and regulations to be effective as of the ________ day of _________, A.D. 20________, and continue in effect until I declare that a state of emergency no longer exists:
CURFEW
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED, effective forthwith and until further order, that no person, except duly authorized law enforcement officers, shall be, or shall be allowed to be, in or upon the public streets, thoroughfares or highways of the City of Clawson, or the public parks of said city, between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., Eastern Standard Time, provided that this order shall not apply to persons directly proceeding to and from their homes and places of employment, nor to doctors, nurses, ambulance personnel, and clerics on emergency calls; and
CONGREGATING IN PUBLIC PLACES
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that no persons shall congregate within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson at any time for any purpose; and
POSSESSION OF OBJECTS OF DESTRUCTION
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that no person shall carry, at any time, any firearm, explosive, incendiary device, rock, stick, bottle, missile, or other object which can be used for the unlawful destruction of property; and
PENALTY FOR VIOLATION
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that, pursuant to section 1-7 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Clawson, any violation of such provisions shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding $500.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court; and
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that copies of this order be forthwith posted in three conspicuous public places in the City of Clawson, and transmitted to newspapers of general circulation in the area, and notice thereof be forthwith given to members of the city council of the City of Clawson and to the governor of the State of Michigan
Analysis: MI 1990 Preemption Law "trumps" this ordinance, it should be repealed.

eastmeyers

imported post

Well seeing as how, my Grandparents are from Clawson, my Parents, my Girlfriend, her family, and me. Also where I Graduated, and all of my family and most friends graduated, this kinda PO's me! LOL! Seriously, this needs to be changed. I will be at any council meeting if need be. I have a few buddys at the PD, if it carries any weight, but I dobt it will.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Email sent, see below for text of email.

Mark Pollock, Interim City Manager
City of Clawson, MI

Dear Mark Pollock:

In looking through the Clawson City Ordinances, I discovered the "Civil Emergencies" Ordinance (ARTICLE III, Sec. 26-74 and Sec. 26-77) covering firearm and ammunition sales/distribution during times of Declared Civil Emergencies. Under the 1990 state preemption law, this ordinance is unenforceable in regards to firearm and ammunition carry/sales/distribution and is misleading to the people of Clawson and other citizens. I am requesting you amend this unlawful ordinance within 90 days. Failure to amend these ordinances would be considered an act of malfeasance, as it willfully misinforms the public of what is and is not allowed in the City of Clawson.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

PDinDetroit

CITY ORDINANCE IN QUESTION (text in question listed in bold):

ARTICLE III. CIVIL EMERGENCIES
Sec. 26-74. Orders restricting certain activities. The mayor or his lawful designee, proclaiming a civil emergency in the interest of public safety and welfare, may also make any of the following orders:
(7) The discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing or giving away of any firearms, ammunition, explosives or other dangerous weapons of any character whatsoever;
(8) The closing of any or all establishments or portions of establishments, the chief activity of which is the sale, distribution, dispensing or giving away of firearms, ammunition, explosives or other dangerous weapons;
Sec. 26-77. Sample proclamation. The following is a sample proclamation for use under this article: PROCLAMATION I, ________________, Mayor of the City of Clawson, do hereby proclaim that a state of civil emergency exists within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson because of the rioting, disturbances, and the destruction of both public and private property which have occurred in our adjacent communities, and which lawless activity has suddenly and rapidly increased to the extent that it appears that a riot is imminent within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson, evidenced by the public disorder which occurred at ________ hour _________.m., Eastern Standard Time, on the ________ day of _________, A.D. 20________, at the Municipal Park of the City of Clawson. I designate all of the public parks and public streets in the City of Clawson to be in the area affected.
Pursuant to the powers granted to me under the Charter of the City of Clawson, section 4.05, as conservator of the peace, and the Code of Ordinances of the City of Clawson, section 26-71 et seq., I hereby proclaim the following orders, rules, and regulations to be effective as of the ________ day of _________, A.D. 20________, and continue in effect until I declare that a state of emergency no longer exists:
CURFEW
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED, effective forthwith and until further order, that no person, except duly authorized law enforcement officers, shall be, or shall be allowed to be, in or upon the public streets, thoroughfares or highways of the City of Clawson, or the public parks of said city, between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., Eastern Standard Time, provided that this order shall not apply to persons directly proceeding to and from their homes and places of employment, nor to doctors, nurses, ambulance personnel, and clerics on emergency calls; and
CONGREGATING IN PUBLIC PLACES
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that no persons shall congregate within the corporate limits of the City of Clawson at any time for any purpose; and
POSSESSION OF OBJECTS OF DESTRUCTION
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that no person shall carry, at any time, any firearm, explosive, incendiary device, rock, stick, bottle, missile, or other object which can be used for the unlawful destruction of property; and
PENALTY FOR VIOLATION
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that, pursuant to section 1-7 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Clawson, any violation of such provisions shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding $500.00 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the court; and
IT IS HEREBY FURTHER ORDERED that copies of this order be forthwith posted in three conspicuous public places in the City of Clawson, and transmitted to newspapers of general circulation in the area, and notice thereof be forthwith given to members of the city council of the City of Clawson and to the governor of the State of Michigan

REFERENCE INFORMATION:

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

EMERGENCY POWERS OF GOVERNOR (EXCERPT)
Act 302 of 1945

10.31 Proclamation of state of emergency; promulgation of orders, rules, and regulations; seizure of firearms, ammunition, or other weapons.

Sec. 1.

(1) During times of great public crisis, disaster, rioting, catastrophe, or similar public emergency within the state, or reasonable apprehension of immediate danger of a public emergency of that kind, when public safety is imperiled, either upon application of the mayor of a city, sheriff of a county, or the commissioner of the Michigan state police or upon his or her own volition, the governor may proclaim a state of emergency and designate the area involved. After making the proclamation or declaration, the governor may promulgate reasonable orders, rules, and regulations as he or she considers necessary to protect life and property or to bring the emergency situation within the affected area under control. Those orders, rules, and regulations may include, but are not limited to, providing for the control of traffic, including public and private transportation, within the area or any section of the area; designation of specific zones within the area in which occupancy and use of buildings and ingress and egress of persons and vehicles may be prohibited or regulated; control of places of amusement and assembly and of persons on public streets and thoroughfares; establishment of a curfew; control of the sale, transportation, and use of alcoholic beverages and liquors; and control of the storage, use, and transportation of explosives or inflammable materials or liquids deemed to be dangerous to public safety.

(2) The orders, rules, and regulations promulgated under subsection (1) are effective from the date and in the manner prescribed in the orders, rules, and regulations and shall be made public as provided in the orders, rules, and regulations. The orders, rules, and regulations may be amended, modified, or rescinded, in the manner in which they were promulgated, from time to time by the governor during the pendency of the emergency, but shall cease to be in effect upon declaration by the governor that the emergency no longer exists.

(3) Subsection (1) does not authorize the seizure, taking, or confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms, ammunition, or other weapons.

History: 1945, Act 302, Imd. Eff. May 25, 1945 ;-- CL 1948, 10.31 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 546, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 2006

THE MICHIGAN APPEALS COURT CONCLUDED:
April 29, 2003 9:10 am. v No. 242237 MCGRO vs Ferndale.

In sum, we conclude that § 1102 is a statute that specifically imposes a prohibition on local units of government from enacting and enforcing any ordinances or regulations pertaining to the transportation and possession of firearms, and thus preempts any ordinance or regulation of a local unit of government concerning these areas.

Further, we conclude that the specific language of the 2000 amendments to MCL 28.421 et seq., particularly §§ 5c and 5o, which were adopted more than a decade after the enactment of § 1102, do not repeal § 1102 or otherwise reopen this area to local regulation of the carrying of firearms.17 Accordingly, we hold that the Ferndale ordinance is preempted by state law and, consequently, we reverse.

conservative85

imported post

I like this section

Are there safe weapons?
It does not say anything about lending or borrowing guns and ammo!

PDinDetroit

imported post

Update - Response Received:

Mr. PDinDetroit,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our City Attorney will investigate your inquiry and we will inform you about his findings on this ordianance as soon as he completes his review.

Thanks again,
Mark W. Pollock
Acting City Manager/Finance Director
City of Clawson

My Response:

Mark -

Thank you for the prompt response.

I was looking into local ordinances after obtaining my Concealed Pistol License to make sure that I had "all the bases" covered. Interestingly enough, Clawson, Royal Oak, and Troy all have very similar Civil Emergencies ordinances. Royal Oak is currently aware of the issue and looking into it as well. I have yet to contact Troy about their ordinance.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

- PDinDetroit

Recoil88

imported post

So in case of a riot or natural disaster they just want the police to be armed because they can protect everything and everyone. Yeah right!

B

Bikenut

imported post

Thanks PDinDetroit.. I had not thought of looking for illegal ordinances regarding civil emergencies.....

kryptonian

imported post

thanks for getting on that guys. needs to be repealed. just can't help but think IF there were a qualifying emergency (find out if there has ever even been one) and IF this law was imposed and IF you just happen to be OC in clawson i would think the police would be kind of busy to be stopping you and IF arrested it would be easily dismissed. lot of IFs.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Thanks PDinDetroit.. I had not thought of looking for illegal ordinances regarding civil emergencies.....

Did you hear about North Carolina a few months back, banned all guns after a snowstorm due to civil emergency being declared?

PDinDetroit

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
I just searched local city ordinances on the term "firearm". It revealed the issue.

I am not sure what happened to the Royal Oak Civil Emergencies Thread, but I have requested an update from them as well.

Next up, Troy! (All three cities have this same ordinance).

PDinDetroit

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
Did you hear about North Carolina a few months back, banned all guns after a snowstorm due to civil emergency being declared?
Yes, you mean this one?

http://www.redstate.com/wayneinnh/2010/02/08/north-carolina-town-suspends-constitutional-rights-due-to-snow-storm/

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=1178

They banned the sale of guns and ammo, and possession off your own property.

MI has no law like this!

eastmeyers

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
I just searched local city ordinances on the term "firearm". It revealed the issue.

I am not sure what happened to the Royal Oak Civil Emergencies Thread, but I have requested an update from them as well.

Next up, Troy! (All three cities have this same ordinance).

Here is your Roayl Oak one

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27892&forum_id=30&highlight=ordinance+michigan+PDindetroit

Here is your Troy one

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=33364&forum_id=30&highlight=ordinance+michigan+PDindetroit

God Bless you and your Paul

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
I like this section

Are there safe weapons?
It does not say anything about lending or borrowing guns and ammo!
So, you're back!;)