• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Dinner

Rich B

imported post

In my (limited) spare time, I have put together what I think is a good idea to handle what I feel is a need in the movement in CT (and other states) for open carry.

The issue so far that I can see with open carry and 2nd amendment rights advocacy in general is that people are concerned about practicing their rights when they are worried about harassment by police.

It seems that we have a unique and powerful asset on this forum. We have many people from all over and from many different walks of life. We have people who are confident of open carry in CT, and we have people who would like to be, and furthermore, they would like to help the cause.

The question that I have had in my mind is "How do we get the people who want to help to be confident enough to actually help?

Fortunately, I just happen to be one of the people who is concerned, but wants to help. Therefore, the answer came easily to me.

I think it would be nice if the people who were confident and practiced about exercising their rights could get together and teach the new people and bolster their confidence. The other big objective is to educate the public and the local LEOs and make it known that there is no reason for alarm when a law abiding citizen is carrying a firearm.

To this end I have created a web application with the goal of organizing these people into groups who can host and attend dinners (and other meals) and get together peaceably to discuss and exercise their rights.

I just finished most of the basic functionality, but the site can definitely use more work. I am hoping by making it known to this forum, I can get feedback and ideas so we can make this is a successful venture. Any and all feedback is welcome and encouraged.

The application is set up to allow meals hosted anywhere in the US, so if this works for us in CT, it should work well for any other state with similar needs. I have seeded the application with two dinners in CT that are tests at the moment for the purpose of demonstration.

The site is currently at the temporary address:

http://opencarry.subtlehustle.com/

And that brings me to my first major question. What should I name it?

My first thought was "Open Carry Dinner" @ http://opencarrydinner.com.
I am less sure of this name though, and I would like some input.

Feel free to enter/edit/delete dinners and make accounts as you wish, and please provide any feedback you may have while this is in the test phase.

Thanks.

gluegun

imported post

Site looks good. Interface is quite clean.

Couple of things I noticed:
Searching "pizza" first returns locations in Italy. That's great, but I'm nowhere near Italy so it's not that helpful. Maybe using geo targeting to get events/places a little closer to the visitor's location.

The phone number looks a little crowded with all the parentheses on the event page: aname ((203) 555-1212)
Perhaps change the output to: aname - (203) 555-1212 or aname (203-555-1212)

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Searching "pizza" first returns locations in Italy. That's great, but I'm nowhere near Italy so it's not that helpful. Maybe using geo targeting to get events/places a little closer to the visitor's location.

That is a good idea, and something I will look into, but the purpose of the search is to tell it where you are looking, not what you want to eat. It would be nice if it could also search the events, not just the location though.

IE: Entering 'CT' or 'Connecticut' should give you a map of CT and all the events happening within CT. Searching your zip code should give you similar results, but more localized to your section of the state (more detailed when there are more events happening).

gluegun wrote:
The phone number looks a little crowded with all the parentheses on the event page: aname ((203) 555-1212)
Perhaps change the output to: aname - (203) 555-1212  or aname (203-555-1212)

The phone number right now has no validation of format, and it is displayed exactly as it is entered. I agree it is cluttered, I just need to decide if I really want to constrain what people enter or format it better on output. Should be changed one way or the other today.

Thanks for the input.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I have signed up on the site and bookmarked it!

Bertuccis on the 7th is out for me..I have a prior commitment.

Peppes on the 14th has potential

Rich B

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:

Remember, the data currently on the site is just test data.

Although, I have to say I have no problem actually attending those if people seriously RSVP for them, I didn't think anyone would be this quick to want to attend.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Lenny Benedetto wrote:

Remember, the data currently on the site is just test data.

Although, I have to say I have no problem actually attending those if people seriously RSVP for them, I didn't think anyone would be this quick to want to attend.
I think that it would be great to get some pointers from people who OC all the time...Oh wait I do that already...LOL!!
AND I am hungry! So let me know when this goes live. If I am free I will be there!!

Lenny

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Another thought, perhaps a way to "un-RSVP." Something might have come up and I can no longer attend. :)
A good idea, this is in the queue of improvements.

Although I can never imagine someone turning down guns, food and drink!

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
I can think of at least a few cases where the company of a good woman would take precedence... :)
That is blasphemy! She should be strapping on her firearm and joining you. That 'company' is much better enjoyed after a nice night out!

GoldCoaster

imported post

Rich B wrote:
gluegun wrote:
I can think of at least a few cases where the company of a good woman would take precedence... :)
That is blasphemy! She should be strapping on her firearm and joining you. That 'company' is much better enjoyed after a nice night out!
Unless your worried she'd be more impressed with our "guns" ?:celebrate

Rich B

imported post

One of my biggest decisions and issues right now is trying to determine a name/domain name for the site.

Here are some of my ideas so far:

opencarrydinner.com
eatyourrights.com
carryyourrights.com
secondamendmentmeal.com
gunsandgrub.com
gunchow.com

Which one would you favor? Any other suggestions?

Rich B

imported post

gluegun wrote:
why restrict the use of the site to open carry?

That is exactly what I had been thinking.

Originally, I had decided on Open Carry Dinner, but I have been rethinking this. One of the things I have in my list of changes I am working on is to make an option for each hosted dinner:

• Open carry
    Concealed carry
    No carry

That way the host can convey what kind of event it is.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

gluegun wrote:
I like secondamendmentmeal. I know it's geared towards open carry, but why restrict the use of the site to open carry?

I like gunsandgrub...just cause it sounds like a couple of my favorite things tied together. LOL!!!