• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LaserMax?

smash29

imported post

Just wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with LaserMax lasers. Now that I've built up a bit of a handgun collection I'm turning my attention and (non) disposable income towards accessories such as lights and/or lasers and the LaserMax set-up would seem to simplify carry by allowing me to continue using my current holsters.

Opinions andexperiences as well as any other options would be most welcome...

Wangmuf

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with LaserMax lasers. Now that I've built up a bit of a handgun collection I'm turning my attention and (non) disposable income towards accessories such as lights and/or lasers and the LaserMax set-up would seem to simplify carry by allowing me to continue using my current holsters.

What kinda pistol? They offered a guide rod assembly setup for my old XD9SC, but I decided not to get it, as I didn't want a laser that was a part of a moving assembly.

Crimson Trace makes grip lasers for a variety of popular handguns that don't necessitate a new holster.

smash29

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
smash29 wrote:

What kinda pistol? They offered a guide rod assembly setup for my old XD9SC, but I decided not to get it, as I didn't want a laser that was a part of a moving assembly.

Crimson Trace makes grip lasers for a variety of popular handguns that don't necessitate a new holster.
It would be for a Glock, either my 19,26, or 38. I haven't seen a CT on a Glock up close butit seems like it adds to the bulk of the pistol for CC.

Yosemite Sam

Family Membership, St. Helen, Michigan, USA
imported post

I have a lazermax on my Glock 36. I love it! Had it for at least 5yrs. now. I also have night sites also. I'm very happy with it, shot at least 200-300 rounds thru it with no problems! Would highly recommend. I carry in serpa II Holster when Ocing or In a Galco Miami shoulder holster while CCing. Just my 2cents.

Yosemite Sam

Family Membership, St. Helen, Michigan, USA
imported post

I have a lazermax on my Glock 36. I love it! Had it for at least 5yrs. now. I also have night sites. I'm very happy with it, shot at least 200-300 rounds thru it with no problems! Would highly recommend. I carry in serpa II Holster when Ocing or In a Galco Miami shoulder holster while CCing. Just my 2cents.

Thundar

imported post

Used a lasermax on my Sig 229. Worked like a champ.

Before you buy a laser, be certain that it will benefit you. I took the laser off of my SIG but kept the crimson laser grip on my S&W 642.

I took the laser off of my SIG (primary gun) because there were some disadvantages to using a laser that IMHO outweighed advantages. YMMV. The 642 is my BUG and helps with my off hand shooting so I kept it.

smash29

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I took the laser off of my SIG (primary gun) because there were some disadvantages to using a laser that IMHO outweighed advantages.
Can you elaborate?

My intent when it comes to a laser is to diagnose/correct/preventissueswith the basics of shooting (sight alignment, trigger pull/flinching, etc.) and to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible ina SD situation. Beyond familiarization, the occasional use to recheck the aforementioned basics, and carryI'm thinking I'll probably still be doing the majority of my practice "non-laser" to prevent an over-dependence on it.

Thundar

imported post

It may help in the beginning,or you may just develop "wrong" habits with the Laser.

1) The aim sight squeeze is very quick after repeated practice. This is the lasers make you lazy argument. Lasers will often produce patterns that show a jerking of the gun. Proper technique and use of iron sights will often give more accurate results.

2) If you are ever out with buddies who also carry, how would you know which red dot is yours?

3) The Laser will often give away any concealment advantage that you may have.

What about night shooting? Night shooting isn't a problem for the most part. Tritium night sights actually make night shooting a joy.

The red dot may actually be a tactical advantage in some situations. A bad guy that sees the red dot on his chest may back down and you would not have to shoot. (My .02 is that when MR. Sig Sauer clears leather the decision to fire has already been made) but you may be different.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use a lasermax internal laser on my Glock 23 and I do love it. I have never been very good with the sights on my gun. I shoot monthly but never seem to be able to get it perfect. Eventually I will drag someone out to the range to show me all the wonderful things I am doing wrong. Until then, I am confident in my ability to utilize the laser sight, although I still practice without it as well, for I trust the guns I use more then any electronic technology ever made, lol.

The internal is not used locally by any police departments, they prefer the grip sensor for turning it on. I typically do practice from the holster shooting and make it a point to consider turning on the laser a part of drawing.

I also believe if I use a weapon to stand a situation down and do not fire, the red dot on their chest would be an amazing reality check for a criminal.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:

What do you mean?

What concealment advantage are you talking about?

If the gun is out....and if the gun is pointed at a target........what concealment advantage is needed? Or desired?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
Thundar wrote:

What do you mean?

If the gun is out....and if the gun is pointed at a target........what concealment advantage is needed? Or desired?

Bwahahahahahaha!!

I think ol' Hanky just revealed more about himself than he might really want.

Night time, Hanky. Low light. Clearing one's house, lets say. Or, at the office or warehouse. In the dark or near dark the light beam leads back to the gun.If there is any dust in the air, that is.

Or, say you are outdoors at night with a light fog or mist in the air.

Eventhe gunner'sown smokeless powder gunsmoke will show the beam.

Its one thing to be unconcerned about a face-to-face encounter with only one bad guy. Its something else to have two bad guys, separated some distance, and your beam from sighting on the first leading the eyes of the secondback to you. Or moving about with a switched on laser, revealing your location to the unlocated bad-guy who you know or suspect is there somewhere.

Even in clear air, the laser source is visible from the front and to some degree angling away--visible as a little red light.

For myself, I am not terribly concerned about giving up a concealment advantage. I think it a somewhat low probability to be in a situation where it is crucial. I figure also that if I am in such a situation, I can always just turn off the laser. Or, more precisely, not turn it on.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Citizen wrote:
HankT wrote:
Thundar wrote:

What do you mean?

Bwahahahahahaha!!

I think ol' Hanky just revealed more about himself than he might really want.

Night time, Hanky. Low light. Clearing one's house, lets say. Or, at the office or warehouse. In the dark or near dark the light beam leads back to the gun.If there is any dust in the air, that is.

Or, say you are outdoors at night with a light fog or mist in the air.

Eventhe gunner'sown smokeless powder gunsmoke will show the beam.

Its one thing to be unconcerned about a face-to-face encounter with only one bad guy. Its something else to have two bad guys, separated some distance, and your beam from sighting on the first leading the eyes of the secondback to you. Or moving about with a switched on laser, revealing your location to the unlocated bad-guy who you know or suspect is there somewhere.

Even in clear air, the laser source is visible from the front and to some degree angling away--visible as a little red light.

For myself, I am not terribly concerned about giving up a concealment advantage. I think it a somewhat low probability to be in a situation where it is crucial. I figure also that if I am in such a situation, I can always just turn off the laser. Or, more precisely, not turn it on.

D'oh!
13.gif

That was the point....

Dreamer

imported post

Thundar wrote:
The LaserMax is a laser system that replaces your guide rod, so it DOES NOT change the external dimensions or profile of the pistol in any way. If you can carry your firearm concealed in it's box-stock configuration, you can carry it with a LaserMax too, because the LaserMax is INSIDE the gun...

They make internal "guide rod" lasers for models from Glock, Springfield XD, Sig, 1911, and Beretta and Taurus. These models do not alter the exterior dimensions or profile of the gun in any way.

LaserMax also makes external laser systems--grip lasers, rail-mounted units, and front handle lasers for tactical long guns.

Check out their website:

http://www.lasermax.com/

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
SNIP D'oh!
13.gif

That was the point....
Nice try, Hanky.

It may have been somebody's point, but it wasn't yours. You didn't say anything about it. In fact, you omitted the entire angle on a second bad guy. And, you omitted the possibility that abad guy is suspected to be present but not yet in sight.

No mention of just leaving the laser off, either.

You simply sent a characteristicly abrasivepost without thinking.