• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Other weapons to OC/CC

mjones

imported post

MudCamper wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
ok since batons are banned, what about other less-lethal weapons. Tazers, stunguns, ormace.
All legal, as well as knives.

I can't find thecitation for my information onit, but if I remember correctly, Mace requires training and a license to carry in CA.

....But, Pepper Spray doesn't; and its FAR more effective anyway...

I can't find anything in CA Law that references Mace except GC 58001 and that's not what I was looking for. I wonder if the law was actually repealed.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

mjones wrote:
MudCamper wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
ok since batons are banned, what about other less-lethal weapons. Tazers, stunguns, or mace.

I can't find the citation for my information on it, but if I remember correctly, Mace requires training and a license to carry in CA.

I can't find anything in CA Law that references Mace except GC 58001 and that's not what I was looking for. I wonder if the law was actually repealed.

It's chemical agents carried & used by security guards and PIs at work. OC/mace/pepper spray/tear gas.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/guardgd.pdf

PC 12403.5

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person holding a license as a private
investigator or private patrol operator issued pursuant to Chapter 11 (commencing with
Section 7500), Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code, or uniformed patrolmen
employees of a private patrol operator, may purchase, possess, or transport any tear gas
weapon, if it is used solely for defensive purposes in the course of the activity for which the
license was issued and if the person has satisfactorily completed a course of instruction
approved by the Department of Consumer Affairs in the use of tear gas.

inbox485

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
Wear a tool belt and open carry a hammer.:D  

When I fly to MO every year, I carry2 golf balls and a pair of socks in my carry on bag...along with a cane.

A nice glass paperweight works well in a sock.

paperwtrb3.jpg

A weighted sock is a billy club.

inbox485

imported post

mjones wrote:
MudCamper wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
ok since batons are banned, what about other less-lethal weapons. Tazers, stunguns, or mace.

I can't find the citation for my information on it, but if I remember correctly, Mace requires training and a license to carry in CA.

No license for Mace/Pepper spray, but there is a per container limit for civies. Either way the stuff might fix a bad attitude (or make it worse), but it is worthless against a dedicated attack. Same for 99% of tasers.

mjones

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
No license for Mace/Pepper spray, but there is a per container limit for civies. Either way the stuff might fix a bad attitude (or make it worse), but it is worthless against a dedicated attack. Same for 99% of tasers.

I've been on the giving end of many less-lethal alternatives including OC and Tasers. I've had them both be innefective.

The one time I was the closest to shooting someone was a guy on PCP that thought OC was a breath mint and actually laughed after multiple taser deployments.

Decoligny

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
yelohamr wrote:

When I fly to MO every year, I carry2 golf balls and a pair of socks in my carry on bag...along with a cane.

paperwtrb3.jpg

It is only a billy if the ball isin the sock.I was replying to a post from a guy who said he carries a couple of golf balls and a sock on board aircraft, implying that he had an improvised weapon. I was saying a glass paperweight would work better.

If a terrorist/lunatic were to attempt to take overa plane, I highly doubt that anyone would be pressing charges onanyone who drops a paperweight into a sock and then uses that "billy" tobeat the terrorist unconscious.

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
It is only a billy if the ball isin the sock.I was replying to a post from a guy who said he carries a couple of golf balls and a sock on board aircraft, implying that he had an improvised weapon. I was saying a glass paperweight would work better.

If a terrorist/lunatic were to attempt to take overa plane, I highly doubt that anyone would be pressing charges onanyone who drops a paperweight into a sock and then uses that "billy" tobeat the terrorist unconscious.
I'd rip an arm off a seat if I had to!

inbox485

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
yelohamr wrote:

paperwtrb3.jpg

Quite right on the ball needing to be in the sock. I mis-read it. I thought he was saying that the golf balls were in the sock rather than with the sock.

In the vein of things you might have available on a plane, mouse balls have a steel core.

inbox485

imported post

mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

I'd rip an arm off a seat if I had to!
I'd bare fist it if I had to, but the way attitudes towards hijackers has changed since 9/11, I doubt he'd be alive by the time I got to him unless I was right next to him to begin with.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

LadyTrojans01 wrote:
California pretty much prohibits persons defending themselves. I can also say that weapons like this are generally outlawed. You can't order one of those, or a sword cane, for example. Gold Knuckles? Forget it. Move to Venus - weapons for self-protection are allowed there, and at other ports in the universe, if you can swing the import tax.

... <<link deleted>>
How sly! Copy/paste word-for-word another person's post (credit to LeadLobber, page 1 of this thread), and then tack on your little URL advertisement on the end.

FYI, having the word "Torjan" in your user name might make people that much less likely to click your link... makes me think your website might contain/spread Trojans to infect computers...

(Hopefully nobody here clicks the link, and hopefully admin will delete the post and ban the IP from further posting.)