• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just got out of warren city council meeting-----2:00a.m.

johnnyd74

imported post

the city ord was repealed:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

city atty. tried to put up a fuss,and he got nothin!!!

i will get the e-mail from councilmen stevens that spells it out and will post here asap!!

also i did video it and will have it posted asap also...just wanted to let you all know,that michigans 3rd largest city took their crappy ord. off the books!!!

so what city is next???

ohh. the signs are gonna be changed at pars and such!

and councilmen stevens is gonna have a talk with police commish dwyer, cause i told him changing the ord. is great but if the police keep harassing, we gained nothing!!

i'll let you know more as soon as i do!!.....................dam that meeting suckd!!!!and was sooooooooooooooooooooooo long!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss:

but score one for us!!:D:D:D:D

Haman J.T.

imported post

I watched it on cable 5. Atty Richards did try to say one was a sure thing but the other two were partialy repealable? Now I know why the WPD don't know the law.Their lawyer doesn't even know it! EGGADDS! It was close though. 5-4, just like Heller v. DC! Wasn't it fun though with all the excitement? Councilman Stevens pretty much told em to quit acting like children. I could feel the tension through the tube! I emailed Scott Stevens and thanked him for the 5-4 vote and eliminating any possible ordinances that the WPD might erringly use against us law abiding OCers. I also told him I've been trying to get a meeting with Richards and Dwyer for the last two weeks and I'm very disappointed that they haven't replyed yet. I might have to meet with Mayor Fouts to get things rolling. Thanks for being there BRO! LATER!

Haman J.T.

imported post

johnnyd74 wrote:
yes i told him the same things you did!!

also let me know if you get that meeting cause i want to be there, as i will you!!
It will be me,Dean,Dwyer and Richards only. It's a legal matter,but thanks anyway!

FatboyCykes

imported post

Awesome, thanks Johnny, what time abouts did they debate/vote? I tried watching but I konked at about 11. Also, hit me with councilman Stevens email, I'd like to email him and possible the other four and thank them.

DanM

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Also, hit me with councilman Stevens email, I'd like to email him and possible the other four and thank them.
From City of Warren website: Scott Stevens<scs425@wowway.com>.

The city's website has a link to the council's page, and on there are the members and their email addresses. I emailed all of them, just generally thanking Mr. Stevens and the members who supportedremoving the offending ordinances.

I made the point that, although this is a Warren matter, many folks outside of Warren were paying attention to this issue because of its wider implicationsand I'm one of them.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Dear Mr. Thompson I voted no on this item because the city attorney requested an opportunity to review the ordinances and revise them to comply with state law. Mr. Stevens was not willing to afford that opportunity. Otherwise, I had no objection to the proposal. Kathy J. Vogt

scot623

imported post

Holy Shit. KathyVogt is a personal friend of my family and my Attorney. I guess I should keep up with Warren politics more often. At least she says she wasn't againt the repeal in general.

DanM

imported post

scot623 wrote:
Holy @#$%. KathyVogt is a personal friend of my family and my Attorney. I guess I should keep up with Warren politics more often. At least she says she wasn't againt the repeal in general.
However, Vogt's excuse for opposition was very weak. Below is an excerpt of my email to the council relevant to her opposition:

"Also, I'm aware Ms. Vogt statesher opposition had to do with the city attorney's claim to needing more time to review the ordinances and revise them to comply with state law. The state law is clear and concise: MCL 123.1102--"A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state."

"In addition, there is case law readily and easily accessible which reinforces that local units of government below the state must comply with MCL 123.1102, including MCRGO v. City of Ferndale.

"I would suggest to Ms. Vogt that this area of law is clear, and any competent attorney should have been able to prepare herself/himself between publication of the meeting agenda and the meeting itself. Didthe city attorneyreadthe agenda published before the meetings? Perhaps the City of Warren should shop for more effective and efficient counsel elsewhere . . ."

johnnyd74

imported post

from scott stevens warren city council

John,

No problem. Could hardly keep my eyes open at work today. I have to say you are a real trooper yourself. I'll speak with the Mayor tomorrow andget him to speak with Dwyer on this matter.

I'm going to ask him to have Dwyer: 1) brief and provide/post memo toDispatchers regarding asking relevant questions about individuals reporting persons carrying a firearm, 2) brief and provide/post memo to Police responding to a report of an individual carrying a firearm.

I welcome any comments/suggestions as to what should be included in that memo/policy.

Scott

:exclaim::exclaim:all right people what should be included??:question::question:

Haman J.T.

imported post

scot623 wrote:
Holy @#$%. KathyVogt is a personal friend of my family and my Attorney. I guess I should keep up with Warren politics more often. At least she says she wasn't againt the repeal in general.
She should know that it's his job to know the law,which obviously he doesn't.Besides,they have known for a week that this was going to be voted on and had the info prior to this meeting,Richards is anti-gun.

T Vance

imported post

Kathy Vogt - "Abrigation means repeal? And so we just want to do away with these?..........hmmmm" (6:26 in the video).

Good job guys! Keep up the hard work!

Thanks for editing and posting videos Mike!