• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

armed vigilantes? in the uw

PoppaGary

imported post

From the article: "University Of Washington Deputy Police Chief Ray Wittmier says; "People when they are carrying weapons a lot of times they feel less vulnerable so they put themselves in bad positions sometimes increasing the likelihood that they might run into a bad situation."

What a bunch of baloney, most of us go out of our way to avoid "bad positions or situations" if we can, maybe he was talking about the police. :shock:But then again, given the recent uptick in incidents, maybe the police do avoid those areas!

Gary

massivedesign

imported post

It didn't help that the news repeatedly showed them racking the slide, slamming the clip and then.... oh gawd... Putting the gun into the front of the pants...

We need to get them on here and get these UW boys educated, so they can spread the love.

heresolong

imported post

I thought that they came across as well spoken and "not crazy". Too bad about the "front of the pants thing" and the loading and unloading the gun. Wouldn't be surprised if they were prompted to do that by the news crew as it isn't a normal gun owner thing that I've seen. All in all a pretty balanced news report.

gsx1138

imported post

I don't think they're doing anything wrong. Other than poor gun handling it's obvious that the UW "police" are not the professional ones. I think the amount of assaults in that area speak for themselves.

Citizens should have the right to make sure their neighborhoods stay safe.

Mech

imported post

Well my main concern is, now that the two students have been made public and everyone knows who they are, would UW officials arrest them/enforce disciplinary actions on them for breaking school policies?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I found one of the students on Facebook and sent a message reaching out to them. As a former student at the UW I applaud their stance but am concerned about hwo this story could be used against them. I sent them a link to this forum and hopefully they will reach out for some advice and we can help them with a responsible solution to their very real fears

Nosrac

imported post

I'm thinking these kids are in trouble when they do shoot someone. From what I heardit doesn't look to me like a reason to use deadly force. Mean green pepper spray might be a better idea. A holster and some gun training would be prudent too.

Magix

imported post

Wow, it actually physically hurt me to watch that video and see one of them stick their loaded gun in the front of their pants. That just set every gun owner in Seattle back 5 years. *sigh* :banghead:

I don't have a problem with their reasoning, but their approach and skills needs some serious work.

Tawnos

imported post

If you look closely at the video segment when drawing, you can see the guy does actually have a holster. The holster's clip is visible on the belt and the nylon is just barely visible.

Who knows if they mentioned that and it got caught, or if they're unaware/just don't care how they're perceived. Either way, at least they weren't "mexican carrying". As heresolong said, most of what they did was likely prompted. They simply didn't have enough experience to know not to do that despite the reporter's request.

jbone

imported post

Did he say he was walking around being the bait, fishing for robbers?

jbone

imported post

I'm sure he will find want he's looking for, what a dumbass.

I have the same M&P with no external safety, mine the 9c. Dammed if I would ever sick in in my drawerslockedand loaded pionting at my Junk.:shock:

Commodore76

imported post

massivedesign wrote:
It didn't help that the news repeatedly showed them racking the slide, slamming the clip and then.... oh gawd... Putting the gun into the front of the pants...

We need to get them on here and get these UW boys educated, so they can spread the love.

Not a bad idea. I wonder how we might be able to provide some sort of educational service (maybeoffered as a public service by OCDO)

Thougts?

Gemini

imported post

Yeah, get jumped, adrenaline screaming, grab the gun with your finger in the wrong place and squeeze a little too hard.... :what:

Gemini

imported post

@commodore Excellent idea, they have the right idea, it just seems some education is needed. And yes, this group would be an excellent place to do it. I wonder if there is any way to contact them?

Commodore76

imported post

Gemini wrote:
@commodore Excellent idea, they have the right idea, it just seems some education is needed. And yes, this group would be an excellent place to do it. I wonder if there is any way to contact them?
Facebook? You're the "computer expert", can you find 'em?