• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry w/ CPL in "Gun Free Zone"

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I hate to tell you jeff but your car analogie is weak and therefore leads to problems when you try to exstrapolate....

Ok, Ok, I admit defeat with the emergency car example.

I do still stand however that the intent of disclosure when carrying concealed under authority of a cpl may well have merit when using the authority of that license to Oc in a victim zone.

I could be wrong. I was wrong once before... :what:

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
So a man with good manners that has been wearing a hat all day goes into a bar while OC'ing. He removes his cap and exposes his tousled hair. As it is, the air conditioning is not working and it is quite warm in the bar causing the man to perspire heavily. On top of this, the man is suffering from allergies and one of his eyes are twitching uncontrollably. He also has a weird sense of humor and continually mumbles about it "being hotter than the underside of a mother chickens bum" whilst reaching out his hand and making a grasping gesture.

Would it be advisable for this man to show a cpl if asked by LE?
Advisable? In his situation, yes. However, 'advisable to' is fundamentally different from 'legally required to'

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I am sorry, but the visual of BRIAN wielding a Louisville Slugger against a chipmunk entirely derailed my ability to follow the conversation.

Michigander

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
I am sorry, but the visual of BRIAN wielding a Louisville Slugger against a chipmunk entirely derailed my ability to follow the conversation.

On the face of it, it's almost a brutally disturbing thing to imagine.

But you're right, it's also incredibly funny. :lol:

PDinDetroit

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Sounds just like something Carl Spackler would do - Varmint Cong, as it were.

http://www.carlspackler.com/

I am surprised Brian did not pull out a mashie niblick to use...

ghostrider

imported post

Carrying openly in a CEZ with a CPL is not RAS to detain.

If the officer does develop RAS through a totality of circumstances, then that officer may do so, and it would probably be up to the judge to decide that.

Regardless if the officer has RAS or not, the CPL holder is not in this example required to supply ID/CPL since that is only a requirement for “concealed” pistols.

The way the law is worded, if a CPL holder is carrying a concealed pistol, and an officer “requests” ID/CPL, then the CPL holder must show them. There is no such requirement on OC w/CPL however, if one is being detained (regardless of RAS), then it might help to clear things up. True that the officer may not have lawful RAS, but that would be something to take up with the courts later.

If you feel confident enough to know that the court will find the officer lacking lawful RAS, then you could refuse to present ID. Not because the detention is unlawful, but because disclosure is not required by law. If you feel the detention was unlawful, then you can take it up with the courts and his superiors later.

This is why I wrote WWR, as well as recommend DVR’s. It is also why I discourage trying to educate individual officers on the street. (Many of them are just using such “education” to learn how to avoid constitutional pitfalls while harassing OC’ers.) (Remember, when they unlawfully detained some of our members; they adjusted their RAS when told how unlawful their initial RAS was). Again, this is why I wrote WWR. Get the officer’s RAS for the stop (the full extent of it), and don’t do or say anything until he gives it to you (if he physically forces or orders you to stand up and present ID/CPL, that is up to your decision).

Dougwg was a great example when he went to turn in a firearm for destruction. The desk officer demanded ID, and dougwg simply asked if he was suspected of a crime. He still provided the ID, but made sure to get the RAS.

Agree or disagree, and IANAL, and this isn’t legal advice. eHeka;kldjkl’af

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

darn you PD, you made me waste time at work making this... but I totally had to.
BrianSpackler.png

PDinDetroit

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

darn you PD, you made me waste time at work making this... but I totally had to.
BrianSpackler.png
It was my pleasure! Great likeness!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
PDinDetroit wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

BrianSpackler.png
OMG I had to look twice to get it. That's funny right there. I will say that in reality I was about 12 years old and really needed the money for pop and candy.

This is what we were after...a 13 lined ground squirrel. Cute now, but $.50 is $.50. I'm sorry now that they are extinct, once the fairways were full of them and the golfers had to wait days as the herds passed by.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Venator wrote:
OMG I had to look twice to get it. That's funny right there. I will say that in reality I was about 12 years old and really needed the money for pop and candy.

This is what we were after...a 13 lined ground squirrel. Cute now, but $.50 is $.50. I'm sorry now that they are extinct, once the fairways were full of them and the golfers had to wait days as the herds passed by.
you know, thats an impressive goatee for a 12 year old... :cool:

Venator

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Venator wrote:

you know, thats an impressive goatee for a 12 year old... :cool:
Been shaving since I was 9.

Venator

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Carrying openly in a CEZ with a CPL is not RAS to detain.

If the officer does develop RAS through a totality of circumstances, then that officer may do so, and it would probably be up to the judge to decide that.

Regardless if the officer has RAS or not, the CPL holder is not in this example required to supply ID/CPL since that is only a requirement for “concealed” pistols.

The way the law is worded, if a CPL holder is carrying a concealed pistol, and an officer “requests” ID/CPL, then the CPL holder must show them. There is no such requirement on OC w/CPL however, if one is being detained (regardless of RAS), then it might help to clear things up. True that the officer may not have lawful RAS, but that would be something to take up with the courts later.

If you feel confident enough to know that the court will find the officer lacking lawful RAS, then you could refuse to present ID. Not because the detention is unlawful, but because disclosure is not required by law. If you feel the detention was unlawful, then you can take it up with the courts and his superiors later.

This is why I wrote WWR, as well as recommend DVR’s. It is also why I discourage trying to educate individual officers on the street. (Many of them are just using such “education” to learn how to avoid constitutional pitfalls while harassing OC’ers.) (Remember, when they unlawfully detained some of our members; they adjusted their RAS when told how unlawful their initial RAS was). Again, this is why I wrote WWR. Get the officer’s RAS for the stop (the full extent of it), and don’t do or say anything until he gives it to you (if he physically forces or orders you to stand up and present ID/CPL, that is up to your decision).

Dougwg was a great example when he went to turn in a firearm for destruction. The desk officer demanded ID, and dougwg simply asked if he was suspected of a crime. He still provided the ID, but made sure to get the RAS.

Agree or disagree, and IANAL, and this isn’t legal advice. eHeka;kldjkl’af

Add to further enhanceknowledge to the discussion.

U.S.[/b] Supreme Court Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648 (1979)[/b]
No. 77-1571 Argued January 17, 1979 Decided March 27, 1979 440 U.S. 648
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF DELAWARE

Syllabus

A patrolman in a police cruiser stopped an automobile occupied by respondent and seized marijuana in plain view on the car floor. Respondent was subsequently indicted for illegal possession of a controlled substance. At a hearing on respondent's motion to suppress the marijuana, the patrolman testified that, prior to stopping the vehicle, he had observed neither traffic or equipment violations nor any suspicious activity, and that he made the stop only in order to check the driver's license and the car's registration. The patrolman was not acting pursuant to any standards, guidelines, or procedures pertaining to document spot checks, promulgated by either his department or the State Attorney General. The trial court granted the motion to suppress, finding the stop and detention to have been wholly capricious, and therefore violate of the Fourth Amendment. The Delaware Supreme Court affirmed.

Held:

1. This Court has jurisdiction in this case even though the Delaware Supreme Court held that the stop at issue not only violated the Federal Constitution but also was impermissible under the Delaware Constitution. That court's opinion shows that, even if the State Constitution would have provided an adequate basis for the judgment below, the court did not intend to rest its decision independently on the State Constitution, its holding instead depending upon its view of the reach of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments. Pp.
articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-663.

(a) Stopping an automobile and detaining its occupants constitute a "seizure" within the meaning of the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments, even though the purpose of the stop is limited and the resulting detention quite brief. The permissibility of a particular law enforcement practice is judged by balancing its intrusion on the individual's Fourth Amendment interests against its promotion of legitimate governmental interests. Pp.
440 U. S. 653-655.

428 U. S. 543, the marginal contribution to roadway safety possibly resulting from a system of spot checks cannot justify subjecting every occupant of every vehicle on the roads to a seizure at the unbridled discretion of law enforcement officials. Pp. 440 U. S. 655-661.

(c) An individual operating or traveling in an automobile does not lose all reasonable expectation of privacy simply because the automobile and its use are subject to government regulation. People are not shorn of all Fourth Amendment protection when they step from their homes onto the public sidewalk; nor are they shorn of those interests when they step from the sidewalks into their automobiles. Pp.
440 U. S. 662-663.

(d) The holding in this case does not preclude Delaware or other States from developing methods for spot checks that involve less intrusion or that do not involve the unconstrained exercise of discretion. Questioning of all oncoming traffic at roadblock-type stops is one possible alternative. P.
440 U. S. 663.

382 A.2d 1359, affirmed.

EM87

imported post

Venator wrote:
Guns are allowed in a Meijer's store.

Are they? Last I heard, we hadn't confirmed their policy. I was told a few months ago by an employee that I couldn't OC in Meijer, so it would make me happy to know that their policy does not disallow OC.

Venator

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Venator wrote:

Are they? Last I heard, we hadn't confirmed their policy. I was told a few months ago by an employee that I couldn't OC in Meijer, so it would make me happy to know that their policy does not disallow OC.

They are not prohibited by law, ergo. my example. Any private business can ban guns.

I did write them about two months ago asking for their policy, they have not answered me.

EM87

imported post

Venator wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Venator wrote:

They are not prohibited by law, ergo. my example.  Any private business can ban guns. 

I did write them about two months ago asking for their policy, they have not answered me.

I know that any private business can ban guns - I just wanted to clarify their policy. Thanks!

firefighterSTFD22

imported post

Venator wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Venator wrote:

They are not prohibited by law, ergo. my example. Any private business can ban guns.

I have oc'ed in the Auburn Hills Meijers on two seperate occasions (one was quite a long shopping trip) with no issues.