• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Number of women buying handguns increasing.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/women.handguns.increasing.2.1274866.html

CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Local gun shop owners say they're seeing an increase in the number of women shoppers right now. The reasons, they say, are many, including the downturn in the economy and violence on the street.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports on the growing trend.

"It's very dangerous out there. I mean, there's people getting robbed here and there," said Josie Santiago. "It's just for protection."

Santiago says she's always thinking about the danger lurking on the streets of the Chicago area. It's a big reason why she visited Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park.

Not only did she shop for a new weapon, but she also wanted to find out about taking firearms training from the pros.

"It's better that you know how to use it," Santiago said. "You know, take the class, take the course, protect yourself."

And she's not alone. A National Shooting Sports Foundation survey found that the top two reasons women seek firearms training are for personal protection and target practice.

At Illinois Gun Works, the owners say they've seen a 40 percent increase recently in the numbers of women looking to take classes, and that the number of women coming in to purchase guns is rising, too.

"A lot more. We purchased this business seven years ago, and I've noticed the increase," said Debbie Mastrianni.

"It's not so much because they're scared. I think they just want to learn about it," said Don Mastrianni.

Josie Santiago says the lessons in personal security are something she wants to pass on to other women in her family, but she wants them to learn the responsibility of being behind the trigger as well.

"If it's in the wrong hands, you know, a lot of damage can be done," Santiago said.

Santiago is taking her interest in public safety a step further now. She's going for a degree in criminal justice and eventually would like to become a police officer.

Both Illinois Gun Works and the National Shooting Sports Foundation offer classes for first-timers.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I watched the clip on the story and I am shocked to see that Chicago based news outletwas fair. It didn't seem to be any editorializing with the reporting.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Handguns are illegal in most of the Chicago suburbs (my understanding) and Chicago itself.
Why didn't they mention that, especially with the SCOTUS case this year?

Deanimator

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Handguns are illegal in most of the Chicago suburbs (my understanding) and Chicago itself.
Why didn't they mention that, especially with the SCOTUS case this year?
Not "most", some. And some of them have dropped their bans post-Heller.

What I found interesting was the ambiguity regarding exactly HOW those interviewed were going to use their handguns, since Illinois is one of only two states with NO citizen CCW AT ALL. They made it sound as though some of those interviewed would be carrying their guns.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
about 48 percent of people taking their first handgun seminars this year happen to be women.
An odd choice of words especially from a presumably college educated journalist. Seminar is differentiated by collegial participants.
Perfectly usable in this context. A seminar is distinguished by the participation level of the students and the advanced subject. Seminars outside of colleges abound, DougH.