• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gangs Setting up Shop in MD

MikeV

imported post

I was driving home last night listening to WMAL 630am, and heard an alarming story.

Due to the tough enforcement in VA, it seems that more and more gangs are moving their activities to MD.

Yet another reason we need SHALL ISSUE and unlicensed OPEN CARRY in MD!

MikeV

Sonora Rebel

imported post

MikeV wrote:
I was driving home last night listening to WMAL 630am, and heard an alarming story.

Due to the tough enforcement in VA, it seems that more and more gangs are moving their activities to MD.

MikeV
All the more reason for MO'M and the hysterical anti-gun Dums to go into their dance about 'gun-control' which will only continue to leave the citizenry defenseless prey to the criminal element. No... they don't 'get it' and never will.

Dreamer

imported post

I have a friend who is a PhD statistician living in NoVa, and about 7 years ago, while working for Fairfax County, she helped author the report on Gang Activity in NoVa. She's pretty much an expert on gang-related crime statistics in that region, and she told me then that although the really bad gangs like MS-13 were growing in VA, that the REAL problem was going to happen when they branched out and becme established in MD and WV.

She said they would become established in VA, but would remain mostly underground and keep to themselves, because the VA LEAs were on top of the problem, and the gangs knew that Virginia law-abiding residents were pretty heavily armed, and the gangs had no idea which house or which random yuppie walking down the street in VA might be packing at any given moment.

She said it would be a problem in WV (particularly the Eastern Panhandle) because their LEA's weren't even remotely prepared for it. But they would probaly maintain a low profile in that area, because of all the firearms owners in WV, and the high probablility that law-abiding citizens in WV wouldn't hesitate to defend themselves and their property. Tags for MS-13 were first identified by the Berkeley County Sheriffs department in Martinsburg in 2001.

But she said the problem in MD would be different, because it would devolve into turf wars with the older established gangs, and also the law-abiding citizenry was essentially disarmed and posed no threat against home invasions, muggings, and random acts of violence. And they would become increasingly bolder, because they knew they would almost never meet armed resistance from law-abiding MD residents, due to widespread governmental diarmament of the citizenry.

Unfortunately it looks like she was right...

Now she works for the GAO, so she's dealing with an entirely different level of organized criminals... ;)

MikeV

imported post

Dreamer

Is there a link to this report anywhere? I would be interested inreviewing it and possibly directingOur State Lawmakers to it. Hopefully with an ever growing push we here in MD may get something done in the GA. Last year although it failed the vote in Committee, at least we finally got a vote on a Pro-gun bill (I believe it was Castle-Doctrine).

MikeV

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The MD State Legislature is Myopia wrapped in Denial. They've beaten the anti-gun drum for so long they're deaf to anything other. So is the local media... and law enforcement.

And the sheeple will bleat whatever they've been conditioned to bleat.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Not at all... but there's too many myopic sheeple in MD... particulary Baltimore-Metro.Then... ya got O'Malley.

How's 75-80 doin'? Wilcom still own it?

MikeV

imported post

75-80 was shut down for about 2-3 (maybe 4-5)years but recently re-opened. I think the development deal fell through or something to that effect. Wicom's Inn is stil and has been open as far as I know. It's nice to hear the motor's from my yard on the weekend. I am not a big drag racing fan, I am a huge stock car racing fan, but I am glad all the same that the track is up and running again.

MikeV

BacknBlack

imported post

MikeV wrote:
75-80 was shut down for about 2-3 (maybe 4-5)years but recently re-opened. I think the development deal fell through or something to that effect. Wicom's Inn is stil and has been open as far as I know. It's nice to hear the motor's from my yard on the weekend. I am not a big drag racing fan, I am a huge stock car racing fan, but I am glad all the same that the track is up and running again.

MikeV
Too bad it turned into a 1/8 mile track...:cuss:

Dreamer

imported post

MikeV,

I don't know if the report she worked on is online, but you can get the 2008 "Gangs in FFX Co By The Numbers" report at this link:

[size="-2"] [/size] http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gangprevention/gangs_in_fairfax_county_by_the_numbers_-_2008.pdf

Here is the main link to the FFX Co Gang Activities Prevention website:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gangprevention/

But the other posts are pretty dead-on. The Maryland Legislature is so myopically dedicated to disarming the pubic that no amount of statistics, academically-vetted research, or actual real-life street cases will convince them that they are wrong.

Just look at Babs Mikulsky. She's one of the biggest anti-gun Senators in Washington, and she actually held one of those elusive MD CC permits for years. And even on this issue, she's a duplicitous, issue-dodging weasel--she lodges a "Not Voting" vote on the Thune Amendment in July...

Interestingly enough, all three of the Senators who "No Voted"--Kennedey from MA, Byrd from WV, and Mikulsky from MD--all three have at one time in their lives had CC permits...

Jared

imported post

MikeV wrote:

MikeV

We need to get these gang members applications for a handgun carry permit so they can legally carry handguns and concealed switchblades.

Being in a gang is probably good cause to be issued a license.. right?

Dreamer

eddyys

imported post

Maryland shall issue... if you are the person who owns the color blue or the person who knows a few cops.

jmk0882

imported post

As many of you probably already know, Maryland's laws are actually written in "Shall Issue" language. The problem is that the State Police have taken it upon themselves to demand that an applicant show documented threats before they will even consider issuing a permit. I think we would be much more effective at taking that particular issue to the General Assembly than expecting them to pass a new "Shall Issue" law...

As a side note, I am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer who is allowed to carry my issued weapon 24/7. Three years ago I applied for a CCW license just to see what they would say. Well, they declined the application. When I went to speak with the Lt. who ran the office in Jessup I showed him my creds and explained that we were allowed to carry anyway he asked me why I applied in the first place. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I just wanted to demonstrate how ridiculous they were being by denying permits to people who were no threat of using firearms in a criminal manner. He wasn't happy...

Dreamer

imported post

jmk,

You need to contact Delegate Mike Smigiel in MD, and give him your story, and copies of ANY documentation you have. He is one of the ONLY pro-2A delegates in the MD GA, and is one of the co-sponsors of the reciprocity bill that's currently on the docket in MD. He's also a co-sponsor on a bill to re-define their "justifiable reason" silliness and make it more of a Shall Issue policy.

I'm sure that your story would be a VERY powerful testimony for the General Assembly to hear--it illustrates just how corrupt the MSP is on this issue...

Mr H

imported post

It's not just the 'urban' areas where this is becomeing an issue, and not just organized gangs.

In our neighborhood, over the past few years, there has been a marked increase in what I'll call 'roving bands that don't match the original community profile'.

I'm not talking about regular families (of whatever stripe) moving in and being part of the fabric. I'm completely on board there, and welcome them.

These are transient--or at least outside--groups who give every impression of being trouble on the hoof.

I'm certainly not implying there IS trouble, but it ends up looking iffy, at best. There are days when my wife, if I'm not home, will keep her 'little friend' handy, simply because the whole thing gets so weird.

Turtle

imported post

Hey guys, this is my first post and have recently moved to MD because of not only work but I'm also engaged. I hold a FL CCP which worked well when I lived in VA and previously FL haha, but isn't worth a dime in MD!

But, on this gang issue... My fiancée teaches at a high school in Gaithersburg. Just two weeks ago 3 kids were arrested, there were 7 fights, the school lost power and sewage AND the most worrying thing to me is some kid(s) drew a gang sign on m fiancee's door. And only on her door! Then last week since apparently two groups of kids took their neighborhood fight to school and threw two students over a 2nd floor railing and have threatened to bring oil to school and light it on fire. From what my fiancée's family and others tell me gangs are on a sharp increase there. Having family in Baltimore I knew it was bad in the city, but it is a real shame that our MD govt does nothing to help, but everything to make it worse!

Between, what seems to me, my fiancée was targeted with the sign on her door, and someone entering our home to put a confrontational note on our door when my fiancée was walking the dog and I was not home, I am considering applying for this elusive MD CCP. Being new to the state would that be sufficient cause? Would these issues worry you as much as me? I enjoyed the freedom in VA and FL, and hope we can bring it to MD!