• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing story

Riana

imported post

I agree with the first statement - "What is wrong with people?"

How can someone stand by and watch while one person rapes another? Why did NO ONE mention to the chaperones "Hey, something is going on out there... you might want to check on them..." Hell, even if you thought it might be consensual - it's high school, for crying out loud. People generally don't have sex on school grounds - at least we didn't when I was that age.

Many years ago, I was walking to a fast food place in Sacramento, and while waiting for the crosswalk, three guys went up to a flatbed truck hauling 10 ATVs (stopped at the light), yanked the driver out of the cab, beat the crap out of him, and took off with the truck. The 911 operators had their hands full with the dozens of calls they got (including mine) describing the incident, perpetrators, vehicle, license plates, etc. The cops picked the guys up within an hour with the information they had (including info from the bystander who had the gumption to follow them to where they intended to off-load the ATVs).

Point is, we all saw something, identified it as wrong, and contacted help. This is how people are supposed to work. If you can't fix it yourself, find someone who can. Something is seriously wrong with us ifwe can just walk by something like this and ignore it.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
The lookie loos are no less animals than the rapists.... Not a real man in the crowd. Just a bunch of filthy animals.... the males and females....

My point exactly. EVERYONE is at fault. They were all acting like a bunch of drunk idiots and just because she was the one that happened to get raped doesn't vindicate her of all wrong doing.

It's the school's fault for not properly supervising.

It's the passersby's fault for not doing anything.

It's the rapists' fault for initiating it.

and last, but certainly not least...

It's her fault for willingly making herself an easy target.

No one, her included, is without blame.

And drop the date rape strawman. Date rape often involves involuntary intoxication (drugs in drinks, etc). In this case the girl WILLINGLY got herself hammered in the middle of a mob of drunk, less-than-stellar people. If the nth time, that DOES NOT EXCUSE what happened, nor does it mean she deserved it. It means she also shoulders some of the blame - nothing more, nothing less. To state my opinion as anything else is to make a strawman.

Harper1227

imported post

as long as she - or anyone else for that matter - is aware enough to say no. it is rape - and if they are too out of it, then that is as good as a no. unless she said before passing out "hey, if i pass out go ahead an gang bang me" it is rape.

no matter the situation she put herself inor poor judgementit is rape and therefor the VICTIM should not be blamed.

it is attitudes like that that make it so difficult for women to come forward or take rapists to court. they already feel so much internal shame and blame, for someone to say its partially their fault, just perpatuates the problem.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
just because she was the one that happened to get raped doesn't vindicate her of all wrong doing.

It's her fault for willingly making herself an easy target.

No one, her included, is without blame.

And drop the date rape strawman. Date rape often involves involuntary intoxication (drugs in drinks, etc). In this case the girl WILLINGLY got herself hammered in the middle of a mob of drunk, less-than-stellar people. If the nth time, that DOES NOT EXCUSE what happened, nor does it mean she deserved it. It means she also shoulders some of the blame - nothing more, nothing less. To state my opinion as anything else is to make a strawman.

If you are inferring that she as a young adult should know better than to put herself in a risky situation, then I agree that she made poor judgement decisions. If you are inferring that she shares any moral or legal blame for what happened to her, then I am 180 degrees from that. I am not of the belief that she is to blame for tempting them. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and I would not hold anyoneresponsible if they were to enact personal justice on these animals. Poor judgement in placing yourself in harm's way does not make you responsible for the actions of the animals taking advantage of you in this vulnerable position. It does not lessen their responsibility for their own actions and does not reduce or negate any penalties which should be imposed.

Ruthlessactsshould be rewarded with brutal retribution.

RJHORSE66

imported post

VERY WELL SAID RIANA HARPER DO YOU THINK THIS GUY REALLY DESERVES YOUR (OUR) ATTENTION ANYMORE I THINKWE SHOULD JUST IGNORE HIS SILLYA$$ COMMENTS FROM NOW ON

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Mike_Hawke wrote:
Forgive my lack of shock and awe; nothing here is shocking or surprising. There is no grand conspiracy here. It's humanity showing its true colors, courtesy of Mr. Jack Daniels.
Nothing in this article is surprising or remarkable to you?? What kind of sick twisted **** are you?
Ya know something Hawke, you are a real piece of work, How is it the fault of the alcohol that this girl was gang raped and beaten by a group of sub-human scum?
I bet if she would have been stone-sober, these animals would have done the same thing.

Mike_Hawke Also wrote:

I'm not saying her poor choices EXCUSE the behavior. What I am saying is that they CONTRIBUTED to what happened. Had she not gone to hang out with them, it wouldnot have happened. Had she not been blasted, it may not have happened or she may have been able to signal help for herself.
Your logic is an epic fail! it is like saying that it would be my fault for being in a car accident just because I left the house that day, because in your twisted thoughts, if I would not have left the house, I would not have been involved in a car wreck.

At what point are you going to blame this poor girl even more by saying something just as stupid as "if she would have stayed home that night, this would have never happened"

I do not know how things work in Peurto Rico, but if you are any indication, I will defenitely avoid visiting the place.

wjxavier

imported post

I read this article on CNN's website, and they mentioned Kitty Genovese and it kinda makes me want to make sure people like this, don't ever do it again...ever. If you know what i mean....(Boondock Saints...)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not joining the dog pile on Mike Hawke. While I don't agree with all of his points he is certainly correct in stating the the rape victim significantly increased her risk of being a victim of some type of criminal act by getting very intoxicated in that situation. Acknowledging this reality in no way diminishes the horridness of the attack, the criminal culpability of the aggressors or the total disregard of her classmates.

RJHORSE66

imported post

even if she was drunk out of her mind that does'nt excuse it and do you people really think one girl could fight off a gang of idiots like that even sober you guys are not all there this is in no way that girls fault at all !!!!!!!!

ruthless acts should be rewarded with brutal retribution:cuss:

well said interceptor.

Alexcabbie

imported post

AHEM.

"all suspects ae innocent until proven guilty in a Court of Law"

Maybe there WAS a two hour gang rape. But at least in my day if something like that had happened, it would not hve happened on "school grounds" but in the surrounding woods, How many LEOs we got here?

TWO HOURS????? Out in the open?? I suppose in the nidddle of the desert. But two hours ON SCHOOL GROUNDS???

Well, if that ois really the case then instead of (insert your state's name here) seceeding from the Union, why don;t we just kick California OUT???

jayspapa

imported post

In some countries they cut a thiefs hand off when caught......I have a sharp knife!!!!!:cuss:

A woman can tease a man to the point of penetration but at that point , if the woman says "sorry not tonight ", that is the end of it! Period!!!

Harper1227

imported post

wjxavier wrote:
I read this article on CNN's website, and they mentioned Kitty Genovese and it kinda makes me want to make sure people like this, don't ever do it again...ever. If you know what i mean....(Boondock Saints...)
agree. that was the first thing i thought of too. and i love that movie

Harper1227

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
<snip>
Well, if that ois really the case then instead of (insert your state's name here) seceeding from the Union, why don;t we just kick California OUT???
b.c. then who would protect them from themselves :lol:

Riana

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
<snip>
b.c. then who would protect them from themselves :lol:
Darwin.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Sorry; but, anybody that would claim that because she was drinking, somehow that makes it even partly her fault is completely clueless...That's like saying because some woman "dressed like a slut,"somehow she deserved to get raped. For all anybody knows, this was the first time she had ever had anything to drink...and had no idea whatsoever to expect, as far as what the alcohol would do to her...and nobody knows what kind of pressure was being put on her to drink by her "friends." And so you know...this is coming from a father of a 14 year old girl (at the time) who had a "friend" pressure her into trying pot for the first time...then said "friend" stood by and watched her get gang raped! And because I have guns...the 14 year old daughter was afraid to come to me and tell me and her mother about it because she was afraid I'd go find and kill them and I'd end up in prison...so she hid her rape from her mother and I for about 6 months...to protect me! So, when you have lived through this...I'll take your opinion seriously...until then...STFU!

My problem with the story is that it said the father was looking for her during the attack...apparently not very hard...

*edited for spelling*

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
If you are inferring that she as a young adult should know better than to put herself in a risky situation, then I agree that she made poor judgement decisions.

That is exactly what I'm saying.

If you are inferring that she shares any moral or legal blame for what happened to her, then I am 180 degrees from that.

That is NOT what I'm saying.

Is my position finally clear, because the strawman are flying (not directing that at you)?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
My problem with the story is that it said the father was looking for her during the attack...apparently not very hard...

There's a lot about the story that doesn't add up. Hence why I offered the contrarian perspective - there simply isn't enough information, and what information we do have doesn't make much sense.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Increasing risk does not equate to fault. Mental health professionals and sociologists (and I believe criminologists as well) list intoxication as one of the compounding risk factors for rape among high school and college aged females. There have been public awareness campaigns on college campuses about this being a risk factor.

Riding a motorcycle is a risk factor for life insurance that often leads to higher rates. That doesn't mean that if someone doesn't look at pulls out in front of you while you are riding that it is your fault, just that you have a higher risk of facing that situation and dying as a result of it.

As I said above, I find this entire situation vile on the part of the perpetrators as well as those who did/said nothing. And personally, I think such rapes should be a capital offense. However, being sick to my stomach about the rape and bouncing between rage and near tears over what happened to this young woman doesn't mitigate the reality that this young lady made an unfortunate choice to increase her risk of harm by willingly becoming intoxicated in that situation. In the same vein, the criminal assault against her is in no way mitigated or excused due to her increased risk and such risk in no way insinuates fault.