Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: How to answer to answer the question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Englewood, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    654

    Post imported post

    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.



    Food for thought.....

  2. #2
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Post imported post

    Just answer: Probably not but I had to drive here then cross your parking lot to get in here. The only way to have it with you when you need it is to always have it with you.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

  3. #3
    Regular Member Harper1227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    The Wolfhound wrote:
    Just answer: Probably not but I had to drive here then cross your parking lot to get in here. The only way to have it with you when you need it is to always have it with you.
    you hit the nail right on the head there wolfy ole buddy

    i would (edit NOT go places i thought i needed a gun. like i posted somewhere else on this board

    For violent crime, about half occurred within a mile from home and 76% within five miles. Only 4% of victims of violent crime reported that the crime took place more than fifty miles from their home.
    what good is it then if i dont have it with me?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    Whenever someone asks me why I feel or think I need a gun in a particular place, I answer their question with my own:

    Do you think any of the 32 people shot and killed at Virginia Tech felt they needed a gun?

    How about in the seconds before they were shot?

    Or

    How many of yesterday's murder victims feel like they need a gun right now? None, cause they can't change their minds, right now.

    "Feeling" like you need something rarely has anything to do with actually needing it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Lthrnck wrote:
    " Do you really think you need the gun here?"
    I don't know, my crystal ball is broken?

    If I thought I would need to use my gun here I wouldn't be here.

    I usually offer an answer with the name of a murderer or violent attack that occurred at a similar location.

    That usually shuts them up, especially when I ask "did any of those people think they would want/need or use a gun today?"

    ETA:
    You could always ask "doyou ask police and armed security personnel the same question?".
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  6. #6
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.



    Food for thought.....
    I like the answer when asked if "do you need a gun here...are you expecting trouble?" is to say "If I was expecting troubleI'dof brought my rifle."
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  7. #7
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    For the past ten years I have carried a fire extinguisher in my car and never "needed" it.
    If the occasion arises that I DO need it, I won't have time to go home and get it.

    Gun? Same.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756

    Post imported post

    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    -snip-
    When I am asked a question like the one above... or even the generic "Why do you carry a gun?" question my response is:



    "Because you need someone to hide behind."
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary)

  10. #10
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me. The reason to carry a gun is for self-defense.

    So, wherever my self is, that's where I need the defense.

    Getting into a discussion about probability is a never-ending argument.

    "Self-defense" is the shortest and best answer for people, IMHO.



    mathar1 wrote:
    I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary)
    I've never liked that old saw.

    It's apples and oranges. The basic notion of preparedness is in there, of course. But deploying a deadly weapon in public travels is wayyyyyyyyy different than deploying a seat belt. The probabilities of benefits are significantly different, too.

    Apples and oranges. Therefore, not convincing. If I were an anti, I could argue against it easily.

    A more succinct and persuasive argument is simply: "self-defense."






  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    32

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me. The reason to carry a gun is for self-defense.

    So, wherever my self is, that's where I need the defense.

    Getting into a discussion about probability is a never-ending argument.

    "Self-defense" is the shortest and best answer for people, IMHO.



    mathar1 wrote:
    I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary)
    I've never liked that old saw.

    It's apples and oranges. The basic notion of preparedness is in there, of course. But deploying a deadly weapon in public travels is wayyyyyyyyy different than deploying a seat belt. The probabilities of benefits are significantly different, too.

    Apples and oranges. Therefore, not convincing. If I were an anti, I could argue against it easily.

    A more succinct and persuasive argument is simply: "self-defense."




    The SELF defense doesn't fly with me. It implies that you are out for yourself and yourself alone. Girl being gang raped and beaten "self defense" implies you just carry on because it's not YOU being attacked. It implies "screw the rest of you...I am out for me." I carry for ANY possibility..including the defense of those who cannot defend themselves.



    How are the probabilities of significant benefits different? A life saved is a life saved whether it be a seat belt/extinguisher or gun. If self defense were your only reason I could easily argue that with the availabilty of OC/ batons/ stun guns you would be safe with SIGNIFICANTLY less danger to bystanders and not have to spend nearly as much money/time or effort.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    I have always found using the analogy of having a smoke detector being a much better way to explain why I carry a firearm.

    A person ask's "Why do you have a gun with you?" in a nice or truely inquisitive manner. I usually reply with"Do you have smoke detectors in your home? Same concept."

    If they have a bad attitude and are being a snapperhead, My reply is usually "what gun? Oh, I forgot I had that on" and walk away.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California, USA
    Posts
    171

    Post imported post

    Get more direct. Ask your inquistioner, "Do you really need your shoes here? Or the rest of your clothing? :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

  14. #14
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    mathar1 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me. The reason to carry a gun is for self-defense.

    So, wherever my self is, that's where I need the defense.

    Getting into a discussion about probability is a never-ending argument.

    "Self-defense" is the shortest and best answer for people, IMHO.



    mathar1 wrote:
    I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary)
    I've never liked that old saw.

    It's apples and oranges. The basic notion of preparedness is in there, of course. But deploying a deadly weapon in public travels is wayyyyyyyyy different than deploying a seat belt. The probabilities of benefits are significantly different, too.

    Apples and oranges. Therefore, not convincing. If I were an anti, I could argue against it easily.

    A more succinct and persuasive argument is simply: "self-defense."

    The SELF defense doesn't fly with me. It implies that you are out for yourself and yourself alone. Girl being gang raped and beaten "self defense" implies you just carry on because it's not YOU being attacked. It implies "screw the rest of you...I am out for me." I carry for ANY possibility..including the defense of those who cannot defend themselves.



    How are the probabilities of significant benefits different? A life saved is a life saved whether it be a seat belt/extinguisher or gun. If self defense were your only reason I could easily argue that with the availabilty of OC/ batons/ stun guns you would be safe with SIGNIFICANTLY less danger to bystanders and not have to spend nearly as much money/time or effort.
    I meant "self-defense" in some kind of restrictive sense that would only include my own self. "Self-defense" doesn't imply all of what you said above. Straw man.

    Of course, "self-defense" could include other persons such as, but not limited to wife, gf, parents, children, etc. Even a non-relative. Depends on the circumstances.

    I think you went off on a bit of a tangent.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County VA, ,
    Posts
    207

    Post imported post

    You could always just snap back with "Can you guarantee I won't need a gun here?"

  16. #16
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Wangmuf wrote:
    You could always just snap back with "Can you guarantee I won't need a gun here?"
    That's a very persuasive one, I think. Look at the shootings at VT or in Orlando yesterday.

    Much more persuasive than shoes, or even smoke detectors. I don't get those.

    I do like the fire extinguisher, though. But there is probably something better. I'll think of something.



  17. #17
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    "Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
    "I hope not."
    "Well then, why do you carry it?"
    "In case I need it in here."


    "Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
    "Well, let me ask you this. Suppose someone right now were to burst in that door and starting shooting. What would you do?"
    "Why, I'd call the police."
    "Do you see any police in here right now?"
    "No."
    "Do you know how long it would take for someone to shoot a bunch of people in here? Do you want to be one of the ones shot before the police arrive?"


    "Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
    "Do you ask police the same question?"
    "No."
    "Why not?"
    "Because it's their job to carry a gun."
    "It's also my job to carry a gun, too."
    "Oh, so you're a police officer."
    "No. I just don't feel like dying today."


    "Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
    "Let me ask you this. In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?"


    "Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
    "When you get home, google Suzanna Hupp. Then you'll know."

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  18. #18
    Regular Member UtahJarhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ogden, UT, ,
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    Wangmuf wrote:
    You could always just snap back with "Can you guarantee I won't need a gun here?"
    We have a winner!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona, U.S.
    Posts
    625

    Post imported post

    Being that I live in Arizona, these questions very rarely arise as this is a very pro-gun state. Usually people who bring up the fact that I'm carrying are more interested in the make/model, specs on the gun, curious about good gun shops and ranges in the area, curious if I also havea CCW, and also curious as to what got me to start carrying and how long I've been carrying. These questions will sometimes come from the employees working at the business I'm at and rarely am I ever asked to leave an establishment for carrying.

    Since this state is so pro-gun, when I do run into the rare stranger who starts acting stupid about me carrying a gun and I am pretty sure that nothing I say will actually get through to their tiny brain, I generally just politely ask them to mind their own business and followed by a loud "F*ck Off" if they don't take the hint. I really don't have time for annoying stupid people when I have a busy life. So the infamous question, "Why do you need a gun in here?" I consider to be quite nosy. I may be a police officer who chooses to carry off duty. I may be an off-duty security guard or military service officer. I may be a citizen who simply values my safety. I may have just broken up with an ex-spouse who is suicidal, crazy, and is stalking me. Either way, I don't believe that a stranger has the right to be in my personal business and will not hesitate to inform them of that.



  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Near The Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    454

    Post imported post

    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.



    Food for thought.....
    Here is my short response.

    " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    "I don't know. ...and for me that is reason enough to carry!"



  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    Here's a good response: "No thank you." Then walk away.



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757

    Post imported post

    "Why do you carry a gun?"

    "Because we live in a relatively safe society...and I'd like it to stay that way!"

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    somewhere, somewhere USA
    Posts
    380

    Post imported post

    Because if someone is crazy enough to publicize the tele-tubbies on a national market. then someone is crazy enough to take my life. i would feel better about myself if that did not happen. thanks have a GREAT day :-)

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    Lthrnck wrote:
    On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

    I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

    Do I think it need it, probably not.

    Do I hope I need it, NO...

    Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.



    Food for thought.....
    I like the answer when asked if "do you need a gun here...are you expecting trouble?" is to say "If I was expecting troubleI'dof brought my rifle."
    I like that.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    Ya all are far too serious. Better answer: YELLOW BACON MONKEY MONKEY!!! (Loudly, while jumping up and down while patting your head). I'd be willing to wager they give you plenty of space after that. Joking obviously.

    I usually just answer something along the lines of 'It's not that I think I'll need it, it's that I won't have time to go get it if I do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •