• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to answer to answer the question

jay75009

imported post

Because if someone is crazy enough to publicize the tele-tubbies on a national market. then someone is crazy enough to take my life. i would feel better about myself if that did not happen. thanks have a GREAT day :)

johnny0911

imported post

Venator wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:
On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

Do I think it need it, probably not.

Do I hope I need it, NO...

Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.

Food for thought.....
I like the answer when asked if "do you need a gun here...are you expecting trouble?" is to say "If I was expecting troubleI'dof brought my rifle."
I like that.

NightOwl

imported post

Ya all are far too serious. Better answer: YELLOW BACON MONKEY MONKEY!!! (Loudly, while jumping up and down while patting your head). I'd be willing to wager they give you plenty of space after that. Joking obviously.

I usually just answer something along the lines of 'It's not that I think I'll need it, it's that I won't have time to go get it if I do.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Best response I've heard yet is what Wayne LaPierre said on Glenn Beck's program.

quote: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." :unquote

Dreamer

imported post

I made soem "Why I Carry" cards to hand out to people. Here is a low-res picture, but the printed cards are much sharper and have VERY good color.

If anyone is interested, I have a hi-res PDF of this file, set up for printing the cards 10-up on 8.5" x 11" cardstock. If anyone is interested in getting a copy of this file, PM me, and I'll send it to you through email, or we'll figure out a way for you to download it, because it's sort of big (1.1 meg).

Your local office supply store should be able to bang them out, double sided in color for about $1 per sheet.

On an interesting side-note, when I was at the local Office Depot getting some of these printed up today, the woman running the copier looked at this card as it was coming out of the copier, handed me a copy to "proof", and said "I totally agree with this. More people should be carrying." She went on to tell me how her mother was a retired Deputy Sheriff, and how she had grown up around firearms and she owned several herself. A manager came over to the area, and jumped into the conversation, and started telling me all about a family heirloom revolver he had--it has been his grandfather's service revolver, and was a S&W .32 with a 6" barrel.

VERY cool people, and they are TOTALLY pro-OC. They will continue to get ALL my office-supply and copying business beause f the fact that not only do they let me carry in their store, most of their staff are personally pro-2A...

Lthrnck

imported post

Well some of the responsed wander off topic a little bit frommy orginal question, I asked about "Do you really need that HERE" vs. Why do you carry, but that is fine got some good answerson both sidesand it kept the thought process moving forward.

It's always nice to see people thinking.

BTW, Dreamer.... I like your card please send me the pdf file. I really like the last one about using all of our rights or they lose meaning.

manicdevery

imported post

i really liked seeing the "why i carry pamphlet in this topic." while reading this forum topicit i started to collect the quotes i really dug to hand out to those who would ask me dumb questions. real glad i read this

Devery

rmansu2

imported post

I'm not quite wure what I think about a preprinted card. I'm not sure how people would respond to something like that.

I think if you believe in something then you should be able to clearly demostrate why you believe without an 'automated' response.

For instance I own a Pickup truck and always will. If someone asked me why I own a gas guzzling, 4 door truck when I don't have kids or work construction, I should be able to make my case without a pamphlet of preprinted answers.

Dreamer

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
I'm not quite wure what I think about a preprinted card. I'm not sure how people would respond to something like that.
I made those cards to hand to people AFTER I'd talked to them. This is a 2-sided card--with the "reasons on the front and the websites on the back. I thought that if people seemed interested, I could han them this card,and the websites would be right there in their hand so they could do further research on their own.

Believe me, I've got NO problem talking about OC to people when they as questions. I've had some VERY positive experiences, and chances to educate people as to the law and their rights here in NC, and in VA too.

ME OCing is like opening the door for them.

My conversation is me guiding them through the door.

The websites are the path toward them potentially becoming "one of us".

This card was never inteded to be a substitute for engaging conversation or friendly discourse, or to act as some sort of "activist brush off". It's more like the icing on an otherwise very tasty and rich cake...

BBR-14

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
rmansu2 wrote:
I made those cards to hand to people AFTER I'd talked to them. This is a 2-sided card--with the "reasons on the front and the websites on the back. I thought that if people seemed interested, I could han them this card,and the websites would be right there in their hand so they could do further research on their own.

Believe me, I've got NO problem talking about OC to people when they as questions. I've had some VERY positive experiences, and chances to educate people as to the law and their rights here in NC, and in VA too.

ME OCing is like opening the door for them.

My conversation is me guiding them through the door.

The websites are the path toward them potentially becoming "one of us".

This card was never inteded to be a substitute for engaging conversation or friendly discourse, or to act as some sort of "activist brush off". It's more like the icing on an otherwise very tasty and rich cake...
Well said I agree 100%! Thank you for taking the time to send the cards to those that want them!

Capn Camo

imported post

That question is baiting you into giving ANY answer, which is dangerous. Then all "they" have to do is pretend that the reason is invalid, and your rights aer gone.

NO REASON is needed. The Constitution does not state any reason, neither do State Constiutions or State laws (ones Im aware of).

Answering that reduces an absolute right to a conditional one which can be hacked away at:

Them: "do you think you need a gun?"
Me: "I think so because someone might break in my house and try to rob me"
Them: "So what we need is a bigger Police State..."

Englewood, maybe not. Tell the stupid SOBs asking the question to go to SECOND ST DAYTON at 3AM and ask that IDIOTIC QUESTION to one of the druggies down there.
After they are robbed/raped/beaten up for the hell of it, then they can lie on the sidewalk and think about it.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Do I think I need a gun?

No more than I think I need to wear a seat belt on any given day. But I still buckle up every time I get in the car.

No more than I think I'm going to have a house fire or Carbon Monoxide leak. But I still make sure to keep fresh batteries in the smoke and CO detectors.

No. I don't think I'm likely to need a gun. But I rather not need it and have it, than need it and not have it.

Charles

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They ask: "Do you think you need a gun here?"

I respond: "Do YOU think I need a gun here?"

They respond: "well no of course not"

I respond: "can I get the winning lottery numbers for Friday, clearly you can predict the future, oh and by the way when will the next crime occur?"

(sarcasm)