Thread: Another

Post imported post

Greetings from NJ! (I know, I know . . .)

I found this site while researching gun laws and advocacy after recently purchasing my fist revolver. I'm familiar with rifles and such, having grown up in PA, and yeah, Jersey is draconian. It rubs against my sense of liberty and personal responsibilty. However, I sometimes find myselfconflicted with some of what I see (through the lens of the mass media) regarding gun rights issues and advocacy. Now, I understand the need to vigorously defend our rights -- heck, I carry a pocket copy of the Constitution in my bag. But I also consider myself as, for want of a better tag, an unapologetic liberal (even radical), in the old school sense that Liberal = Liberty. I just don't see that liberty, personal responsibility and liberalism are mutually exclusive. I'm a complicated person, so . . . I hope that's okay. Hope I haven't over-stepped the bounds of discussion in the general discusison.

-- Kris

Post imported post

WELCOME TO OCDO!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO. Sorry to hear you are stuck behind enemy lines in New Jersey. On the other hand, I promise not to tell anyone that there is one more resistance fighter loose and active.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Welcome! I'm new too.

Sorry to hear you're from NJ. :P

Out of curiousity, is that Kris, as in Kristen?

Post imported post

Kris wrote:

<snip>

-- Kris

welcome. you'll get no grief here. i was born and raised in Jersey. where about?

Post imported post

Kris wrote:

I found this site while researching gun laws and advocacy after recently purchasing my fist revolver. I'm familiar with rifles and such, having grown up in PA, and yeah, Jersey is draconian. It rubs against my sense of liberty and personal responsibilty. However, I sometimes find myselfconflicted with some of what I see (through the lens of the mass media) regarding gun rights issues and advocacy. Now, I understand the need to vigorously defend our rights -- heck, I carry a pocket copy of the Constitution in my bag. But I also consider myself as, for want of a better tag, an unapologetic liberal (even radical), in the old school sense that Liberal = Liberty. I just don't see that liberty, personal responsibility and liberalism are mutually exclusive. I'm a complicated person, so . . . I hope that's okay. Hope I haven't over-stepped the bounds of discussion in the general discusison.

-- Kris

A fist revolver? If you carry that in an ankle holster does it trip you up? :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

A little OCDO humor there (very little):celebrate One thing is you gotta remember never to hand anybody here a straight line, a lot of us will run with it (especially me).

Well, welcome to OCDO and you have got to be better than our Brother Donkey (you'll see...)

It just happens that I have done a whole rant on the liberal/schmiberal thing on my blog, available at http://wwwdailypoop.blogspot.com . The post is titled "tofooey". "liberal" doesn't mean what it did. Wilkommen.

Post imported post

Thank you for all the Welcomes!

Mike_Hawke wrote:
    Kristine, in fact . . .

Harper1227 wrote:
    welcome. you'll get no grief here. i was born and raised in Jersey. where about?
    In the western edge of the Pinelands, near the Williamstown/Turnersville area. We have a small farm there.

Alexcabbie wrote:
    A fist revolver? If you carry that in an ankle holster does it trip you up? :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

A little OCDO humor there (very little):celebrate One thing is you gotta remember never to hand anybody here a straight line, a lot of us will run with it (especially me).

Well, welcome to OCDO and you have got to be better than our Brother Donkey (you'll see...)

It just happens that I have done a whole rant on the liberal/schmiberal thing on my blog, available at http://wwwdailypoop.blogspot.com . The post is titled "tofooey". "liberal" doesn't mean what it did. Wilkommen.
    OOPS! Spell check is no substitue for proofreading. But I dunno if you'll often get much of a straight line from me . . .

Interesting blog. About old Saul: I have a copy of "Rules for Radicals" on my bookshelf -- right next to "The Prince." I believe in diversity. But FWIW, I suspect that "conservative" doesn't mean what it used to either. :? Danke!

-- Kris

Post imported post

Kris wrote:
    Thank you for all the Welcomes!

Mike_Hawke wrote:
    Kristine, in fact . . .
    Welcome Kris! I'm a fan of revolvers myself, though I own some semi-autos as well.

Post imported post

Thanks! My son (who lives in PA) bought himself a 9mm when he turned 21. We shot it off in August while we were sighting in the hunting rifles, and I didn't like it too much. It seemed awkward to use, what with that slider and all, jammed once, didn't fire a couple rounds -- just seemed a hassle. And nobody was able to hit the target with it! Mind, I'd never fired a handgun before. So a local dealer recommended a revolver, simpler design and reliable. My sweetie picked up a S&W .357 w/target grips; I got a S&W .38 Spec. w/service grips. With the smaller grips, I feel like I'm in control of the gun, not the other way around. That's all we have. Not that we can actually carry in NJ . . . but we travel to the hinterlands of PA often.

Post imported post

Kris wrote:
    My son...bought himself a 9mm...I didn't like it too much. It seemed awkward to use, what with that slider and all, jammed once, didn't fire a couple rounds -- just seemed a hassle.
    LOL, I think you came close to describing most peoples' first encounter with a semi-auto pistol, certainly mine almost 50 years ago the first time I shot my dad's service pistol. Rest assured, it doesn't take much practice for things to get a whole lot better, although it takes a ton to get good with any handgun. Getting a knowledgeable coach helps shorten both learning curves a lot.

Here's the deal, you may not own a semi-auto, may never intend to, but what will you do when you find yourself caught up in a situation when it's the only gun around, and you need to use it? That's not the time to learn.

Post imported post

Welcome!

- I am a big big revolver fan too actually, and funny enough i own more semi auto pistols than revolvers. Two of my true loves are a pair of Rugers, a GP100 and an old model Vaquero that's slowly turning to my OC carry gun. Admittedly, for CC i carry a Colt 1911 .45 auto, slim and fit's snug to the side, reliable, strong. I am very proficient with them all since i have practiced most of my life. If left to one pistol, it would probably be the Ruger Vaquero for it's strength, simplicity and reliability. Is it the best in an all out combat situation(?), debatable. First shot yes - fast follow ups, maybe not without tons of practice. My wife likes the GP100 in 357, but is also good with "sparky" (the 1911)... I believe one hit is better than 8 misses, first shot that hits is often where things end or start being resolved.

Again, glad to have with us,

Bat
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.