• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF, NRA, CCRKBA, WAC sue Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Again, it will partly depend on the wording of the decision. If the judge makes it very clear that the city has no authority to ban carry via a rule or regulation under RCW 9.41.290, and it is upheld on appeal by one of the state courts of appeal, then it will be binding precedent on the superior court to follow. If they force re-litigation on a different department on the same issue it would be very annoying to a judge who's case load is very busy due to budget cuts, and would likely read the lawyers for the city the riot act.

I also note that if the city loses, attorney fees and court costs are generally expected from the losing party.

Narrow suits such as this are done for a reason. When we won in Heller, we got the registration ban struck down. DC resisted following the wording of SCOTUS, and refused to register semi-autos since that was not challenged, but further legal attacks in the district court level changed this and they waved the white flag. They also passed a "Handgun Roster" law which referenced California, but then they changed the law to also reference Massachusetts and Maryland, and also any gun made before 1985 is exempt. As a result, Hansen v. District of Columbia was dismissed, and Alan Gura followed up with Palmer v. District of Columbia, a carry case.

Also, let's pay attention to legal developments in California. Nordyke v. King recently went en banc and was heard on September 24th by an 11 judge panel. The bad news is that we as gun owners lost, at the moment, the ability to go to federal court. The good news is that the 11 judge panel is actually favorable to our argument. If fairgrounds are ruled not to be sensitive places by the 11 judge panel for commercial sale of firearms (Alameda's lawyer actually admitted that for self defense purposes, the fairgrounds would NOT be a sensitive area since one can carry a handgun in the fairgrounds under the ordinance that Alameda passed if they happened to have a PC12050 license to carry), then there's no way in hell that a park or a library can be.

The parks gun rule is been a lost cause from day one, whether it be in the state courts, or federal. There's also plenty of precedent even without the 2nd amendment in the federal courts which can be done in regards to the city acting as a landlord, such as Gathright v. City of Portland.

The lawyers in this case as well as the organizations are on the ball, George. Let them do their work.

Kildars

imported post

The new city gun ban has become an issue in the current mayoral race. In a KING 5 sponsored mayoral debate aired on October 21st, both candidates weighed in. Candidate Mike McGinn stated he would use city money to fight a lawsuit, such as the one filed today. Candidate Joe Mallahan stated he would not fight such a suit.

Just an FYI in case you were on the fence on which liberal to vote for as mayor..

jddssc121

Tawnos

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Also, let's pay attention to legal developments in California. Nordyke v. King recently went en banc and was heard on September 24th by an 11 judge panel. The bad news is that we as gun owners lost, at the moment, the ability to go to federal court. The good news is that the 11 judge panel is actually favorable to our argument. If fairgrounds are ruled not to be sensitive places by the 11 judge panel for commercial sale of firearms (Alameda's lawyer actually admitted that for self defense purposes, the fairgrounds would NOT be a sensitive area since one can carry a handgun in the fairgrounds under the ordinance that Alameda passed if they happened to have a PC12050 license to carry), then there's no way in hell that a park or a library can be.
This is all contingent on the outcome of McDonald v. Chicago, as the hearing basically said the court will wait for its outcome before making any ruling.

Bobarino

imported post

This is all contingent on the outcome of McDonald v. Chicago, as the hearing basically said the court will wait for its outcome before making any ruling.

yes, and when it was agreed that the decision was to be reheard, they vacated the Nordyke ruling thus sending the 2A back to its unincorporated status. we have to wait until McDonald.

Thundar

imported post

Why in both causes of action and the request for relief does it ask that Defendants not be able to make any more sill rules against Concealed Carry?

Is there some strange Washington law that would allow the city to enact rules against Open Carry in a city park?

American Rattlesnake

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Why in both causes of action and the request for relief does it ask that Defendants not be able to make any more sill rules against Concealed Carry?

Is there some strange Washington law that would allow the city to enact rules against Open Carry in a city park?
1. I don't know. I'm curious about this as well.

2. No, there is full and complete preemption of all firearms law at the state level.

DEROS72

imported post

The way I see it Fellasit is NOT the time to get into a pissin match over CC or Oc.This suit is about the whole smash.The responsible carry by law abiding citizens in the manner they choose.The suit is inplay to strike downan illegal ban on any form of legalcarry.I for one, most of the time open carry but at times I do conceal.

CC or OC is not the issue it is the ban that encompasses both and that should be our focus.I have alsoread the suit and in my modest experience with these matters feel thay have done a fine job and will win this, at which time oc or cc will be a mute point .We will have retained our right to both.

Kildars

George Washington

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
CC or OC is not the issue it is the ban that encompasses both and that should be our focus.I have alsoread the suit and in my modest experience with these matters feel thay have done a fine job and will win this, at which time oc or cc will be a mute point .We will have retained our right to both.

In the Parks.

George Washington

imported post

Here's some information regarding San Francisco playing whack-a-mole with SAF. I hope that SAF will rethink things and compare Seattle to San Francisco. There is a lesson to be learned which is: "politicians who are devoted to creating disarmed victim zones never ever stop".

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=170

SAF and the National Rifle Association, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, California Association of Firearms Retailers, and several individuals are plaintiffs in the lawsuit challenging the anti-gun measure because it violates California’s preemption law. SAF successfully fought an earlier San Francisco gun ban

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=191

“Today’s court decision to essentially nullify the election was predictable because state law clearly prohibits the adoption of local gun control laws, no matter what the process,” he added. “The Second Amendment Foundation fought this battle and won more than two decades ago. We’ll fight it again tomorrow if necessary.

[align=left]http://www.saf.org/gt/gt132.pdf[/align]

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=135]http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=135

SAF BLASTS PROPOSED SAN FRANCISCO HANDGUN BAN – ‘WE BEAT THAT IN 1982’

Thundar

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
The way I see it Fellasit is NOT the time to get into a pissin match over CC or Oc.This suit is about the whole smash.The responsible carry by law abiding citizens in the manner they choose.The suit is inplay to strike downan illegal ban on any form of legalcarry.I for one, most of the time open carry but at times I do conceal.

OC is ALWAYS the issue at OCDO. Of course members here support efforts to squash Mayor McCheese and his illegal gun ban.

It is a valid question though.

OCers are ALWAYS on the RKBA train. SAF and NRA, however,are notbig fans of OC. All gun owners named in the suit have a government permission slip to CC. The complaint asks for relief from infringement for CC.

Asking the question is NOT getting in a pissing match. It is asking a question.

George Washington

imported post

The issue I have raised is that other city departments have "gun bans", but that the requested injunction is aimed only at the Parks Department. Now after reviewing the discussion about concealed carry and open carry, I re-read the complaint and do see that there is another hole that should be remedied by an amended complaint.

Here's the relevant portion of the relief that is sought:
WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs request that judgment be entered against Defendants as follows:

a. Declaring that Defendants' actions in enacting and enforcing the Firearms Rule were contrary to law and the Firearms Rule is null and void.

b. Permanently enjoining Defendants as follows: (1) enjoining Defendants from enforcing the Firearms Rule in any way, (2) enjoining Defendants from emplementing any other ordinance, law, or rule that prohibits the carrying of concealed firearms at Parks Department facilities during public use of those facilities, and (3) requiring Defendants to immedicately remove all signage posted pursuant to the Firearms Rule.

Now, I'm interested why SAF thought it necessary to use thephrase "concealed firearms" in section "b.".

I suppose the complaint that was filed can be considered a good rough draft thatSAF can use as a basis for a second lawsuit, after they discover that they left holes open for the city to exploit.

deanf

imported post

Perhaps SAF didn't want to include OC for strategic reasons, given that OC is still somewhat of a legal grey area in this state. Why muddle your slam-dunk preemption case with something that is a grey area? No telling where a judge might go with OC when writing a decision . . . .

By grey area, I mean that there is no published Washington appellate court decision which recognizes that OC is legal, and where OC was the only issue at trial, and where the defendant was above reproach.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

a. Declaring that Defendants' actions in enacting and enforcing the Firearms Rule were contrary to law and the Firearms Rule is null and void.

You are conveniently ignoring the above prayer for relief. If the firearms rule is null and void, it's done with, period, for everyone.

Bringing up open carry in this case is beyond stupid. Do you really think it's such a good idea to bring up open carry to a judge? Let's think about this for a minute:

We bring up the issue of open carry in prayer for relief B. It will essentially allow a judge to not only decide on concealed carry, it will allow a judge to go into the details of the murkiness of RCW 9.41.270, perhaps declare that the training advisories to law enforcement is wrong and rule that open carry by itself is evidence of a crime due to the existence of RCW 9.41.270. If that happens, King County will be lost to us for open carry. If it gets appealed and it's upheld, it'll have statewide effect. 4 years of great effort on my part at the beginning, and by all of the others in this state who have been hard at work turning this state around, is gone. Getting positive action out of the Legislature to fix it? Nearly impossible. State v. Casad is not published, so we can't use that to defend open carry in the court system.

I would not have signed onto this lawsuit if I thought that they would be leaving a wide gaping hole for the city to drive a truck through. Come on, George, give me a little credit here.

DEROS72

imported post

I absolutely agree with Gray. It is indeed beyond stupid.Why are you guys worried about wther open carry is mentioned .Leave it alone! It doesn't need to be.Leave this go forward as planned and don't gum up the works worrying about OC or CC it doesn't matter.When this is all decided in our favor as I saidwe will still have the our rights intact...Nothing needs to be ammended.

George Washington

imported post

Gray, I have never advocated that the lawsuit should mention open carry, and I absolutely do not believe it should even mention open carry. Consider how one of the statements is written:

(2) enjoining Defendants from emplementing any other ordinance, law, or rule that prohibits the carrying of concealed firearms at Parks Department facilities

Now, consider a statement that I would written, if I were an editor:

(2) enjoining Defendants from emplementing any other ordinance, law, or rule that prohibits the carrying of firearms at Parks Department facilities

The statement as written by the attorney specifically states "concealed firearms". If you get rid of the word "concealed", neither concealed or open ever even becomes an issue. The insertion of the word "concealed" into the statement appears to be unnecessary,with the potential to cause complications. Considerone of your objections to what I said when you pointed out how you don't want to have a fight on open carry. OnceSAF is granted the injunction, considerthe possibility that the city may decide to obey the order to get rid of the existing signs, but then decide to force the issue of open carry,by creating a new rule that is aimed only at open carry, but exempts citizens with CPLs. I don't think this would be extremely likely, but it is possible the city might go down this road simply to keep burning the time/resources of SAF. But, if you keep this concealed/open neutral from thevery beginning, younarrow the ability of the city to even try this tactic on rounds 2 and 3.

As a parallel, consider the recent "almost successful" reciprocity bill that was sponsored by Senator Coburn. As written, it would have created reciprocity for concealed carry licenses, but not for licensed open carry-states, simply because Senator inserted the word "concealed" into the text of the bill, at the worst possible place.

Gray, although I am criticizing the text of the complaint filed by SAF, I am not criticizing you personally, so I hope that you will not take my criticisms as an individual. I am simply pointing out, what I believe to be flaws in the complaint that I believe will lead to additional, and unnecessary bouts in the fight.

If I had influence with the attorneys who wrote the complaint (and I don't), I would suggest the following:
  1. Remove the word "concealed" from the above described text.
  2. Add the Library Director as a defendant.
  3. Specifically seek a forced revision of the "Code of Conduct" brochures that are issued by the library.
  4. Not necessary, but a nice bonus would be the addition of a plaintiff that frequently uses the library. An ideal plaintiff would be a mother with children. Since I'm not a mother with children, and don't use the Seattle Public Library, I would not be a good candidate for serving as this plaintiff.
Gray, I am requesting that you respectfully consider what I have written, and sleep on it for a few nights before dissmissing my thoughts.

DEROS72

imported post

In my dealings I have become aquaited with who some of the dealers and gang leaders are.I thought I would get in touch with them and also go downtown to all the panhandlers and crack dealers and give them a list of all the places where guns are not allowed and advise them they would have free reign in these areas because no one is allowed to protect themselves. Also I will be posting the following sign in these areas and anti gun businesses.