Thread: OC To a court house?

Post imported post

So I do not have an automobile due to an auto accident and it's in the body shop. The next few days I will be taking a metro bus around, or just staying at home. However, I have to go to the Chandler Municipal Court. What are the rules regarding carry to the courthouse? I am from Seattle and in Seattle they have to provide a storage locker to store your firearm and you check it at the door. Is that allowed here?

Post imported post

Call the courthouse and ask. You can get a for sure answer that way
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

Just called the chandler courthouse and the girl seemed freaked out that I would even ask.

Post imported post

So, after she freaked out did she get you the answer to your question?

If not, I expect she has a supervisor of some sort and if the Sup. freaks ask for their supervisor. They are obligated to answer your question.

Post imported post

Yeah she said. "No way.."

Post imported post

This is the 'Chandler' that busted a kid in Middle School last year for drawing a 'raygun' doodle on a papers margin. Zero Tolerance at work. Zero Intellegence at work.

I really don't think Chandler is gun friendly. 'Maybe why that serial rapist got away with his act for so long... No guns in the homes.

Post imported post

I guess the rules are different per courthouse because I called the Maricopa County Superior Court in Phoenix and they said they would check it for me..

Post imported post

Now granted I haven't been in AZ for about a year at this point, but when I was there, and had to go to the capitol building with my friend, I checked my knife in at the gun locker because I forgot it was in my pocket, but my gun was in the car.

As far as I remember from the chat we had with the nice officer lady running the door, as well as from reading elsewhere about AZ gun laws, I had thought that government buildings were required to have storage, or allow carry. Am I remembering wrong?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Yep, check ARS Title 13, section 3102.01

Post imported post

By Michigander: "As far as I remember from the chat we had with the nice officer lady running the door, as well as from reading elsewhere about AZ gun laws, I had thought that government buildings were required to have storage, or allow carry. Am I remembering wrong?"

I think you are correct and believe the question should be asked of Courthouse Security rather than an operator that freaks out because of the mere mention of a gun. :shock:

You need to work your way up the chain of command Kildars until you get the right answer.

Post imported post

You may have asked her the wrong question. If you asked "Can I OC in the courthouse" I'm sure the answer would be no. Of course you can OC to the court house but there will likely be a "No Weapons Allowed" sign on the entrance. That means that you proceed through the entrance and alert security that you need to lock your gun up for storage while you attend your court date (or whatever). The law requires that they check it for you. Do not try to "sneak" the gun past them unless you want a lot of court dates.

Post imported post

State law requires they have secure holding for your firearm. Call back, and ask them where their gun lockers are, and how you get to them when you arrive. period. No "can I", or "may I", just the facts, "where are they, and how do I get one".

Post imported post

See this is why I ask here instead of calling the courthouse. I was unarmed for most of my day today and I hated it.

I asked the question correctly. I asked the lady, "I will be traveling by bus to your courthouse, and I will be armed, do you have lockers I can check my firearm in, or a place for me store it?" and she said "No Way." I was short on time, so after my post I left.

I have to go back on the 17th of Nov, so I plan on getting it checked next time.

Post imported post

Did you verify they have lockers while you were there and if so what is the answer?

Post imported post

No, I wasn't carrying. It was the quickest trip to a court house I've ever had. I walked into the court and it was just the judge and I. It was interesting, she was wearing casual clothes. /shrug.

Post imported post

I will carry on 11/17/2009 and tell you the results.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I would like to know if they have gun lockers at the Tuscon court house. I will be there next week. I will be taking one of the PHX shuttles down there and will not have a place to secure my side arm.

Post imported post

My court case got pushed to tomorrow, so I will OC tomorrow and update you all.

Post imported post

Went to the courthouse, checked firearm, no problems at all. Faster and Easier than when I did it in WA State.