• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just two questions....

muccione

imported post

How much of my gun has to be showing for it to be "open" and not concealed?

When I get in my vehicle...can I keep the gun on my person....

glock30

imported post

muccione wrote:

The second part of that question has been the subject of much debate here before. Some cops will say if they can't see it when approaching then it's concealed. I'm not sure there was ever a definitive answer.

NCjones

imported post

glock30 wrote:
muccione wrote:

The second part of that question has been the subject of much debate here before. Some cops will say if they can't see it when approaching then it's concealed. I'm not sure there was ever a definitive answer.

The answer to the first question is literally "it depends". In NC, having one of those little belt-buckle derringers is "concealed" even tho the whole side of the pistol is clearly visible. From what I have read (IANAL) inside the waistband holsers are OK. A holster that covers the entire pistol except for the grip is OK. Basically, if the butt is showing and is not disguised, it is legal. There is a guy that hangs out at the pawnshop that my friend owns. Every time we have a BS session, he shows up carrying a glock in one of those nylon shoulder holsters and I swear the entire thing is covered except for the back of the grip. The first time I saw it I wasn't sure if it was a shoulder holster or a purse. LOL. I believe if the nut had to actually draw it I believe he'd have to fish around in there to find it.<--JOKE. Actually, I think it was a previous holster he had and it's not made for the glock and it is simply too large and swallows the gun. Every few days a deputy comes in to check the "stolen items" report against the pawn tickets. No one has ever said anything to him about it. One deputy friend that hangs out with us said it was no problem if it was "recognizable as a weapon or holster". Again, IANAL.

As for the rest,
I've been OC'ing since the 80's . I've been thru many traffic checks and traffic stops and have never had a problem with it on my side. I have a big ass console in my truck and if I lay my arm on the but of the pistol it is totally hidden fromview. So, I put my hands on the wheel so the officer can see them and so he won't think I'm trying to cover my weapon with my arm.

The issue is intent. If you're wearing a jacket or big shirt or something that makes the officer think you are hiding it he'll probably give you grief. If your ball cap is covering the butt he'll give you grief. At least in NC, just because he can't see it on my right hip when he approachess the driver side doesn't mean it is "concealed". If that was the case, you wouldn't be able to carry in your vehicle in a reasonable manner.

The best thing to do when you get pulled for traffic is simply greet him with "Officer, I have an unconcealed weapon on my right hip" and then do as he asks. Then he won't be concerned that you are trying to hide something.

muccione

imported post

NCJones.....You Sir are a COP:banghead:.....I can't trust anything you say:cry:......Cops make up laws as they see fit:cuss:..... Violating peoples rights is a TRAINED practice:banghead:....You support the violating of rights:uhoh:....And you willingly give up your our rights like a Muslim woman...:celebrate

NCjones

imported post

Yeah, you're right. I was baiting you. The best thing for you to do is hide the gun under your seat and when the cop comes to the window spit on him, call him a pig, and tell him your teflon bullets can penetrate his vest.

So disappointed my plan backfired.

Dreamer

imported post

Muccione,

The fact of the matter is that NC firearms do have a few segments that are VERY vague, and were intentionally left vague to allow for officers to use their "judgment" in the field. Most of these painfully vague laws (like the CC laws, and the "pistol Purchase Permit") are left-over Jim Crow laws that have never been taken off the books. They were passed during Reconstruction with specific Racist intentions, to be vague enough to allow officers to use them against Blacks, but to let whites slide, based on their "judgement" and the person's "character". These laws are bad, racist, and anti-freedom, and we need to work toward getting them done away wit in NC...

Currently, in NC, a lot of these vague laws come down to perception. If you look like "trouble", then a cop is going to be stiff in his application his interpretation of the law. If you are polite, informative, well-groomed, and articulate, you'll probably get a pass, even if you are treading in dubious territory (like wearing an IWB holster, but leaving the grip uncovered.

Personally, I don't make nearly enough money or have nearly enough leisure time to volunteer to become a "test case" on this one. I have a NC CHP, so when I want to CC, I can. But in NC, OC is legal.

Dude, just go out and buy a decent OWB holster. You can get a decent holster for under $50. IWB holsters are a HUGE compromise on many levels--harder to draw from, less comfy, more wear on your gun, decreased mobility, etc. Just buck up and get a decent OWB holster, that would be my advice.

But IANAL. And you can do whatever you want. But if you're young-ish, or even the slightest bit "freaky looking" (long hair, tattoos, wearing offensive t-shirts, etc) or are a "brown person" of any shade, you're probably going to get hassled wearing a gun in an IWB rig without having a CHP, and you MAY get charged with illegal CC or GATTTOTP...

I'm not saying that all the LEO's in NC are racist--far from it--but the LAWS are undeniably racist in their conception, and have fostered an historical environment very supportive of racial profiling.

Mr. Glock

imported post

Listen! just do everything by the book, let the pistol be visible to all law enforcement officers (leo) who approach the vehicle or public carry. Don't let wait to informleo that you have an unconcealed weapon on your hip, every leo is different on how they interpret the law, meaning if they couldn't see it for themselves, then it was considered concealed to them. It may not be concealed in your eyes but, was to leo. So it's best not to test the waters by leaving it on your hip if you don't have aCHP. Best place to have it if you don't have a CHPis plain sight dashboard, passenger seat, and top of console with 360 view. Now, if you want to carry on your hip while in a vehiclethen my opinion is to go apply for your CHP and have both options available to you, happy trails.

glockaholic

imported post

My own personal experience... just more information to add to the mix. I was pulled in Durham once and the cops gave me some grief for having my gun lying on the passenger seat. I had applied for my carry permit, but hadn't received it yet. They didn't ticket me or arrest me or anything, but they were clearly a bit ticked that I was carrying openly that way. I think the fact that my permit was making its way through the system probably helped them realize I wasn't a baddie. And I have to give them some leeway given that they work in Durham and the neighborhood I was passing through has a ton of illegal drug activity. I don't fault them for being ticked. But the point is that I didn't get arrested for carrying openly on my passenger seat.

glock30

imported post

glockaholic wrote:
My own personal experience... just more information to add to the mix. I was pulled in Durham once and the cops gave me some grief for having my gun lying on the passenger seat. I had applied for my carry permit, but hadn't received it yet. They didn't ticket me or arrest me or anything, but they were clearly a bit ticked that I was carrying openly that way. I think the fact that my permit was making its way through the system probably helped them realize I wasn't a baddie. And I have to give them some leeway given that they work in Durham and the neighborhood I was passing through has a ton of illegal drug activity. I don't fault them for being ticked. But the point is that I didn't get arrested for carrying openly on my passenger seat.
You're happy that you only caught a little grief for obeying the law?

ocgso

imported post

NCjones wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I was baiting you. The best thing for you to do is hide the gun under your seat and when the cop comes to the window spit on him, call him a pig, and tell him your teflon bullets can penetrate his vest.

So disappointed my plan backfired.

Now that is funny:lol:

I am very careful what I say around police officers, because a few of them are the type that think whatever they say is the law. However, one of my best friends is Greensboro PD, and most cops are just hard working guys who want to go home to their families.

Before I had my CCH, I would carry mine on my right hand side in the car with the thumb break open. If I were blue lighted or approached a traffic stop, I simply laid the gun on the passenger seat (if alone) or on the dash (if the passenger seat is taken). Never had an issue with this....

My 2 cents...