• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" posted malls

gluegun

imported post

I don't want to highjack the other thread anymore than it already has, so here's a new topic:

I know Brass Mills and Buckland Hills are both posted. I suspect most malls in CT are posted if you look in the right location.

Where I've seen postings:
- Inside the first set of doors to the mall from outside. Usually on one of the walls before you get to the next set of doors. Typically on their "Code of Conduct."
- Inside the mall on a stand somewhere with other things you are prohibited from doing at the mall.

Places I have never seen postings:
- At ANY entrance to an anchor store
- At ANY entrance to a restaurant in the mall
- At ANY entrance to any other store in the mall

As an example, Here's what I found at Buckland Hills just now.
Posted:
Mall entrance between Panera and Bertuccis
Mall entrance between Macy's and JC Penney
Mall entrance between macy's stores posted.
Mall entrance near Ruby Tuesday's

Not Posted:
No entrance to JC Penney, inside or out
No entrance to either Macy's, inside or out
No entrance to Barnes & Noble, inside or out
No entrance to Dicks, inside or out
Previous trips have also shown Panera and Bertucci's entrances are not posted.

Didn't check:
Any Sears entrance.

Attached is what the bottom half of the "Code of Conduct" sign looks like.

Rich B

imported post

Considering they aren't going to know about a concealed weapon until you use it, it would be nice if there was a law that struck down any other laws if you properly acted in self defense.

That would effectively destroy these signs.

gluegun

imported post

If they had just worded it "No illegal weapons or firearms" it could reasonably be argued that a permit holder is well within his rights to carry his firearm. It's not "illegal" to do so, after all. Unfortunately that is not the case.

One day I may try to sit down with mall management and talk to them. I know it won't do anything but I sure would feel better about it.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

No Firearms or Illegal weapons.

My Firearms are not Illegal!

We should have an open carry party in their parking lot! The sign says nothing about outside the door. LOL!!

gluegun

imported post

None that I've heard of yet.

New Britain, however, does prohibit concealed carry:

Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles, razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty. (Code 1970, § 15-12) State law references: Similar provisions, G.S. § 53-206(a).
There's no exception in the law for anyone with a permit to carry. They also have an ordinance stating that anyone with a reasonable belief that they or someone in their family is at risk of attach may apply to the Chief of Police for a permit to carry. That ordinance also doesn't specify concealed, which would make sense, because it's illegal.

Shall we have an event in New Britain?

mrjam2jab

imported post

gluegun wrote:
If they had just worded it "No illegal weapons or firearms" it could reasonably be argued that a permit holder is well within his rights to carry his firearm. It's not "illegal" to do so, after all. Unfortunately that is not the case.

One day I may try to sit down with mall management and talk to them. I know it won't do anything but I sure would feel better about it.

Being as just about every mall in America hs very similar Rules of Conduct...I'm not sure speaking to management would help. Would need to speak with the corporate owner....

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

gluegun wrote:

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles, razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty. (Code 1970, § 15-12) State law references: Similar provisions, G.S. § 53-206(a).
There's no exception in the law for anyone with a permit to carry. They also have an ordinance stating that anyone with a reasonable belief that they or someone in their family is at risk of attach may apply to the Chief of Police for a permit to carry. That ordinance also doesn't specify concealed, which would make sense, because it's illegal.

ABSO F ING LUTELY!!!!!!!!:celebrate

metalman

imported post

gluegun wrote:

:question:Does this mean you can't carry a pistol at all in New Britain? If so how is it possible for New Britain to ignore the Connecticut state constitution? http://www.cslib.org/constitutionalamends/constitution.htm
http://www.cslib.org/constitutionalamends/constitution.htmOr does this ordinance mean you must carry pistol/s open and exposed? I can do it that way if they prefer.

gluegun

imported post

The New Britain mayor has been asked how their ordinance reconciles with state law, and he said something to the effect of "I'll look into it." Clearly he didn't care and never looked into it.

I take it to mean that you MUST open carry in New Britain. Whenever I drive through NB, I make sure to uncover my CCW.

MGoduto

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Westfarms Mall is NOT posted. Just checked.

I live right down the road from WestFarms in New Britain. I've never seen any signage either. Even if it was there, I'd most likely ignore it.

I've OC'ed inCalifornia Pizza Kitchen, Ruby Tuesday, PF Chang, Brio Tuscan Grill, Rainforest Cafe, the Apple Store, andPizzeria Uno (when it was there). I got a wide-eyed look from a guy in the Apple Store, but nogrief from the mall-cops in theirneat uniforms and state trooper-ish hats. I'm guessing I blended into the background too much.

stacks04

imported post

i must commend you guys. i dont have the stones to oc yet. for some reason i just cant get over the fear. i would much rather oc simply because my fat assness limits my cc abilities greatly:D

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

stacks04 wrote:
i must commend you guys. i dont have the stones to oc yet. for some reason i just cant get over the fear. i would much rather oc simply because my fat assness limits my cc abilities greatly:D
Stacks,

If I may suggest to you Join CCDL if you haven't already. We are not just some Pro Open Carry group. we are a group of concerned citizens trying to help protect ALL gunowners.

There is some proposed legislation that WILL make printing an arrestable offense.
With heavy fines and jail time.
Once again I must say that this PROPOSED LEGISLATION is in its infancy and has only just been written.

We are watching it closely and will need to respond when the time is right.

I understand how CC can be extremely uncomfortable! (Read between the lines "Fat assness" here too!)

I know that I dont want to go to jail just because my shirt is to tight and my gun is printing!!!

http://www.ccdl.us Membership is free...Participation is priceless!

Carry On!

Lenny

stacks04

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
stacks04 wrote:
Stacks,

If I may suggest to you Join CCDL if you haven't already. We are not just some Pro Open Carry group. we are a group of concerned citizens trying to help protect ALL gunowners.

There is some proposed legislation that WILL make printing an arrestable offense.
With heavy fines and jail time.
Once again I must say that this PROPOSED LEGISLATION is in its infancy and has only just been written.

We are watching it closely and will need to respond when the time is right.

I understand how CC can be extremely uncomfortable! (Read between the lines "Fat assness" here too!)

I know that I dont want to go to jail just because my shirt is to tight and my gun is printing!!!

http://www.ccdl.us Membership is free...Participation is priceless!

Carry On!

Lenny
understood. i have been here for a few weeks and also signed up at the ccdl last week. i am with you guys on all your concerns hence the reason why i am here. i also read that legislation on the other gents site, mr peruta??? dont remember. it is scary for sure. these shootings as of late dont help matters.