• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with DW

mahkagari

imported post

Last week my old clunker blew up. I bought it in a rush to replace my previous clunker that blew up. Since I had less urgency this time, I found my wife a new (to us) car in Aurora. Since both the seller and I had full work schedules, we ended up setting up a meeting time after dark.

DW had drawn the cash and I asked her for it as we drove away from our house. I muttered that I had forgotten the money belt I usually wear when I have to carry large sums of cash. She said, "But, um, you did bring a large hunk of metal, right?" I nodded, and she said, "See, THIS is an appropriate time for it."

She acknowledges that there are times when carrying is appropriate. She also acknowledges if the only reason you go someplace is because you're armed, you ought not go there in the first place. She's still in the process of being sold on better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it in terms of sidearms. Mainly for logistic and training reasons. (She doesn't often wear belts nor is she trained on defensive shooting or drawing from a carry purse.)

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Run this by your wife.

So it was a good idea to be armed when carrying X amount of money? Yes.

What if it was Y amount of money? Well, yes then as well.

Well, isn't your life and well being worth more than that? It is to me!

I have never understood why people think it's okay to carry a weapon to protect "things" but not to protect people.:banghead:

I think it's that theft is something that we can accept and insurance will cover but muggings, rape and murder are Boogiemen that are just to scary to consider and will go away if we just close our eyes.

I strongly recommend that you and her spend some time at http://www.corneredcat.com. She answers a lot of your wife's concerns as well as how to incorporate a weapon into her wardrobe.

LoveMyCountry
http://www.reachtheworld.net

mahkagari

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
I have never understood why people think it's okay to carry a weapon to protect "things" but not to protect people.
You're missing her meaning. It's not about protecting the "things". It'sabout protecting oneself when known to be carrying the "things". I was going to The Forbidden Land of Aurora known to be carrying a large amount of cash. If there is a disagreement (I get there and the car's been trashed or the seller decides to meet me with several of his friends for other than selling a car) it's best to be able to protect myself. We also had planned for her to not be in the middle of it but nearby to call for help if "something went wrong". Like with everything else, it's about weighing risk versus feasible logistics.