• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOT OFF THE PRESS OLR ON OPEN CARRY ETC.

GoldCoaster

imported post

gluegun wrote:
Rich B wrote:
How are we supposed to abide by the law if no one can even tell us what it is?
We know the law. It's getting the government and it's agents to understand.

Since DPS is apparently unwilling to ask the AG the question we all want answered, the next best option is to find another person with the authority to make such a request.
But here's where the story gets cloudy, when DPS found out that the AG's office was stating that "DPS hasn't asked us to provide a declaratory ruling regarding this issue" and DPS found out about it they were NOT happy.

DPS asked for this from the AG's office 2 years ago if I remember correctly.

There's something really rotten in Hartford and in this once instance I'm inclined to believe that DPS did ask and the AG's office did NOT answer.. same as they continue to NOT answer all our various queries to them.

Edward Peruta

imported post

DPS knows the answer and so does the Attorney General.

They just want the issue to go away.

They are delaying the answer in hopes that they can get the law changed before they have to answer.

Then they will say: "THAT'S WHAT THE LAW USED TO SAY"

And that's why it is so important to join and financially support the CCDL.

buketdude

imported post

or the minority leader of the Senate or House of Representatives.

Anyone from Norwalk?? your rep is the House Minority Leader

Lawrence.Cafero@housegop.ct.gov
Phone:
800-842-1423 (within Connecticut)
860-240-8700

Anyone from
Easton, Fairfield, Newtown and Weston??? Your Senator is the Senate Minority Leader

Email: John.McKinney@cga.ct.gov
Home Address: 300 South Gate Lane
Southport CT, 06890
Home Phone: (203) 254-1639
Work Phone: (800) 842-1421 or
(860) 240-8805

I can also talk to my Senator, Senator Kissel. I don't know his views on Open-Carry but he is a lawyer, is the minority leader on the Judiciary Committee, and has been vocal about the insanity of CT's Gun Laws.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Senator John Kissel is a straight forward no holds barred individual who I consider a friend.

He has been copied on much of my research and has always been willing to listen to a fact orientated presentation.

Ed Peruta

gluegun

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
gluegun wrote:
Rich B wrote:

Since DPS is apparently unwilling to ask the AG the question we all want answered, the next best option is to find another person with the authority to make such a request.
But here's where the story gets cloudy, when DPS found out that the AG's office was stating that "DPS hasn't asked us to provide a declaratory ruling regarding this issue" and DPS found out about it they were NOT happy.

There's something really rotten in Hartford and in this once instance I'm inclined to believe that DPS did ask and the AG's office did NOT answer.. same as they continue to NOT answer all our various queries to them.
Then more people need to realize that the AG isn't doing his job. The more people who aren't getting the answers they're looking for, the more likely it is that the AG will HAVE to start doing his job, or he'll end up with egg on his face. We all know how much he likes to look good for the camera.

MGoduto

imported post

gluegun wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
gluegun wrote:
Rich B wrote:

Then more people need to realize that the AG isn't doing his job. The more people who aren't getting the answers they're looking for, the more likely it is that the AG will HAVE to start doing his job, or he'll end up with egg on his face. We all know how much he likes to look good for the camera.

A neighbor of mine works for the AG. We talked about the open-carry issue in this state and I asked if his boss would be issuing a statement clarifying all of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) sown by our friends in the DPS.

My neighbors answer: no way in hell would the AG touch this question.

I believe him.

GoldCoaster

imported post

MGoduto wrote:
gluegun wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
gluegun wrote:
Rich B wrote:

A neighbor of mine works for the AG. We talked about the open-carry issue in this state and I asked if his boss would be issuing a statement clarifying all of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) sown by our friends in the DPS.

My neighbors answer: no way in hell would the AG touch this question.

I believe him.
I told him face to face last month that I and many others were looking forward to something definitive from his office when his office gets the results from the Kuck Goldberg hearing in the 2nd circuit court of appeals.

I also believe your neighbor, until he has the state assembly banging on his door demanding it he will sidestep. Perhaps Glenn Beck could go up there with a camera crew and ask him on the record, that would be an amusing show. We know how much those two like each other.

gluegun

imported post

Up until fairly recently, the State Police and the civilian review board that handles permit issues have issued statements saying that it was against the law to openly carry a handgun even if you held a valid "Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers." On this advice police (state and local) were being trained that it was illegal to open carry.

When these claims were challenged, both organizations realized there was no basis in law to make those claims and removed the statements. However, they have never publicly acknowledged that open carry is legal.

There are still a large number of police, and non-LE citizens, out there who believe open carry is illegal. Even though James Goldberg was carrying concealed at the time, he was arrested for exposing his handgun. He has had the charges dropped and his permit returned to him, but is currently suing the state for the amount of time it took for his permit to be returned: over 500 days.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Here in Pennsylvania it took a continuous, massive letter-writing campaign by numerous handgun owners to the Attorney General, the State Police Commissioner, members of the House and Senate and all the individual members of the training commission responsible for putting out the training materials. Finally, annual training came out clearly stating that open carry was indeed legal.

Write those letters! Ask your elected representatives why your police aren't being properly trained.

MGoduto

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Here in Pennsylvania it took a continuous, massive letter-writing campaign by numerous handgun owners to the Attorney General, the State Police Commissioner, members of the House and Senate and all the individual members of the training commission responsible for putting out the training materials. Finally, annual training came out clearly stating that open carry was indeed legal.

Write those letters! Ask your elected representatives why your police aren't being properly trained.
What also doesn't help the situation is the mis-information passed on in somepermit classes where CT is called a concealed-carry state. Though that's mildly annoying, the fact that cops are taught the wrong thing in cop-school makes my a**hole want to pucker...

mrjam2jab

imported post

MGoduto wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

What also doesn't help the situation is the mis-information passed on in somepermit classes where CT is called a concealed-carry state. Though that's mildly annoying, the fact that cops are taught the wrong thing in cop-school makes my a**hole want to pucker...

We've got issuing sheriffs that give out mis-information....they hand you your license and a sheet of "Rules"...some of which is correct, some of which is not... :banghead:

gluegun

imported post

Good ideas, Statkowski.

Since you're not from CT, I just want to point out the CT doesn't have county governments, but sending the documents to various state officials would provide the same effect.

dcmdon

imported post

It would help if the person in the linked to string of emails didn't refer to a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers as a Connecticut CONCEALED pistol and revolver permit.