• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry at a community center?

b1ack5mith

imported post

Its a 9-12 meeting at salem community center. I checked, and its 1351' away from a school, so im safe there :D I will be carrying my revolver! Ill call up sgt. jensen to see if he wants to go too :p I'm going to assume it's legal, since it is not a federal building.

P.S. it starts at 7:00 PM tonight

151w 300s salem utah

StuartG

imported post

i am not one to comment on such thing's lol considering i am currently dealing with the same issue but i will advice to check and make sure that the center dose not have a day care as with the copper view center they are trying to use that on me and a buddy as a school zone

i know this is a late post but for future reference

b1ack5mith

imported post

almost everyone there was carrying :p none OCed though. I was thanked by several people for carrying my revolver :D

PLUS a pretty, conservative chick was checkin me out (not because of the gun either ;))

around 30 people were there, and a dude who is THINKING about running for governor... forgot his name, think mike lee or somethin?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

StuartG wrote:
i am not one to comment on such thing's lol considering i am currently dealing with the same issue but i will advice to check and make sure that the center dose not have a day care as with the copper view center they are trying to use that on me and a buddy as a school zone

i know this is a late post but for future reference
Remember the law says you had to know it was a school zone.

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.

(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Remember the law says you had to know it was a school zone.

76-10-505.5. Possession of a dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun on or about school premises -- Penalties.

(1) A person may not possess any dangerous weapon, firearm, or sawed-off shotgun, as those terms are defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about school premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
No, it says if know "or has reasonable cause to believe" is a school zone.

In other words, willful ignorance, or "missing" signage, or simply being grossly unaware of your own neighborhood is not going to be much of a defense. Further, even a successful defense will cost something in terms of time and money.

This may make for a last ditch effort to avoid a conviction or force a favorable plea deal offer in cases of honest mistakes. But no prudent person should rely on it as a first line of defense for carrying where the law current prohibits.

Anyone who can get a permit to carry should seriously consider getting one. Anyone who can't probably ought to be extra careful about when and where and how they carry anyway. All else being equal an 18-21 year old is going to get hassled more than a 50 year old. And anyone who doesn't qualify for a permit because of actual conduct (rather than just being too young) such as drug or alcohol offenses is really not going to have many supporters if he ends up carrying someplace that is technically off limits.

Charles