• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Violent Crime Forum, Yakima Convention Center

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Event is happening November 12, 2009[/i]

Would be great for some pro-gun sorts to be there. The agenda is clearly anti-gun, not anti-violence.

[align=center]Agenda[/align]
9:00 am Coffee and Check in
9:30 am Welcome – Pat McDonnell, City Manager, Vancouver
Opening Comments -- Mayor Dave Edler, Yakima

10:00 -10:30am Break Out Sessions
10:45 -11:15am Break Out Sessions
11:30 – 12:00pm Break Out Sessions
Break Out Session topics include:

· Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Randy Town, School Safety Coordinator, ESD 105
· Domestic Violence
Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence invited
· Violent Crime & the Business Community – Pharmacy Robberies
· Gun Shows
Agent Steve Foreman, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
· Violent Injury & Death Reporting System
Dr. Beth Ebel, Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center
· Protecting Children and Other Citizens from Gun Violence - Laws Hindering Solutions andHow to Amend Them and Work Within Them.
Craig Ritchie, City Attorney, City of Sequim
· Role of the Cities in Addressing Violent Crime
AWC invited
· The Challenges Facing Local Jurisdictions in Establishing Reasonable Standards to Protect Public Health & Safety
Mark Pursley, Washington Violent Crime Prevention Partnership

12:15pm Lunch/General Session

1:30-2:00pm Building a Coalition in Washington – Breakout Sessions

2:15 – 3:00pm Building a Coalition in Washington – General Session

3:00pm Closing Comments – Mayor Dave Edler

3:30pm Adjourn

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

OpenCarry on site?

As long as you have your CPL, you will not be breaking any law carrying your weapon. Would you be asked to leave? Probably.

RCW 9.41.300
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Where does it say in the agenda that it is "antigun, not anti-violence?"

M1Gunr wrote:
Would be great for some pro-gun sorts to be there. The agenda is clearly anti-gun, not anti-violence.

[align=center]Agenda[/b][/align]
9:00 am Coffee and Check in
9:30 am Welcome – Pat McDonnell, City Manager, Vancouver[/i]
Opening Comments -- Mayor Dave Edler, Yakima[/i]

10:00 -10:30am Break Out Sessions
10:45 -11:15am Break Out Sessions
11:30 – 12:00pm Break Out Sessions
Break Out Session topics include:

· Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Randy Town, School Safety Coordinator, ESD 105[/i]
· Domestic Violence
Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence invited[/i]
· Violent Crime & the Business Community – Pharmacy Robberies
· Gun Shows
Agent Steve Foreman, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)[/i]
· Violent Injury & Death Reporting System [/i]
Dr. Beth Ebel, Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center[/i]
· Protecting Children and Other Citizens from Gun Violence - Laws Hindering Solutions andHow to Amend Them and Work Within Them.
[/i]Craig Ritchie, City Attorney, City of Sequim[/i]
· Role of the Cities in Addressing Violent Crime
AWC invited[/i]
· The Challenges Facing Local Jurisdictions in Establishing Reasonable Standards to Protect Public Health & Safety[/i]
Mark Pursley, Washington Violent Crime Prevention Partnership[/i]

12:15pm Lunch/General Session
[/i]
1:30-2:00pm Building a Coalition in Washington – Breakout Sessions[/i]

2:15 – 3:00pm Building a Coalition in Washington – General Session

3:00pm Closing Comments – Mayor Dave Edler[/i]

3:30pm Adjourn

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
You had to quote the whole thing to ask that question Hank??

My inside knowledge on the agenda says anti-gun.

Can you elaborate on the "insideknowledge?" How is it "anti-gun?"

Is it all "anti-gun" or just some parts?

For example, is this agenda item "anti-gun?":

Violent Injury & Death Reporting System [/i]
Dr. Beth Ebel, Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center[/i]

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Hank I am unable to elaborate on my findings. Considering your location, how can you help?

Edit - some of the activities are anti-gun, not all.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

If any of the Yakima folks have information on the Convention Center please pass it along.
Is the center City owned and run or is it run by a third party like the 2 stadiums in Seattle?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Hank I am unable to elaborate on my findings. Considering your location, how can you help?

Sounds like you don't really have support for your statement, then.

Are you going to the event, M1G?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Just to please you Hank, I filled out the forms and will be attending the event. Here's the info I have....

The Yakima mayor is a member of the "Mayors Against Illegal Guns."
This is clearly sponsored by Mayor Five Penny and the organizer Mark Pursley is the "gun violence prevention coordinator." It isn't too difficult to read the session titles and translate their real meaning, like
"Gun Shows" by the BATF will probably be "Gun shows and how we can work together to close the loophole."
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]"The Challenges Facing Local Jurisdictions in Establishing Reasonable Standards to Protect Public Health & Safety" by Mark Pursley (City of Seattle) will probably be "The Challenges Facing Seattle in Prohibiting Guns in Public Parks and Public Buildings."[/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Do a search for the Washington Violent Crime Prevention Partnership, and what do you find? Nothing. However what you do find through the "Office of Management and Budget and the Department of Justice is [/font]that an additional $200 million would be targeted through the Violent Crime Reduction Partnership Initiative to support multi-jurisdictional task forces to help communities that have experienced an increase in violent crime.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The Convention Center is owned by the City of Yakima. It is managed by the Yakima Valley Visitors and Convention Bureau.

-
Connie Upton, CMP
General Manager
Yakima Convention Center

Same issue at the 2 Seattle Stadiums and the 1 in Kent. While you won't be charged for carrying a weapon (as long as you have your CPL) If you are found with a weapon you will be asked to leave or be trespassed.

heresolong

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The Convention Center is owned by the City of Yakima. It is managed by the Yakima Valley Visitors and Convention Bureau.

-
Connie Upton, CMP
General Manager
Yakima Convention Center

Same issue at the 2 Seattle Stadiums and the 1 in Kent. While you won't be charged for carrying a weapon (as long as you have your CPL) If you are found with a weapon you will be asked to leave or be trespassed.
Maybe. If the purpose of the YVVCB is to run the Convention center and/or it is funded by the city then it would fall under the same preemption as the city. Anyone know what the YVVCB is?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Anyone know what the YVVCB is?
The Yakima Valley Visitors and Convention Bureau provides a resource for Yakima Valley businesses to aggressively market their business while taking advantage of the many member benefits the Bureau offers. It is through the support of our members that the Yakima Valley Visitors and Convention Bureau can competitively market the Yakima Valley as a tourist destination.
Membership Department Mission Statement: "To provide our member organizations with marketing tools, networking opportunities and benefits that will enhance and grow their business."
Membership contributes to the stability of the Bureau and provides members with quality benefits and outstanding customer service. If you would like to receive additional information regarding membership or request a membership application, please contact Michelle Hopkins at (509) 575-3010.

If the purpose of the YVVCB is to run the Convention center and/or it is funded by the city then it would fall under the same preemption as the city.
It looks like it solicits private funds to run the center (except for upgrades). The way I read it, while it is owned by the city it is run by a private organization and there for exempt from preemption.

heresolong

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
It looks like it solicits private funds to run the center (except for upgrades). The way I read it, while it is owned by the city it is run by a private organization and there for exempt from preemption.
I know this is a recurring topic, but this is a huge hole in the preemption statute which needs to be addressed (if we ever get a gun friendly legislature and governor at the same time in Washington). The fact that any city can just hire an outside company to run all their stuff and state law no longer applies just bugs me.

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

Sounds like you don't really have support for your statement, then.

Are you going to the event, M1G?

Hank,

There you go again.

M1 is right. How do I know? My spidy senses are tingling.

The Agenda for this eventis a regular gun grabber orgie!!!

Come on Hank, is you want to play devil's advocate do it in the marginal areas, not here when members see evil for what it is, call it out and propose action to confront it.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Event is happening November 12, 2009[/i]
The agenda is clearly anti-gun, not anti-violence.

Did anybody end up attending this event? I found a reference to it on ConcealedCarry.com and this article from the Yakima Herald. Sounds like it was anti-gun . . . but of course the ATF and the Yakima Mayor said they're not after anybody's guns.

Charles

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/11/12/gun-show-loophole-has-some-weapons-smuggled-into-mexico
Gun show loophole sees many weapons smuggled into Mexico
by CHRIS BRISTOL
Yakima Herald-Republic

YAKIMA, Wash. -- ATF agent Jessie Summers tried to deal with misconceptions before he talked about the illegal gun trade in Central Washington.

"We're not here to take anybody's guns," he told a group of city and law enforcement officials from across the state gathered at the Yakima Convention Center. "The image of us being jackbooted thugs doesn't hold water."

Not that Summers is worried so much about public image of federal agents. He and fellow ATF agent Steve Foreman said Thursday they were much more concerned about the so-called "gun show loophole" that allows unlicensed firearm dealers to circumvent background checks.

Two days before a gun show at Central Washington State Fair Park, Summers and Foreman warned that a large percentage of guns that are smuggled into Mexico come from gun shows in Eastern Washington.

According to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Washington state is the No. 4 source in the country for illegal guns in Mexico.

"Actually, it's just Eastern Washington," Foreman said. "When it comes to gun shows, this part of the state is wide open."

Foreman and Summers cited a recent case when rival drug cartels got into a shootout in Tijuana. Fifteen of the 60 firearms -- many of them semi-automatic assault rifles and high-powered pistols like the FN Herstal -- recovered were traced back to the Tri-Cities, they said.

While the U.S. has become a lucrative market for Mexican drugs, Mexico has become a lucrative market for American guns, the ATF agents said. A gun that retails for $1,000 here can sell for up to $4,000 south of the border.

Representatives from 27 cities across the state attended the daylong forum, which was organized by Seattle city officials and hosted by Yakima Mayor Dave Edler. The topics included Violent Crime & the Business Community (pharmacy robberies), gang crime, domestic violence, and the role of cities in addressing violent crime.

The ATF session on gun shows drew about 30 people, including Yakima County Prosecutor Jim Hagarty, County Sheriff Ken Irwin, Yakima City Councilwomen Kathy Coffey and Maureen Adkison and Yakima police Capt. Jeff Schneider.

The ATF agents made it clear that their beef is not with licensed firearm dealers, who are required to do background checks on buyers no matter where business is conducted, whether it's a storefront, a home or a gun show.

Instead, they complained of the so-called "gun show loophole" that allows unlicensed dealers to get around the government's background-check requirement by masquerading as "private collectors."

Summers, who is in charge of the ATF's Yakima field office, said a majority of dealers, legitimate or not, won't sell guns to sketchy characters, or someone who appears to be a gang member.

But a small percentage of unlicensed dealers have no such scruples, he said.

"It's cash and carry and then it's gone in the wind," Summers said of gun shows. "Ninety-nine percent are good sellers. It's those very few out there in it for a buck who's killing it for the rest of us."

Added Foreman, "He'll sell to anybody and everybody, trade up or trade down, he doesn't care ... It's actually a great business, if you don't get caught."

The ATF agents said they have to walk a fine line between policing gun shows and not appearing too aggressive, given the political climate around gun laws. They said they're often accused of harassment if they ask too many questions, and that Congress has held a tight rein on the agency.

Summers and Foreman acknowledged that requiring background checks at gun shows wouldn't end the illegal gun trade but said it would be a deterrent and help federal agents trace illegal sales more easily.

They also suggested that Washington should adopt California's law requiring a record of all private gun transfers and that an off-duty officer be stationed at gun shows. Last year, a man from Granger stole a pistol at a gun show at the Convention Center and fled on foot. He was arrested at a nearby 7-Eleven store.

Officials from across the state attended Thursday's crime forum at the Convention Center, including Vancouver City Manager Pat McDonnell and Spokane police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick. A number of local dignitaries were also on hand, including state Rep. Norm Johnson, R-Yakima, and Sen. Curtis King, R-Yakima.

In opening remarks, Edler noted Yakima's problems with gangs and guns, and alluded to his controversial membership in the national gun-control group Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

"Boy, has that caused me some headache and grief," he said. "But I'm willing to take it if it's something that can help make my community safer."

Part of the goal for Edler and other city officials was to lay the groundwork for an organized lobbying effort in Olympia on violent crime.

The Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center commissioned a statewide survey in February to try and assess public views on gun laws.

Bob Scales, a senior analyst for the city of Seattle, said the survey found that 88 percent of the registered voters favored restrictions on gun show sales. In Yakima, support among voters was 68 percent.

Scales said support for restrictions on gun show sales was 65 percent, even among those who identified themselves as members of the National Rifle Association.

He said the survey should come as an eye-opener to lawmakers, whom he accused of failing to enact common-sense restrictions like background checks at gun shows out of deference to the NRA.

"In Olympia, except for mental health issues, they don't want to touch anything to do with firearms," he said.

* Chris Bristol can be reached at 509-577-7748 or cbristol@yakimaherald.com

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Unfortunately I was not aware of this seminar as I live in Yakima and would have attended.

You are correct that Mayor Edler is a member of MAIG and was pretty stead fast about his membership in addressing the city council and took a stance of that he will step down if he was not approved to be a member.

A resolution was offered and seconded and passed to authorize his membership at that meeting where the public was not offered the ability to prepare for responses. From my understanding to add something to the agenda it must be posted 20 days prior to being placed on the agenda.

Sure I could probably go in and bring this before the council and state that the resolution is null and void just to have them properly put it before the council to pass it anyways.

During my involvement of rescinding firearms prohibitions in Yakima I hope to have a working relationship with the Mayor and Council which unanimously voted yes for removing the gun restrictions and emergency powers of prohibiting firearms.

I am hoping this will carry over and I will be meeting with Mayor Edler next week to discuss some of these issues as to The Gun Show Loop Hole and his MAIG involvement.

If any of you have research information or reference material on either please forward it to me as I will be compiling factual information for the discussion and review.

My initial feelings about the Mayors involvement is that he may have been hood winked as others have on the real agenda of MAIG, he does care about the gang and crime in Yakima and searching ways to improve the situation in Yakima.

By the way from my understanding this Seminar was setup by MAIG as stated in the council meeting referred to earlier in my post.

PoppaGary

imported post

These types of events are ones we definitely need to keep an eye on and attend if possible. We need to get small quick action teams in the different areas that could get 2 or 3 people together to monitor if not actually able to present our side.

I plan on writing the Vancouver City Mgr to gaugehis position and takeon these issues.

I really didn't like the section "Protecting Children and Other Citizens from Gun Violence - Laws Hindering Solutions andHow to Amend Them and Work Within Them.
Craig Ritchie, City Attorney, City of Sequim".

It doesn't seem right that the CityAttorney would be working as lobbyist; I doubt thelaws creatinggun free zones was considered as one of the "hinderances".

Gary