View Poll Results: Have you had advanced pistol training?

12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, one class

0 0%
  • Yes, more than one class

6 50.00%
  • No, and I don't see the need

1 8.33%
  • No, but I want to

5 41.67%

Thread: Advanced Training - have you had it and what kind?

Oklahoma, USA

Post imported post

Some of us have already had it. This is for those who haven't and are wondering Why should I?

The majority of us have had at least a Concealed Carry Handgun Licensing class. The requirements vary from state to state. This is generally a very basic test of the shooter's ability to load and shoot a firearm. In my state, only 70% target was required to pass. This was after 4 hours of instruction, a 20 question pass/fail test, then targets at 3 yards, firing 5 shots in 5 relays, at standard silhouettes.

So what's next. How many of you are looking for more of a challenge? More scenarios?

The answer to these and other questions is to take more classes. There you will meet like-minded folks with the same questions and thirst for knowledge and skills as you. The classes are a great way for couples to participate in an activity together. You should be able to find a certified instructor/class. Do your research.

For those of you who are into revolvers, you might want tojoin a Cowboy Action Shooting club. There are active chapters of CAS and SASS all over the country with plenty of competitive shooting along with the persona and role playing. Fun family activity!

Finally, join a competitive shooting club. There are plenty all over the country, check at your local gun stores/shooting ranges,look onlineat for those nearest you and take a friend/significant other.

For those who are still looking for more challenge, pick up the "other" gun. If you are partial to a semi-automatic, pick up a revolver and get good with it. If you are into revolvers, pick up the semi-auto and get good with it. Pick up a rifle and get good with it.

A couple of notes about shooting ranges: generally the indoor ranges do not allow shooters to recover their brass. Outdoor ranges generally require you to police your own brass, so it is possible to save your own brass. Both types of ranges usually have a brass bucket that they recycle to help defray costs of the range. Most indoor ranges do not allow any shooting stances other than the "belly up to the bar," most outdoor ranges will allow stances from prone to standing, and if it is empty when you are there, you can practice "running & gunning" and draws.

A couple of notes about ammo: buying in bulk is the way to go, so if you and a buddy can get together to afford a case of ammo, you will save as much as 50% on your ammo. You could also buy ammo from a CERTIFIED reloader, but you generally cannot shoot this ammo on an indoor range. Also, when you buy from a reloader, you are purchasing the brass AND the load for the first purchase. This brass should only be shot where you can police your own brass. Pick it all up, sort it and when you get close to the end, send the empty brass back for cleaning and reloading. It will be a lot cheaper the second time around. Your reloader will either replace what isn't good, or you can take the loss which shouldn't be more than 3% of total. Some reloaders will even accept mfg brass for recycling (not reloading) as a credit towards your purchase of reload.

Don't stagnate with doing the same thing each time you go to the range. Expand your skills.

Some of the classes I have taken and would take again:

• First Response to Active Shooter - good for situations like Virginia Tech
    • Low Light Shooting Techniques - good for dark parking lots or home
    • Tactical Pistol - fast draws, one hand, shooting from car
    The following are some of the guns I own and all my family can shoot and clean each and every one, and we practice on a regular schedule with all:

• Vintage Springfield M14 - .308 cal
    • SKS - 7.62 x 39 Nato
    • AR15 - .223 cal
    • M1A1 - .30 cal
    • Puma 1892 Lever Action - .357 cal
    • Remington Speedmaster Model 552 - .22 cal
    Single Action Revolvers:

• Arminius 1896 Repro Navy Colt- .357 cal
    • Heritage Mfg.Rough Rider- .22 cal
    Semi Automatic Pistols:

• CZ75B - 9mm
    • Kimber Ultra Carry II - .45 cal
    • Springfield EMP - 9mm
    • Bersa Thunder - .380 cal
    • Beretta Bobcat - .22 cal

• Beretta ES100 - 12 ga semi auto
    • Beretta 390 - 20 ga semi auto
    • Harrington & Richardson Pardner - 12 ga Tactical pump

Again, this is not to turn you into some kind of vigilante or LEO-wanna-be, this is to expose you to real-world situations with discussions, videos, and skills practice. The more skills you have, the greater knowledge you will have to evaluate situations and the more options you will have for your response. You have already proved that you are a responsible gun owner, and honing your skills demonstrates just how seriously you take your responsibility.

The first time I was presented with a situation of assault after I started carrying, my first response was not to draw my gun, but rather it was to try a less lethal solution that happened to work. I would not have tried that particular solution if I did not have the gun. I was able to try something less than lethal because I knew if it didn't work, I always had the option of lethal force as a last resort. When the Sheriff got on scene, he commented after interviewing another bystander that I would have gotten a "justified shoot" from him if I had shot. Thankfully I didn't have to ultimately.

The second time I was threatened, I dropped into a defensive-ready stance with my hand on my weapon. That was enough for the idiot to back down and leave.

FYI - I am 5'nothing, half a century old, and female with some extra pounds in my lower half. I won't win any physical fitness awards at this time, my back is gimped up quite often lately so that limits my physical activity severely. I have also had a few decades of physical intimidation from larger, stronger folks, which I notice much more lately. I even wonder if folks would try physical intimidation if they new I was carrying, at times, but my state only allows CC. The point is, you are not too old to get out there and add more skills to your repertoire.

We hope we never have to use these skills, but if we do, they are there to help us through the situation. Meanwhile, we can have fun learning and meeting like-minded folks in a relaxed, mildly competitive, professional situation. The more training you have, the more qualified you are in your decision to use lethal force, and the more qualified you are to make that determination.

What I have noticed as the most common opposition to any non-LEO carrying a gun is the question of competance ... whether a civilian will have qualifications to recognize when to deploy lethal force. The next most common objection is whether or not you will "go postal" and start shooting up a public place ... as if. After advanced training, you can then answer, "Yes, I am certified, but it's none of your business." This training will give you more weapons in your arsenal than just a gun.

Remember, this is my personal opinion. Theremay be legal rammifications of advanced training in different states, so ask questions before you take a class.

cheers - okboomer
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Post imported post

I've taken multiple classes relating to firearms. I was stupid to open carry without training, though many other people are uneducated at some point in their life.

Training increases response time, awareness, and all around quality surrounding everything firearms.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.